Civic Aerodeck immobiliser - Bill.L
I've owned a 1998 Civic 1.8 Aerodeck since new. But in the last 18 months, I've been having intermittent problems with trying to start the engine. When the problem occurs, it can take me a few minutes before the immobiliser decides to let the engine turn over.

Normally, I turn the key to position '2', wait a second, then start the engine. But lately, the engine fails to turn over and the immobiliser light starts flashing after releasing the key.

The local garage suggested waiting until all the dash lights go out after putting the key in in position '2', then try to start the engine. I tried this for several months, but I still found that the engine occasionally would not start and the immobiliser light starts flashing after releasing the key.

The spare key isn't any better. I've tried reducing the number of keys I have on my key ring. On two occasions, I was on the brink of calling out the recovery service to tow my car to the nearest garage.

This might be a conincidence, but the problem only started happening shortly after I had the rear box replaced on the exhaust, and I started using the car at weekends only about the same time too.

Does anyone know if the Honda (Valeo?) immobiliser uses rolling codes and what frequency band it operates on?

Any suggestions welcome.

bill

Civic Aerodeck immobiliser - David Davies
Bill
It sounds as if there may be a problem with the receiver unit behind the ignition lock and it could be as simple a poor connection or loose wires.I'd suggest removing the steering column shroud and inspecting.If no obvious problem found your Honda dealer would be the most effective way of fixing it.
David Davies (Tune-Up Raglan)
Civic Aerodeck immobiliser - Bill.L
thanks David for the reply. I will take a look.

Do you know if ignition keys interact directly with the receiver unit, or is there also a separate mini-aerial/pickup coil by the ignition switch?

bill

Civic Aerodeck immobiliser - David Davies
Bill
I think it is a separate aerial or pick-up unit around the ignition lock assembly which transmits to an immobiliser ECU.
David Davies (Tune-Up Raglan)