Citroen Xsara Picasso - Engine re-map - Ald

Hi All,

I have a 2006 Picasso 1.6 Hdi 90 hp. It has relatively low miles, 45k and is serviced correctly and on schedule. The car is in good condition and I know of no engine faults. I am considering an engine re-map, this is supposed to boost power to around 110 hp and torque is also improved. The main reason I am considering this is that I recently bought a caravan (boo, hiss) and I could do with a little extra power when towing. I plan on keeping the Picasso as it really suits me and the family. Any thought would be appreciated.

Cheers

Alan

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Engine re-map - unthrottled

The main reason I am considering this is that I recently bought a caravan (boo, hiss) and I could do with a little extra power when towing.

It's that bit that I'm not too keen on. A fully laden big car+ caravan + rechip. "look, it can pull up hills in fifth. Brilliant..."

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Engine re-map - TeeCee

I plan on keeping the Picasso as it really suits me and the family.

The candle that burns twice as bright..........

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Engine re-map - HandCart

I think you're being a tad hard on this poster.
It's a fair-enough question: Their only option would be to sell the car and buy another which is more powerful, but that raises the questions:
A) How much is it going to cost to change, and
B) If they can only afford a used car as the replacement, how do they know how trustworthy that one is?

Wasn't the 1.6 PSA diesel was available in 110hp guise anyway? -so I doubt that uplifting a 90 to 110 is going to strain things TOO radically. If the present car suits them, and they know its history, then provided they're made aware of the risks and treat the chipped engine with respect, they may feel comfortable to take the gamble.

However, it may well be more expensive to insure a Picasso chipped to 110hp than one which was 110hp originally.

Wasn't the 1.6 PSA diesel was available in 110hp guise anyway?

Yes, but with the addition of a VNT turbo and an intercooler.

You can get away with going silly on horsepower when you only use it for short bursts of acceleration. (assuming the clutch/DMF is up to the job). But towing is a different matter. You've got to be quite conservative with power output or at least how you use it. There's a reason no large van or pick up truck uses an engine with a high specific output...

edit: If you think this is being ultra conservative, check out some of the big diesel towing forums. Most of the talk is about EGTs, not big hp numbers. And it doesn't take much hp/litre to run scary EGTs when you've only got a tiny wastegated turbo for aspiration.

Edited by unthrottled on 28/03/2012 at 16:44

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Engine re-map - madf

I would have thought towing a caravan in summer up a long incline at say 70mph with a chipped engine and no intercooler would give a high chance of melted pistons or detonation or both...

I would do it if a pyrometer was fitted at the time of the remap. That way you can keep an eye on temperatures and change down if necessary. It's worth it for the peace of mind if nothing else.