Mazda MX5 2.0L sport - Rattle from engine gets louder at 3500 revs upward - Carl65

Hi, Our mx5 has recently developed a rattling noise which is very quiet on starting the engine but gets load when the engine is under load, 3500 revs upwards.
I too kit to a garage today and they advised me that the crank had gone and that this was a common fault on this engine (although a search of the net for this particular problem has been rather fruitless, so I'm not sure if it is a common fault or not).
They say that a new engine is required and this would be around £2000. They also said another option would be to convert the car and fit a 1.8L engine instead (they said these engines are more reliable).

What is your advice regarding the symptoms, does the advice I've been given sound fair or should I get a second / third opinion? Many thanks for any help you can give, Regards, Carl

Edited by Carl65 on 21/03/2012 at 18:09

Mazda MX5 2.0L sport - Rattle from engine gets louder at 3500 revs upward - craig-pd130

Hard to tell without hearing it, but a diesel-sounding knock when the engine is pulling and under load is a symptom of a dead crankshaft bearing.

Try this -- in 3rd gear at about 2,500rpm, accelerate hard for a couple of seconds and then lift sharply right off the throttle. Does the rattle / knock get louder as you lift off? If so, it's likely that either a big-end or little-end bearing has failed.

It is possible to have a crankshaft reconditioned BUT it's expensive and it's also possible that metal fragments may have got around the engine. A replacement engine may be the best option.