MOT - reminder about the new warning lights rule - Auristocrat

In the April edition of Which?, they highlight that a 'malfunction indication lamp' (MIL) test has been in place since January 2012, where MOT examiners are required to visually check the warning lights for ABS, electronic stability control, airbags, seat belt pre-tensioners and tyre pressure monitoring systems.

Until now illuminated lights for any of these systems would have been flagged as an advisory, but from 1st April 2012, they will result in an automatic MOT fail.

MOT - reminder about the new warning lights rule - unthrottled

I thought it was 1st May?

Good job mine is booked in for the end of March!

MOT - reminder about the new warning lights rule - hillman

My car has an irritating spurious alarm that brings on the 'cruise control faulty' alarm every so often. There might be months trouble free and then it will alarm for a couple of days. The dealer had tried a number of times to isolate the fault, taking the car in for a couple of days and changing sensors etc. but never solved it. I heard that they took in part exchange another car with the same fault and really tried hard to solve it, even to rewiriing the looms. Eventually I made a special journey to the dealer with the fault recurring and the technician could only show that it was due to a fleeting computer impulse on starting. As soon as it had occurred it self cancelled, but the light stayed on until the ignition was switched off. It might then reoccur, and it might not. I've had the car over five years now and otherwise it is a gem.

MOT - reminder about the new warning lights rule - pwatson

In the April edition of Which?, they highlight that a 'malfunction indication lamp' (MIL) test has been in place since January 2012, where MOT examiners are required to visually check the warning lights for ABS, electronic stability control, airbags, seat belt pre-tensioners and tyre pressure monitoring systems.

Until now illuminated lights for any of these systems would have been flagged as an advisory, but from 1st April 2012, they will result in an automatic MOT fail.

Note that the tyre pressure monitoring system check only applies for cars registered after Jan 1st 2012.

MOT - reminder about the new warning lights rule - hillman

I have just been reading the article in the Which? magazine.

The article says. "It's a visual check, so doesn't require examiners to find out why a light is on. But most garages will need to use diagnostic equipment to find out the cause of the problem before they can fix it - and this comes at a cost".

Is this going to lead to problems ?

Just MOT'd mine. Airbag light bulb was removed ages ago because it was illuminated.

Tester didn't mention it or list it as an advisory.

'Until now illuminated lights for any of these systems would have been flagged as an advisory ...'

With the bulb removed, the airbag light wouldn't illuminate - hence no advisory.

But I thought the bulbs were supposed to be checked for correct operation when ignition was switched on. Lack of illumination=fail. Maybe my tester was being 'friendly' ;)

Don't know - its only a visual check. Suppose any lights for these systems that remain illuminated after the ignition has been switched on, highlight a possible fault, and that's where advisories are issued. If no lights remain on, presumably no possible fault is highlighted.
MOT - reminder about the new warning lights rule - Hamish Mc

IMHO the MOT is becoming a money-making joke. It was supposed to be a roadworthiness check. We now seem to test to ensure that cars still meet their "as-new" emissions spec etc at 10 or more years old, and they are no longer safe to drive on the roads if there is a spurious warning light that may have absolutely no effect on the safe operation of the vehicle.

Almost at bad is the display of car park stickers etc in the (screen wipers) swept area of the windscreen. I had an RNLI supporters sticker next to my tax disc - MOT fail, car cannot be driven on the roads, but by swapping the stickers over, and putting the larger tax disc into the swept area where it obstructs more of my visibility, the car is magically roadworthy again

We now seem to test to ensure that cars still meet their "as-new" emissions spec etc at 10 or more years old, and they are no longer safe to drive on the roads

Sorry, but that's not true at all. The emissions test (for a petrol) is simply to check for catalytic converter activity and lambda control. Any engine in reasonable condition should pass easily. The opacity test for a diesel is laughably easy.

I do take exception with the warning lights though when a feature was voluntarily fitted prior to becoming mandatory.

Surprisingly, air bags are still NOT mandatory, so it seems a bit inconsistent to fail a car for an illuminated air bag light.

MOT - reminder about the new warning lights rule - Bromptonaut

Getting reports of mileages being wrongly recorded. On some models the testers are recording the trip instead of overall mileage and ignoring the .0, so a trip showing 4952.7 would be recorded as a total mileagte of 49,527, ignoring the total mileage counter, which migh only be 22,430. So before submitting a car for the MoT, always zero the trip, and zero both A and B trips if the car has them.

In some cars, including our Berlingo, the display is trip or total with a short push of the control knob to toggle between. If the tester doesn't know that.........

MOT - reminder about the new warning lights rule - Wukl

With some trepidation, I put my car in for its a MoT a couple of days ago with an intermitant airbag warning light; probably a dodgy connector somewhere. Anyway, having secured a pass (phew), I spoke to the tester and he said they had started testing for airbag lights in January and had had a few cars with problems. However the dropdown on the VOSA online form apparently has no option for them to fail the car, even though the paperwork says they should test for it. He was none the wiser what VOSA are up to, but reckons the situation will change "in the summer".

MOT - reminder about the new warning lights rule - Peter

My TDCI Mondeo passed its MOT last week with one advisory.

"Due to fixed engine covers the tester could not check the engine bay".

I thought this was wrong as Ford built the car that way but the tester stated he is required to check the fuel and brake pipes in the engine bay for leaks and other failings, with the covers on he cannot and he is not allowed ro remove the covers, so that statement is meant to cover him for any future falings.

Going on from this, he pointed out an adjacent Mercedes, with these cars, covers are fitted from the radiator back to the rear axle, in consequence he cannot carry out essential checks underneath the car.

If what he says is true then it makes a mockery of the whole MOT test.

MOT - reminder about the new warning lights rule - bathtub tom

I once put my bike in the back, intending to cycle home. The heavens opened and I was offered a lift.

The MOT stated 'unable to check rear seat belts'.

MOT - reminder about the new warning lights rule - Hamsafar

"If what he says is true then it makes a mockery of the whole MOT test."

Or..we want to put the price up again, so have to make the list of tested items longer somehow.

Edited by Hamsafar on 30/05/2012 at 11:48

MOT - reminder about the new warning lights rule - Avant

""Due to fixed engine covers the tester could not check the engine bay"."

This must be a new rule, as I've had the same this week, with a second advisory 'Undertrays fitted obscuring some underside components'.

I agree - the testers probably have to cover themselves - but anyway my old Z3 passed, the fourth time in a row in the four years I've had it. It's regualrly serviced by Steve at Berkshire Motor Works - an excellent one-man BMW dealer-trained independent.

Not an advisory warning of medium-term trouble I think.

MOT - reminder about the new warning lights rule - 1litregolfeater

I'm getting the ABS warning come on from time to time in my old Ford, must be time to change the brake fluid.

I was meaning to, honest.

I've never changed it and I've had the car for 14 years, probably missed / avoided in the first few services too, probably running on water now.

Who knows what will happen when I loosen them old joints. I do, I'll probably discover knackered seals everywhere.

Or maybe I'll just leave it.