any - inline diesel pump - farmerfrank

does anyone know which was the latest production model of any make diesel to use an inline fuel pump or the earlier type rotary Bosch(non electronic,fly by wire) thanks

any - inline diesel pump - unthrottled

Inline pump on a passenger car engine? Unless you go to the supermarket in a Peterbilt?!

Last mechanical distributer pump engine I can think of is the XUD 1.9 in the Pug 306 up to 2002.

any - inline diesel pump - gordonbennet

I believe but not certain, the pump on the OM606 3 litre as found in MB E's is inline, up to 1996, 250 versions continued until about 2000 but unsure what sort of pumps were involved.

The Citroen C15 van finished production around 2005, still on rotary mechanical pump, possibly CAV as found in 205 it was based on...just looked it up and it appears some had the Bosch pump fitted..

I imagine such mechanical designs are still being used and made in places like India.

Edited by gordonbennet on 09/04/2012 at 08:56

any - inline diesel pump - unthrottled

Gordon-How could I forget the old Benz straight 5/6 diesels. I think you're right about them using in-line pumps.

Did PSA continue to use mechanical pumps on the DW8 right up to the end, or were they electronically controlled distriibuter pumps? A lot of companies used the Bosch VP44 electronic rotary pump which had a bad reputation for failing. In actual fact the pump (and associated electronics) were decent, the problem lay with the lift pump which would not always provide an adequate supply of fuel to lubricate the hp pump.

any - inline diesel pump - gordonbennet

''Did PSA continue to use mechanical pumps on the DW8 right up to the end, or were they electronically controlled distriibuter pumps''

I'm not sure, all i know is that i delivered lots of C15's brand new at the time, and long after production ended, they were very cheap....they were like old school Diesels of the past, needing a full timespan of glow plug to get them to fire up, i suspect the engine compartment was exactly as lifted from a 205d.

I liked them a lot, they were simple no nonsense vehicles 15 years out of date (and none the worse for that) with minimal things likely to ever go wrong, manual everything, and very comfortable with super pliable suspension, no radio, single wiper, no central locking, manual windows etc.

any - inline diesel pump - farmerfrank

many thanks, unthrottled and gordonbennet I shall do some more research

any - inline diesel pump - Peter.N.

The last fully mechanincal pump that PSA used was on the Jan '96 reg 2.1 XM' estates, after that time they used EPIC semi electronic pumps and were all auto's that's why I always went for that model, I had four all with the reg N---YBL, I'm still running one.

I think the Xantias and ZX's may have used them a bit later but they had an armoured fuel solonoid that you couldn't get at.

Edited by Peter.N. on 11/04/2012 at 13:41