5k Challenge - AVB

Hi,

Looking for some help on the 5K challenge, the £5k is the total I am looking to pay. Looking for a decent vehicle to do over 35,000+ miles a year that is both reliable and fuel efficient. I would be the only passenger mainly motorway driving, old car was a petrol 1.2 which was costing me tons on fuel so maybe a diesel.

Advice on what maximum mileage I should be looking and age would be great total newbie!!

Thanks in advance

Edited by AVB on 16/05/2012 at 16:14

5k Challenge - Jase

First generation Skoda Superb 1.9PDI with the 130BHP engine.

Good economy, performance and without the DPF/DMF issues and other complexities of later diesels. Capable of high miles if correctly serviced. Also, being a big car, very comfortable on motorways.

You wouldn't have to spend your whole £5k getting a good one.

See HJs Car By Car Breakdown for tips on this model and also what to look out for on the 1.9 engine.

5k Challenge - Bobbin Threadbare

OP, don't worry yourself unduly about high mileages on the clock. You need to be looking for good examples which have been well cared for and had proper maintenance on them.

Look at taxis as a guide to which diesels can take that much driving - a diesel is a good idea for you as your p.a mileage merits it.

I echo the Skoda suggestion. The Octavia is also a good bet.

You wouldn't have to worry too much about DPF issues as your mileage is enough to burn all the deposits off and regeneration shouldn't be a problem for you.

With £5k, and the DPF worry out of the way, the world is your oyster. The Honda Accord is a decent comfy cruiser, and a Mondeo would also be nice to drive. Lots of different trim levels too so you can find something to suit. £5k gets you around an 07 plate.

5k Challenge - AVB

Thanks for all the great responses will hopefully look for a few Skoda over the weekend, also what do you guys think of the Focus TDI or Astra 1.7cdi. Just gives me a few options.

Thanks Again

5k Challenge - Bobbin Threadbare

Focus would be pretty good - I used to do a 30k pa commute in a petrol one and it was comfortable and fun to drive. Can't tell you much about the diesel aspects of one. I have to say, Astras do not appeal to me at all.