Cyber bullying - tony g
Hi all ,I've just read the bizarre comments being posted on the motoring discussion site of HJ ,regarding cyber bullying .

I've been a forum member for 12 months and have never come across what I would consider to be bullying ,am I wrong or does it happen on HJ .My understanding of the forum is that it's informative and amusing even irritating (Jamie). But never imtimidating .

I've always felt that my contributions have been fairly received even when others have strongly disagreed . But I have never seen childish name calling , and the idea of threats seems ludicrous .

HJ is the only site I read and contribute to ,is it a major problem on other sites ?

Going back to previous posts on the motoring discussion site ,I'm not sure the posts are genuine ,I notice that the complainants offer information about their lives that suit the point they are trying to make .But only as a response ,never as an initial point .

Tony g

Cyber bullying - Bobbin Threadbare

I also found the whole set of posts bizarre. I only go on one other forum and nobody 'bullies' on that either. I find this site amusing and all the posters have distinctive personalities to me now!

It seemed a bit attention seeking to me.

Cyber bullying - unthrottled

Defintely a troll. Should have spotted it earlier. New poster whose first post is totally irrelevant to the forum and the topic of the post has nothing to do with the title of the post!

If you google "motor forum bully" (in quotes), there three entries appear-all from our new friend! There's one on HJ, one on a Citroen forum, and another on a site I forget.

I guess he gets a kick out of appearing #1 on a google search-albeit a search that no one else has ever done.

Bizarre.

Cyber bullying - Avant

I should have spotted it earlier too. I think he may have just been trying to plug a car parts business.

This is a good opportunity to say thank you to the three of you above - your contributions are hugely valuable and helpful and, I hope, much appreciated by forum members whom you've helped and/or entertained.

Cyber bullying - concrete

Excellent comments all round. I like this forum and have never been intimidated. Disagreements are part and parcel of the debate process and as long as it is kept in perspective it is often amusing, informative and above all inclusive. The one thing I really like about making a post is that sometimes a relevant comment can come from 'left field' that completely changes the nature of the debate, usually some simple detail that has been overlooked by most threaders. An education you cannot buy some days. Thanks to all. Good luck. Concrete

Cyber bullying - Mike H
I've been a forum member for 12 months and have never come across what I would consider to be bullying ,am I wrong or does it happen on HJ .My understanding of the forum is that it's informative and amusing even irritating (Jamie). But never imtimidating .

Hmm, well technically you're correct, but I have been put off posting a number of times by the negative and sniping nature of some of the regulars. I've been a member of the forum for a number of years, reading regularly and posting when I have something to say, and this seems to be a relatively recent phenomenon.

You're right about the irritation - I just know that certain members will pop up and put irritating, pointless and negative spins on what has been posted, and quite frankly I can't be bothered getting into a debate with these people, so it's easier not to post something that to most ordinary people would be constructive. I sometimes wonder how many other newcomers are put off as well?

Sorry folks, I'm not trying to be controversial, but just speaking as I find.

Edited by Mike H on 25/04/2012 at 23:04

Cyber bullying - tony g
(You're right about the irritation - I just know that certain members will pop up and put irritating, pointless and negative spins on what has been posted,)

Hi mike , I think you're making the forum more important than it is .Surely it's supposed to be irreverant as well as informative ,we all know that forum members will comment just to be provocative ,but that's part of the entertainment .

As concrete said in an earlier post.
. Left field comments while sometimes bizarre and irrelevant ,can be thought provoking .

It would be a dull forum without the eccentrics ,wouldn't it .?

Tony g

Edited by tony g on 25/04/2012 at 23:35

Hello Mike H, from your post you seem just the sort of well balanced person to conribute to debate. Please don't let the broad spectrum put you off. As tony g says, a lot of the subjects are fairly irrelevant to our daily lives so a degree of circumspection is required. You will always get someone who will lob a 'handgrenade' into any debate just to stir things up or make an esoteric point. I would not go to my local pub if it was full stereotypes, instead I go to enjoy the characters and eccentrics that life throws up. I should record some of the barroom debates, they would win comedy awards some days. When was the last time you said anything that everyone agreed with? Cheers and hope to see you here again. Concrete

Cyber bullying - Mike H

Don't worry Concrete, I'm not going away! It's a difficult point I'm trying to make and perhaps I didn't get it across very well. What really sticks in my mind is one occasion, when I returned to posting after a break, when what turned out to be a regular contributor, who shall obviously remain nameless, was frankly quite unnecessarily offensive to me. Following their posts in subsequent days and weeks showed a certain trend for that person. Either they don't realise quite how they come across, or they delight in being awkward and, in my mind, unnecessarily sharp and offensive.

BUT there are only the odd one or two luckily!

Cyber bullying - unthrottled

Hmm, well technically you're correct, but I have been put off posting a number of times by the negative and sniping nature of some of the regulars. I've been a member of the forum for a number of years, reading regularly and posting when I have something to say, and this seems to be a relatively recent phenomenon.

A forum is comprised of posted comments; if you don't post, you don't contribute-or influence the direction of discussion.

I'm probably one of the people to whom you refer. I'm equally frustrated by people whose occasional contributions consist entirely of laments about how the forum isn't as good as it used to be be and how they would like to post something intelligent, but it is not worth doing so because of all the unintelligent comments already posted.

A forum is comprised of posted comments; if you don't post, you don't contribute-or influence the direction of discussion.

I'm probably one of the people to whom you refer. I'm equally frustrated by people whose occasional contributions consist entirely of laments about how the forum isn't as good as it used to be be and how they would like to post something intelligent, but it is not worth doing so because of all the unintelligent comments already posted.

One mans' unintelligent comment is another mans' pearl of wisdom!!!!

Concrete

Cyber bullying - Mike H
I'm equally frustrated by people whose occasional contributions consist entirely of laments about how the forum isn't as good as it used to be be and how they would like to post something intelligent, but it is not worth doing so because of all the unintelligent comments already posted.

I hope that my comment didn't imply that I personally was lamenting for the good old days! I think the forum is, in general, no worse or better than it's always been. It's always interesting, and I enjoy the banter. After all, I don't have to be here, but I am :-)

Edited by Mike H on 27/04/2012 at 16:24