Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI - Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI 55p Plate DPF Refil - 3puddings

I have an error code og P2584 or simular which when I checked tells me that the DPF need regeneration. I am tempted to do this myself as ford charge a whopping £210 for this. I can get the JLN fluid for £40 of ebay. However the more I read the less sure I am, I have also readd a refilling frocedure which involved opening and closing the fuel filler cap 3 times in 30 seconds which seems a bit far fetched to be honest.

Has anyone actually carried out this procedure with any success, the car is past its warranty so paying Ford to do anything goes against the grain completely.

(Ford - Fixed Or Repaired Daily)

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI - Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI 55p Plate DPF Refil - Armitage Shanks {p}

If it is out of warranty and needs money spending on it who do you expect to pay? Maybe a local indie who could do the job for less. Labour plus at least the £40 you need for the liquid looks close to £200, depending on where you live. Good luck in any event!

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI - Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI 55p Plate DPF Refil - gordonbennet

£210 sounds a good price for this, possibly too good, what exactly is involved....is it simply topping up the fluid and reprogramming/resetting, or does it (should it) involve removal and clean or replacement of the DPF as well.

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI - Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI 55p Plate DPF Refil - Peter.N.

If the tank is empty I believe it needs 5 litres of fluid - if its the same as the Citroen.

It is topping up the tank and yes I object to spending £210 quid on topping up a tank with the fluid and ressetting the ECU, money for old rope really. The other thing is I have read on t'internet a procedure for resseting the ECU which is long and convoluted and quite probabally written by someone with quite an advanced sense of humor too, so before I start hoping on one leg whilst opening and closing the fuel cap and juggling puppies I want to knwo if this procedure actually works.

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI - Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI 55p Plate DPF Refil - elekie&a/c doctor

Firstly I would only fill with the correct fluid.The refill pack from Ford costs around £200 but contains 5 litres .Your car needs 2.5 litres.Secondly,very few after market diagnostic equipt are able to re-set the dpf system correctly.Resetting the system by opening and closing the fuel flap is total rubbish.I would take it to a main dealer for a competetive price or find a diagnostic guy who has the proper Ford IDS diag system.hth

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI - Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI 55p Plate DPF Refil - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

If I let the fuel level go down on my car, a little yellow 'fuel pump' symbol lights up on the dashboard. Imagine if, after filling up the tank, we all had to take our cars to the main dealer and pay money to have the warning light put out! But come something new and these money-grabbing wotsits have us grovelling for their mercy! Why can't these modern cars have the DPF fluid tank replenished at a service station just as we would fill up with fuel? Why not? Why not keep it simple? Why do manufacturers try so hard to extort money out of us?

If I let the fuel level go down on my car, a little yellow 'fuel pump' symbol lights up on the dashboard. Imagine if, after filling up the tank, we all had to take our cars to the main dealer and pay money to have the warning light put out! But come something new and these money-grabbing wotsits have us grovelling for their mercy! Why can't these modern cars have the DPF fluid tank replenished at a service station just as we would fill up with fuel? Why not? Why not keep it simple? Why do manufacturers try so hard to extort money out of us?

Exactally and my issue with paying Ford for this work, having worked in the Automotive Industry there is far too much fleecing of customers and suppliers in the whole industry by a few big players.

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI - Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI 55p Plate DPF Refil - Roly93

Secondly,very few after market diagnostic equipt are able to re-set the dpf system correctly.Resetting the system by opening and closing the fuel flap is total rubbish.I would take it to a main dealer for a competetive price or find a diagnostic guy who has the proper Ford IDS diag system.hth

I read a couple of years ago that the EU commission were looking into anti-competitive practice by European and other car manufacturers, meaning that they were looking at legislating against the excessive use of 'main-dealer only special tools required' scenarios on so many modern cars.

This is a good example, as is the diesel fuel filter on my Audi which cannot just be changed without going through the VCDS purge procedure, which is not possible unless you have purchased VCDS which is uneconomic for most DIY mechanics.

I can understand to a degree if this mapplied to a complex engine rebuild procedure, but not for a simple service activity.

This would be something really useful that the EU could do for us, so they probably never will !