Skoda Fabia 1.9 TDi estate - Can't make my mind up! - Hopeful!

I am looking at two cars. Both Skoda Fabia 1.9 TDi diesel estates.

Number one is 2005 with 85000 miles. It has full service history, most with Skoda. But needs a cam belt change. Asking Price is £3,400. It is a private sale.

Number two is 2002 with 11000 miles. It has full service history. It will have a cam belt/water pump change in the price. £2,495. It is a dealer sale.

This is the make and model I would like. How do I choose between them?

Skoda Fabia 1.9 TDi estate - Can't make my mind up! - GavoTheSane

I'd try to knock down the price on the 2005 to cover the cambelt and pump at least a little bit.

Thank you for givong me your thoughts GavoTheSane. Appreciated.

Skoda Fabia 1.9 TDi estate - Can't make my mind up! - balleballe

2002 with 11k miles? Was is supposed to be 110k?

Skoda Fabia 1.9 TDi estate - Can't make my mind up! - balleballe

If it is indeed 110k, then i'd take the first one.

Yes, it's almost 1000 more, but it has covered 25k less and is 3 years newer.

If it's on for 3400, they'l most likely accept 3200. A new cambelt and waterpump can be supplied and fitted for that from an independent garage.

I'm pretty sure VAG dealerships charge around £400 for the job - so use this as a bargaining tool to drive down the price.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated. Your advice makes good sense.

Skoda Fabia 1.9 TDi estate - Can't make my mind up! - Big John

On the 2002 model did you mean 11,000 or 110,000 miles!

The 1.9tdi produced around that time (up to 2006)is one of the best VAG deisel engines. After this they moved away from the reliable Bosch solenoid diesel injectors. Also no troublesome Diesel Particulate Filters. Both should achieve 50mpg+.

Presuming the 2002 version is 110,000 miles I personally would go for the newer one. 10 years old & 100k+ is usually the age/mileage where you start suffering suffering suspension, steering and driveshaft problems (age is significant). Not showstoppers but repairs can quickly munch through the difference in price. I think there should also be room for negotiation on the price.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated. Your advice makes good sense. You were rght, the mileage of the second car was 110,000 miles.

Skoda Fabia 1.9 TDi estate - Can't make my mind up! - 5cylinderdiesel

Hi

I have a 2002 1.9 SDi, so the one without a turbo. Obviously slower but probably one of the most reliable engines any money can buy and also one of the cheapest cars to run. I get 57mpg if I drive as I want and over 60mpg if I take it easy. At 115 000 miles I recon it's run in now. If you're not bothered about the extra power do consider the SDi. Fantastic little work horse. The only criticism is you can spend a little on drive shafts and the rear doors can leak if it rains a lot. I had to spend on the shafts at around 100k. If some of this has already been done on the older car then it will be the better buy I think as you will have to spend it on the younger car. Otherwise a highly reccomendable little car and I am confident I can get quite a few more years out of it. The body will fall apart long before the mechanics give any troubles. So I would save the £1000 if it will make a big difference to your budget and if the older car was well looked after (you will spend less than £1000 even if you do both drive shafts at Skoda). (If you go for the SDi you will save even more as a similar age car will cost £2000 and less).

Good luck

Edited by 5cylinderdiesel on 18/05/2012 at 22:57

Thank you so much for your advice. Am now finding it even more difficult! Will look at one of each! Kind regards, Simon.

Skoda Fabia 1.9 TDi estate - Can't make my mind up! - 659FBE

A 2005 1.9 Fabia will be a PD diesel - from the best period. I'm not sure what engine was fitted to this vehicle in '02 but even if it's a PD it will be less good - and the rest of the vehicle certainly will be. Wheel bearings and front suspension components don't wear well on this chassis so get the newest one you can.

If you have ever driven a PD and an SDi back to back in similar weight vehicles you would never ever want to drive the SDi again. The 1.9 PD gives you the choice of economy or a really good "shove" of torque - as dictated by your right foot. It's also a reliable unit when properly maintained.

If an '05 PD is on your radar and the other vehicle parameters are right for your job, snap it up - at the best possible price of course. In my view, this engine is the best small diesel produced and is devoid of energy and reliability sapping appendages such as DPFs.

Get an competent Independent to change the cambelt using a full kit and, most importantly, replace the water pump at the same time.

Edited by 659FBE on 19/05/2012 at 16:25

Well, I went for the 2005 (Nov reg 55) TDi. So car is really only 6 1/2 years old. The seller reduced the price for the cost of replacement oif the cam belt by £250, to £3,150. It drove the 50 miles home at 64 mpg!

Thank you for your advice. It was really appreciated. Will get cam belt and water pump (with metal impellors?) changed asap.