09 Jaguar XF - Rear Disc replacemnts - Gorfett
I recently took my car in for a software update and while in the garage a free heath check was performed on the car.

I was told that the rear discs were worn down to a point when they needed to be changed.
I assumed that they meant the disc pads but was assured that it was the actual discs that needed changing at a cost of about £490.

I pointed out that the car had only covered 16000 miles since new, I use the gears to slow me down most of the time and I do not generally brake hard, therefore I considered the quality of the original discs to be suspect and was assured that this wear and tear on the discs is normal.

However I pointed out that I have driven for over 50 years and have never had to replace the discs on any car that I have owned,

Before deciding on whether to carry out the repair I spoke to the Jaguar head office technical dept and was told that using the cruise control and the speed limiter will dramatically increase the wear on the rear discs and therefore is was to be expected and initially resisted any blame.
However after protestations I was given a credit note for £250 to assist in the cost of the replacement discs.

The car has since been into the garage very recently for a service and MOT having covered not more than 200 miles from when the discs were changed and the MOT report stated that the rear discs have only 2mm of wear left before they need to be changed.

I immmediately checked the discs for wear and as I expected, the wear was practically undetectable.

So the question is, are Jaguar making the discs deliberately thin in order to keep the workshop busy or are Jaguar using inferior quality metal in the manufacture of the discs, or alternately, are the brake pads too hard and therefore effectively grinding the discs down too quickly.

09 Jaguar XF - Rear Disc replacemnts - Collos25

The rear discs are worn out yet the front discs are that do all the work are OK there is either a drastic fault with the rear brakes or they are trying it on.I suggest that you take it to another garage or if you are in a motoring organisation get them to look.

One reason could be the garage skimmed the original discs hence the thinness.

Rear discs under normal conditions doing average mileage should last around 40k plus miles.

09 Jaguar XF - Rear Disc replacemnts - madf

, I use the gears to slow me down most of the time and I do not generally brake hard,

So the rear disks rust and wear away...

09 Jaguar XF - Rear Disc replacemnts - andyp

+ 1

Gears to go - brakes to slow !

09 Jaguar XF - Rear Disc replacemnts - injection doc

Jaguar are actually having problems with rear discs on XF models currentley.

It appears that most are wearing out rears before the fronts and the rears are suffering extreme build up very quickly.

It may be worth having a look at the XF forum as you will see so many owners really complaining about excessive rear pad and disc wear ! some in as littlle as 3000 miles yes three thousand ! not thirty thousand.

Just been reading up on this topic as thinking about buying one new after poor experince with a Landrover !

09 Jaguar XF - Rear Disc replacemnts - gordonbennet

Are the electric handbrakes releasing fully?

3k miles is ridiculous, what else is going to come up as these cars age.

I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.

09 Jaguar XF - Rear Disc replacemnts - Falkirk Bairn

My son's Lexus was in for a service - it had front disk issues............they phoned him to tell of the problem............disks are free and as your pads are only 50% worn we will charge you 50% of the new pads.

Reason - apart from servicing and wearing parts we would cover it under warranty........nice touch!

09 Jaguar XF - Rear Disc replacemnts - injection doc

what else is going to come up as these cars age.

Well Gordon Bennet, you should try owning a Landrover Freelander 2 worst experince by far ! worst car, worst service and by far the worst customer service ever experinced in 35 years of motoring ! & 6 whole pages of A4 of faults and experinces and breakdowns

Reading between the lines I think it may be related to brake balance and the vehicle electronics like DSC !

I think reading up on the Jaguar reliability its not bad in comparison,I had a few X-types diesels and they were ultra reliable.

09 Jaguar XF - Rear Disc replacemnts - Cyd

+ 1

Gears to go - brakes to slow !

I third that! Wearing out your brakes is WAY cheaper than wearing out your clutch. Using gears like this hasn't been taught for decades.

On a 7 year old car I don't regard that as at all excessive. Rear discs corrode a lot more than fronts because they get less use. Especially on a low mileage car.

But don't pay over the odds. Go to an independant and get a second opinion and a quote for branded aftermarket discs and pads. I used Mintex on my Saab all round and am pleased with them. Rear discs and pads (from Premier in Walsall by post) came in at well under a ton and I changed them myself in under 2 hours.

Consider having the brakes bled if you've not had it done before.

09 Jaguar XF - Rear Disc replacemnts - Brian costin
The best way to deal with all these dose it want doing issues is to go to another branch tell them the car is within there warranty and say do you think these brakes are ok never fails bean in the trade to long these workshops have targets called the customer, sorry couldn't help that .
09 Jaguar XF - Rear Disc replacemnts - madf

Rear discs on my 2012 Jazz with 23,000 miles are original and nice and shiny. I have an auto - so brakes to slow and I like to drive down hills# quickly so disks get some exercise..

Also when I have washed the car, I either drive it OR reverse it hard and put handbrake on to clear water off discs.

I am an obsessive about such things , but if you don't the pads seize on..

#(We have lots of hills - some quite long and steep)

09 Jaguar XF - Rear Disc replacemnts - Cyd

Rear discs on my 2012 Jazz with 23,000 miles are original and nice and shiny. I have an auto - so brakes to slow and I like to drive down hills# quickly so disks get some exercise..

Also when I have washed the car, I either drive it OR reverse it hard and put handbrake on to clear water off discs.

I am an obsessive about such things , but if you don't the pads seize on..

#(We have lots of hills - some quite long and steep)

You make a good point, but your car is half the age of the OP's!

09 Jaguar XF - Rear Disc replacemnts - Brit_in_Germany

An the OP's post seems somewhat confused. The disks only have 2 mm of wear on them when new, so the tester was essentially saying there in no wear.

The first change was also probably too early - there is no indication of what the state of the disc was before they were changed and the usual get out for the dealer is saying they did not think they would last until the next service so advised changing.