VW 1.9 TDi - EGR Valve and turbo cleaning - 5cylinderdiesel

Hi

If some reports are to be believed an EGR valve is the worse thing ever designed from an engine health point of view. I have a Seat Altea 19TDi with 100k on the clock still running very smoothly. Is it worth cleaning the EGR and all the related plumbing, what will it roughly cost and do or can dealers do it? Is it easy to do yourself? And basically the same question about the turbo, is it worth cleaning it now? Will this sort of maintenance on these key components help your engine reach an above average life (or it's expected min. life of 200k)? Or will the cleaning of these components not make a noticable difference or is the expense way to much to make it worth the effort?

Thanks

VW 1.9 TDi - EGR Valve and turbo cleaning - craig-pd130

Just my 10p worth, I ran a Passat PD130 for 5+ years and 60K+ miles and used to watch similar threads on the VW / Seat / Skoda forums with interest.

Several people across the various forums stripped their EGR and found not very much crud build-up at all -- usually not worth the effort / hassle of the strip-down.

If you're not having any problems with the turbo vanes sticking or EGR problems, I'd leave it. A good exercise of the engine every couple of weeks will help keep things clean too.

VW 1.9 TDi - EGR Valve and turbo cleaning - woogie

I had a pre pump deuse passat tdi and at about 140k I cleaned the EGR as it was solid with carbon.Didnt change the cars performance or economy one iota post clean but was surprised how bad it wasI cleaned Inlet manifold too as it was pretty gunked up with oily carbon.Reminded me of my old two stroke days!

VW 1.9 TDi - EGR Valve and turbo cleaning - tony g
I've added fuel injector cleaner to diesel fuel a few times ,it seems effective with improved acceleration and smoother running.

Our mechanics say it cleans the injectors as well as the egr valve .Its cost effective at about £5 .
VW 1.9 TDi - EGR Valve and turbo cleaning - 5cylinderdiesel

Thanks for the advice and ideas guys. tony g do you know what the fuel injector cleaner is and what it does (in more detail than the obvious if pos)? Would this be std practice at the dealers as well?