Honda Jazz - Honda Jazz 2009 Gearbox bearing fault - Ian2012

Hi,

Bought from a main Honda dealer 7 weeks ago an used Jazz 1.2 i-VTEC SE[VSA], manual transmission and about two and half years old. Shortly afte I got it, I noticed that when I change from 1st to 2nd gear, during the process of pressing the clutch down, the car judders and there is a clonk noise. This is before I shift the gear itself. It seems the car has some difficulties in disengage the clutch. It only happens in the first gear, not in other gears. I took it to the dealer. A technican had a short road test and put it on ram and then told me that there was a fault with the gearbox bearing. They would need to remove the gearbox, and find out which bearing is wrong and replace it. Though the repair will be under warrenty, it still makes me very uneasy. I have the following questions:

1. The car has only 14,000 miles on the clock and just over 2 years old, how could it develop a gearbox bearing problem(the car was used by the dealer as courtersey car from new)? Has anyone else here encountered the same problem?

2. How likely is the diagnose correct? How could they identify the problem by only visually check it rather than opening the gearbox? Do they have special tools for this?

3. If it is indeed gearbox problem, then it worries me a lot about the quality of the car. I bought the Jazz for its reputation for reliability. If it develops a major fault (and expensive one if I had to pay it myself) like this at such a young age, will it cause me further troubles in the futue? Is it worthwhile to keep it long?

Ian

Honda Jazz - Honda Jazz 2009 Gearbox bearing fault - Autopilot

Hi,

Bought from a main Honda dealer 7 weeks ago

1. The car has only 14,000 miles on the clock and just over 2 years old, how could it develop a gearbox bearing problem(the car was used by the dealer as courtersey car from new)

Hi, Sorry to hear of your problems with the Honda Jazz which indeed is a very reliable car from an excellent manufacturer but unfortunately as it has been used as a dealership courtesy car then it has probably been abused just like a hire car really. This is due to the car having a lot of different drivers who have a different driving style and basically because the car didn`t belong to them they probably didn`t care much for it. I don`t mean to sound patronising but this is a fact because I know many people who have been victim to this. When you buy a car from a franchised dealership you usually get a 30 day 1000 miles no quibble exchange guarantee but you`ve had the car 7 weeks. You may be able to get an exchange because this is a very serious fault for such a young car, but I`m not a legal expert. Even though the car is under warranty If I were in your shoes I wouldn`t keep the car as it may develop another fault when you are out of warranty and overall I wouldn`t recommend buying an ex courtesy/rental car even with a long warranty. I hope you get sorted out and do keep us informed.

Honda Jazz - Honda Jazz 2009 Gearbox bearing fault - madf

Honda have history of gearbox bearing failures.. few but regualr

Search the forum..

And the Jazz Owners Club...

Honda Jazz - Honda Jazz 2009 Gearbox bearing fault - balleballe

14k in 2.5 years would indicate to me that the cars been used mainly for city driving - which can be quite strenuous on a gearbox when compared to motorway driving for example

From what I understand this is one of the weak points of the jazz

Sales of goods act means that they are liable to correct the fault. Hope you get it sorted

Honda Jazz - Honda Jazz 2009 Gearbox bearing fault - Ian2012
The dealer replaced the gearbox bearing. However the problem still persists. I am quite disappointed. The problem is just irritating. Should I just ignore it or take it back again to ask them to do more investigation? Don't know what more they can do though.
Honda Jazz - Honda Jazz 2009 Gearbox bearing fault - Peter.N.

Not having driven it I can't be sure but this sounds more like a clutch problem to me.