Nissan X-Trail - Fuel leak - cormiston

I have a 2006 2.2 Dci X-trail. Filed the tank this morning and noticed constant fuel drip from under the back of the car when I got home. Took to local mechanic who says the lift pump from the tank has failed and needs to be repleced. Nissan apparently quoting £350 for the part and no aftermarket alternative - seems very expensive for what it is. Has anyone seen this before or have any ideas for an alterntive solution that might be cheaper. Mnay thanks for your help.

Nissan X-Trail - Fuel leak - Peter D

A failed pump would not cause a leak but a failed pump to tank seal may be the cause of this drip. Regards Peter

Nissan X-Trail - Fuel leak - cormiston

Thanks for that Peter. Have been told that the pump casing has rusted through and that is the problem - we live in Scotland so I imagine quite prone to salt etc in the winter but does that sound plausible to you?

Nissan X-Trail - Fuel leak - elekie&a/c doctor

Most modern cars have a plastic fuel tank and the fuel pump housing is also made of plastic.Perhaps the x trail is different?Not sure tbh.

Nissan X-Trail - Fuel leak - xmfclick

Thanks for that Peter. Have been told that the pump casing has rusted through and that is the problem - we live in Scotland so I imagine quite prone to salt etc in the winter but does that sound plausible to you?

Did you find an alternative fuel pump? I bought a 2005 X-Trail diesel in July, and the lift pump "went" on me a couple of days ago -- same symptoms, fuel dripping out quite fast from somewhere around the rear axle. The mechanic got the pump out, but he was swearing like a trooper at whoever designed the thing, because it was very hard to access. Anyhow, the casing is steel and had rusted through. My X-Trail was Scottish (ex-police vehicle, as it happens). The mecahnic says the location of the pump is ridiculous, absolutely prone to rusting esp. where salt is used on the roads, in addition to being very hard to get at. So, how did your story end?