Stored vehicle and DVLA - davecooper

A colleague has just got an old motorbike that has been buried in a barn for the past 20 years. All the paperwork up to about 1990 was with the bike. He intends to rebuild it and get it back on the road. However, he is a bit concerned that this has not had a SORN for the period that a SORN has been required. There has been no correspondence from the DVLA during the period it has been out of use. Is he likely to have any problems when going through DVLA for change of ownership and SORN?

Stored vehicle and DVLA - jc2

He appears to have taken it off the road before the introduction of SORN which is not retroactive.As long as he still has the registration documents,it's just a trip to the post office with application form,MOT,insurance and money-if he's lost the registration documents,then it's a trip to a local DVLA office who will issue a replacement V5 on proving ownership.I should add that he needs to inform the DVLA of change of ownership-just fill in the relevant section on the V5.

Edited by jc2 on 15/05/2012 at 10:27

Stored vehicle and DVLA - FredTransit

Just one thing. I read somewhere that, unlike other vehicles, VRMs relating to motor bikes are routinely withdrawn from use (ie taken back by the DVLA) if they are not taxed or SORN. Perhapse somebody can confirm this? If so, it doesn't mean the bike's ID is gone forever. Plenty of barn find classics that were put away before the 'new' DVLA computer closed for adding old registrations (I think in 1978) could still get their original VRM back, it just needed to be proved by paperwork.

Stored vehicle and DVLA - SlidingPillar

If the bike/car was registered with DVLA, so a V5 exists, the registration should be safe. If the vehicle layup pre-dates that, and it was only registered with the local authority, then DVLA may have reissued the number plate. If not, and if you can prove entitlement, there is a proceedure to go through where you should get the original number back.

Take plenty of photos!