dealership finance dilemma - Gazzadfc

The wife is looking for a new car and after visiting several dealerships one particular model caught her eye, the salesman at the time mentioned it also had 0% interest over 12, 24 or 36 months with a 50% deposit. A few days later we arranged a test drive and she liked the car very much, needless to say we put an order in for one, again it was mentioned about the 50% deposit and 0% interest....I had checked this out myself but could find no such promotion.

The finance and other details were to be sorted once the car had arrived so a small deposit was placed. Today the wife recieved a phone call from the dealer to say they had made a mistake and there is no 0% interest, but can offer low interest which would put approx £10 a month on top of the intended monthly payments.

Should we try and hold out for 0%? failing this I am tempted to ask for a free 1st year service at least. Annoying thing is I have now seen adverts for the same car on the internet with other dealerships around the North West and Nottinghamshire £250 pounds cheaper!!

Thanks

dealership finance dilemma - RT

I'd cancel the deal, get my deposit back and walk away.

At best it's incompetence - at worst it's attempted fraud.

Edited by RT on 16/04/2012 at 18:41

dealership finance dilemma - Tonto1

I would agree with RT - cancel and walk away. If they are pulling these stunts over the finance, would you trust them on anything else?

Did you get paperwork with 0% detailed on the deal? If so, take it straight to Trading Standards.

dealership finance dilemma - Pondlife

Sounds like the classic bait and switch to me.

I've had similar with car finance before: offer a great rate, which goes up later when they think you're sold on the car. In my case I just refused the finance and paid cash instead, although the dealer almost wouldn't sell me the car for cash.

dealership finance dilemma - tony g
Hi,it seems to me that the 0% offer formed part of the contract ,your decision to buy was motivated partly by the 0% offer .

I would insist that the garage honour the offer their salesman made ,regardless of whether it was a mistake .The salesman acts as the garages agent when he takes your deposit, the deposit is called a consideration in law ,

If the salesman makes a mistake ,twice in this case ,the garage should honour the deal.

If the garage declines ,take the matter up with the manufacturer ,ring or write to their customer service department.

Do let the forum know the outcome .

Regards

Tony g
dealership finance dilemma - concrete

Hello Gazzadfc, I agree with Tony g, the contract agreement was dependant upon 0% interest. Such a major variation of the terms now would constitute a breach and you would be within your rights to cancel, recover your deposit and walk away. I would do that anyway. As already alluded to; would you now trust this dealership in way in future!