Volkswagen Up 2012 3 door - TakeUpreview - Leif

Avant suggested I post my impressions of my new VW TakeUp.

I have posted a review in the review section of this site, but in summary I am very pleased with the car and I am chuffed to get 60mpg on the last three refuels. The engine is perky, the interior is attractive albeit slightly basic, and it is good fun to drive, with decent space in the front and the back, plus a decent sized boot. If you do not cover many miles, then the Polo might be a better proposition as the interior is a step or two up in terms of quality, but since I do 60 miles a day (30 miles each way), fuel economy is a must. And I do like small cars, as they are more fun to drive, and easier to park in cities. VW have made a few compromises to reduce the build cost, and some of these might be a turn off. Chief among these is the solitary external lock, on the driver's door. To open the rear hatch you unlock the driver's door, then press the button on the hatch. Similarly, to unlock the passenger door, you must use the internal lever. Another flaw is the seat tilt mechanism which does not remember the preferred tilt angle. So if you tilt the seat forward to let a passenger get in the back, you lose your setting.

Anyone else here got an Up? If so, what do you think of it?

Volkswagen Up 2012 3 door - TakeUpreview - KB.

Thanks for posting this - and also the more comprehensive piece in the review section.

Volkswagen Up 2012 3 door - TakeUpreview - 659FBE

As above, thanks for taking the time to post your observations.

I'm dismayed that VAG appear to have lost sight of the fact that their products are intended to carry people and goods. The goods don't always go in at the same time as the people do.

To have to open the driver's door in order to gain access to the boot is just unbelievably stupid. Try loading it with your hands full, even if the extra operation didn't infuriate you. I could not contemplate ever owning a vehicle designed like this.

See you at the Mk 2.

Volkswagen Up 2012 3 door - TakeUpreview - Leif
To have to open the driver's door in order to gain access to the boot is just unbelievably stupid. Try loading it with your hands full, even if the extra operation didn't infuriate you. I could not contemplate ever owning a vehicle designed like this.

See you at the Mk 2.

Then buy the Move Up, which is the next model up, and you get remote locking. You can add it to the TakeUp for £350 and that price also includes electric windows, and a few other bits and bobs. Not bad IMO. I will update th review to make that clear.