Chevrolet Captiva - servicing diesel engine - oldroverboy

A very cautionary tale on the Chevrolet forum currently.

as follows,

lady buys car from a large national chain not a franchise, car is imported! car bought june 2009, first serviced december 2010, first service, possibility oil not changed at service at main dealers despite this beinh a requirement of the service schedule) next service missed, car did only 14000 miles in 2 years and 8 months, engine fails due to oil lubricity @20% only, (contamination???) chevrolet and dealer wash their hands of affair. clent did not have enough money for servicing so was saving up for the service.

while i feel sorry for the person concerned, she obviously had a car unsuitable to her type of usage, and made the false economy of not getting the servicing done.

OUCH!

Chevrolet Captiva - servicing diesel engine - unthrottled

while i feel sorry for the person concerned

I don't. If you can afford a nearly new car, you can afford basic servicing. Registration plate snobbery is one of the most unedifying traits in this country.

Chevrolet Captiva - servicing diesel engine - gordonbennet

Is this another case like the Mazda Diesels where during failed DPF regens the contents of the fuel tank gradually end up in the sump..i wonder if anybody thought to look at the dipstick.....which beggars another question, why do people buy cars without dipsticks, you couldn't give it to me.

Edited by gordonbennet on 18/03/2012 at 14:58

Chevrolet Captiva - servicing diesel engine - Collos25

My mercedes does not have a dip stick a fact I find amazing its been replaced by a load of electronics which are not easy to use a dipstick any time.

Chevrolet Captiva - servicing diesel engine - gordonbennet

Some of our trucks don't have a dipstick either, MBs, Dafs and MANs (though some have a dipstick under the cab once tilted), and the electronic gauges are temperamental to say the least....Iveco Stralis holds the distinction of not only an electronic dipstick but you have to tilt the cab to put oil in and they drink the stuff...brilliant.

I shall always want to physically look at the oil in my own car, not just for levels but to spot any tell tale signs of something amiss.

Isn't there a way of fitting an aftermarket dipstick Collos, if not then that rules out later MB's for me permanently, i find the 220/250 Diesels quite attractive otherwise especially in latest C class estate form..

Chevrolet Captiva - servicing diesel engine - unthrottled

I feel the same way about temperature gauges. I drove a Ford Transit connect and there was no temperature gauge, just an idiot light to say that the coolant has boiled. I know it probably saves £3.76 in production costs, but still...

Chevrolet Captiva - servicing diesel engine - ChannelZ

Hardly news or worthy of a post - moron buys car, doesn't service it, engine pops, moron complains because manufacturer won't fix it.

14k is probably over interval, 2 years 8 months is WELL over interval.

Modern diesels aren't like the old diesels and petrols of 10 years ago where you could miss the odd oil interval.

Chevrolet Captiva - servicing diesel engine - oldroverboy

Hardly news or worthy of a post - moron buys car, doesn't service it, engine pops, moron complains because manufacturer won't fix it.

Modern diesels aren't like the old diesels and petrols of 10 years ago where you could miss the odd oil interval.

Read the post! 14000 since new over 2 years 8 months, 1 service done at 18 months, (6 months late!) next service not done for 14 months (only 2 months over!) as "saving up for service" Chevrolet do a service plan for £15-20 month if you take out the service plan, but agree with the rest of your post.

Well almost.... it was a driver of the female variety, and the low mileage is a clue to the state of the oil, no regeneration cycle...Probably 20%diesel in there...And I agree that the dealer and chevrolet have said what they said.happy motoring all.

Chevrolet Captiva - servicing diesel engine - ChannelZ

Read the post! 14000 since new over 2 years 8 months, 1 service done at 18 months, (6 months late!) next service not done for 14 months (only 2 months over!) as "saving up for service" Chevrolet do a service plan for £15-20 month if you take out the service plan, but agree with the rest of your post.

Well almost.... it was a driver of the female variety, and the low mileage is a clue to the state of the oil, no regeneration cycle...Probably 20%diesel in there...And I agree that the dealer and chevrolet have said what they said.happy motoring all.

Fair enough, your first post wasn't very clearly written. :) Still, buying a diesel 4x4 for those rediculously low miles is madness.

Finally Vauxhall have wised up and are advising people doing low miles to buy petrols. Once the rest of the shiny-suit-brigade in the motor industry figure out that, all these engine failures will be avoided.