Renault Scenic - Diesel vs Petrol - Fairly specific scenario - GavoTheSane

I know the conventional wisdom is that unless you do >10,000 miles, you're better off with a petrol car, especially for short runs. However, I'm after an MPV like a scenic, if the initial car cost is the same, then all I can see are savings by getting a diesel, especially if I go for one without a DPF (or FAP as the french call them).

Are there any disadvantages to a diesel for daily short town runs, usually with 3-4 people in the car, and the occasional bi-monthly motorway run?

Renault Scenic - Diesel vs Petrol - Fairly specific scenario - unthrottled

The initial cost for a diesel will not be the same for a comparable spec and age.That's the kicker.

The other two snags are minor.

1. The diesel engine isn't as flexible in stop-start traffic as a petrol.(You will notice this with a 1.5 dci in a Scenic)

2. On short journies you have to wait longer for the heater matrix to warm up.

No other real problems.

Renault Scenic - Diesel vs Petrol - Fairly specific scenario - gordonbennet

Daily short town runs, perfect Diesel car would be a naturally aspirated Berlingo Multispace, tractable right down to stall speed, and extremely economical.

That 1.9D is a superb engine, without the turbo it isn't going to be a road burner but will do your motorway runs without the slightest bother.

Edited by gordonbennet on 12/05/2012 at 11:01

Renault Scenic - Diesel vs Petrol - Fairly specific scenario - Avant

Buing a used French car is always going to be a gamble, as they are more vulnerable to neglect or abuse. But the Berlingo has quite a few fans on here - less so the Scenic.

If you need something a bit bigger than a Berlingo, try a Toyota Verso and compare petrol and diesel prices. The 2.0 diesel is a stronger performer than the 1.6 or 1.8 petrol, so one of the same age may cost more.

Edited by Avant on 12/05/2012 at 12:43

Unfortunately neither me or my wife are fans of the berlingo's looks!

We're looking at french because you seem to get newer cars for good money, and they look rather nice too. I would prefer something Japanese myself, like a Honda FR-V, but they're either thirsty petrols or outside our price range.

Should have mentioned my budget is £6k

Edited by HoagieKat on 12/05/2012 at 14:11

Renault Scenic - Diesel vs Petrol - Fairly specific scenario - gordonbennet

Fair enough, Berlingo is a bit of a Marmite looks wise i suppose, i like 'em cos they're simply a van with windows so basic tough and reliable.

Renault Scenic - Diesel vs Petrol - Fairly specific scenario - Bromptonaut

Fair enough, Berlingo is a bit of a Marmite looks wise i suppose, i like 'em cos they're simply a van with windows so basic tough and reliable.

Agree with GB. Even if you're not keen on the looks you can't see the outside from inside!

Ours did 106k trouble free miles until a fortnight ago when clutchwent. Would have been avoided if I'd moved more quickly on my indy's advisory. But then he's been giving me same advice on my Xantia (150k) for the last fourty thou!!

We hired a Scenic on the Western Isles a couple of years ago. Fairly basic petrol model, not new by any means, 53 plate IIRC. Did the job well enough, comfortable and easy to drive, no trouble in the snow and ice we expereinced either. I'd have had the same trouble with wipers jamming in freezing rain on my own car.

I kept stalling it but that's down to being used to a diesel.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 12/05/2012 at 16:50

We've now ruled out a scenic as it has under floor storage and our car seat has a base with a leg, so we're probably going to go for a megane 1.5 DCI diesel.