Travelling to Brittany / Autoroute Toll Charges - Hairy Hat Man
We will be travelling from Calais to Pont-Aven in Brittany this June.

The sat-nav can take us there by either using toll roads or avoiding them. The journey time difference is about 1 1/2 hours and I believe the toll charges would be about £25 in total. There's very little difference in distance.

We're in no hurry, so are inclined to take the slightly more scenic route and save ourselves £50 there and back. However, I have no idea if there are certain toll roads that save a significant amount of time at relatively low cost. So does anyone know if there are any individual toll roads on the route that are absolute no brainers in terms of cost / time saving? Equally, are there any individual tolls that are relatively expensive that don't actually save very much journey time.

What I'm getting at is along the lines of, if the Pont de Normandie toll is say £5, but saves 45 minutes on the journey, we'd be inclined to use that part of the route and avoid all the other tolls.

TIA for any advice.
Travelling to Brittany / Autoroute Toll Charges - Armitage Shanks {p}

Not quite the answer you are looking for but the route planner at www.vimichelin.com gives you routes and the toll charges applicable on thme. I found 2 routes and there was a 25 euro difference in the tolls on them.

I guess you don't want the direct ferry?

Travelling to Brittany / Autoroute Toll Charges - dadbif
The site you want is www.viamichelin.com, you can compare various routes with and without tolls
Travelling to Brittany / Autoroute Toll Charges - jc2

Some of the non-autoroute roads are excellent-then you get stuck behind a tractor/trailer or a combine or even worse-a UK registered car and caravan who ignores lay-by after lay-by and also ignores the ever lengthening line behind him!!!

Travelling to Brittany / Autoroute Toll Charges - focussed

I actually live in Brittany-you will be pleased to know that once you get into Brittany, due to some sort of historical agreement there are no toll roads(peage) within the region at all-how good is that!

However there is a downside to this, all the dual carriageways are limited to a maximum of 110 kmh, that's 68.3 mph-not 70 mph and the fuzz over here love pulling GB drivers and dishing them out an instant fine for a minor offence.

Recent nonsense over here is that your gps must not contain speed camera warnings-if you get stopped and asked by the gendarmes, just say that your gps does not contain speed camera warnings-the gendarmes are not allowed to enter or search your car or mess with your GPS, however the douanes (customs) are so authorised so best hide it until you get inland.

Don't forget all the stuff to carry with you, yellow jackets, triangle, etc it's getting so that us residents have to carry so much stuff to satisfy les flics that it's no wonder most French cars have a.towbar!

Travelling to Brittany / Autoroute Toll Charges - a900ss

Don't forget all the stuff to carry with you, yellow jackets, triangle, etc it's getting so that us residents have to carry so much stuff to satisfy les flics that it's no wonder most French cars have a.towbar!

And a breathalyser from July...... (Thankfully I go to Brittany in June)
Travelling to Brittany / Autoroute Toll Charges - Smileyman

If you ever need to stop roadside you'll appreciate the safety afforded by the yellow reflective vest, .... I'm not 100% sure but think in some countries the law requires one for every person in the vehicle... I do this...

Warning triangles are not new, I remember them from my childhood days travelling to Italy with my parents, likewise headlamp beam deflectors (so not to dazzle oncoming vehicles whilst driving on the right), GB sticker (not required if the car has euro plates) and spare lamps for all the lights (I'm not sure about xenons as they are only garage changeable) .

At least these days we don't need to bother with Green Cards as most insurance policies normally include euro cover. Still need to take the V5 and driving licence .. so much for cutting the red tape!

Yes oops sorry, forgot about the breathaliser, you can buy them in supermarkets over here for a couple of euros a pop. Just remember that the thing has to be within it's use-by date as printed on the pack otherwise it's a fine. I hear that les flics are not going to start dishing out fines until November.

The carrying spare bulbs thing is actually advisory , with a lot of modern cars it's a 2-3 hour job to replace bulbs anyway.

Travelling to Brittany / Autoroute Toll Charges - a900ss
I thought that a triangle was only advisory as well.
Thanks for all the advice so far. We have travelled through France to Brittany many times before, but always either avoiding or using all the toll roads.

For others, I understand advance signs for speed cameras are being removed and new cameras added.
For those finding this thread useful, here's a good site listing all the toll fees across France:
www.autoroutes.fr/en/key-rates.htm

I found the map particularly useful:
www.autoroutes.fr/FCKeditor/UserFiles/File/Prepara...f

Warning triangle is mandatory in France.