bmw 320i m sport convertible 2007 - stupid mistake buying without checking carefully - rahamz

i paid £1300 deposit on a car today, didnt check the order of dates and found that the mileage is 58000 oct2011 and 57400 march2012 when i did the HPI now.
can i get a refund on my visa debit card used. the car dealer is unlikely to refund, and I am not sure whether the dates were in that order when i checked the mot when i was there, none of the documents are with me, i have the rest of £13300 left to pay on the car, should i abort and cut my loses as it is obviously a clocked car?
please help

bmw 320i m sport convertible 2007 - stupid mistake buying without checking carefully - Tonto1

Except in a few VERY exceptional instances (more likely if you opened your bank account all the way back in the 80's), you cannot get a refund on a debit card transaction. Consumer credit protection (section 75) applies if you had you been able to use a credit card. If it's a dealer, I'm sure there's others here that can advise on the relevant protection you could could seek.

bmw 320i m sport convertible 2007 - stupid mistake buying without checking carefully - Mike H

At least you've found out before parting with the full amount. Unfortunately, as has been said, you haven't got the same protection on debit cards.

I'm not sure why you state that "the car dealer is unlikely to refund". First thing to do is ask him. You should certainly report it to the police, as they won't look kindly on him passing on clocked cars (whether he was aware of it or not). Mentioning this might focus his mind on returning your money.....

I'd be talking to the bank and explaining the circumstances - they may be able to reverse the transaction.

Your final option is to sue him for the return of your £1300 in the small claims court.

bmw 320i m sport convertible 2007 - stupid mistake buying without checking carefully - bathtub tom

Does it matter, or are you looking for an excuse to back out of the deal?

A discrepancy of 600 miles over a six month period?

Would you have been happy to buy the car with 58K on the clock?

bmw 320i m sport convertible 2007 - stupid mistake buying without checking carefully - pd

Where are these mileages coming from? The car isn't obviously clocked in my view, it simply has a mileage discrepancy on one record.

No one is going to clock a car back a few hundred miles over 4-5 months!

What probably happened is:

Someone traded the car in back in November with 57 "something" miles on it. The dealer did a mileage check and was lazy and rounded it up to 58000 (probably because it was raining and they couldn't be bothered to go out and read the odo). It then sat in the trade waiting for Spring to sell it and then someone did a check with the accurate mileage of 57400.

It is not like it had done 80,000 in March 2011 and has now done 27,000. It is by no means "obviously a clocked car".

Check it carefully before going over the top.

Edited by pd on 17/03/2012 at 10:01

bmw 320i m sport convertible 2007 - stupid mistake buying without checking carefully - pd

Just to add, if the source is "NMR Check" then ignore it, as that is someone doing a check - not verfied data.

Let's put it this way: if your neighbour annoys you simply do a HPI/NMR check on his/her car numberplate and put in 300,000 miles as the current mileage. Then, forever more, when he/she goes to sell it anyone who does a mileage check it will come up as clocked. It is a system which you need to actually interpret and read the sources before decided whether a car may be clocked - not simply read the headline.

bmw 320i m sport convertible 2007 - stupid mistake buying without checking carefully - gordonbennet

As above the discrepancy isn't worth worrying about, does the condition, service history and everything else point to a 58k mile genuine car, hardly a likely candidate for 6 months recent cabbying or courier work.

Its not a car i'd want to buy unless the service history is 100% though.

bmw 320i m sport convertible 2007 - stupid mistake buying without checking carefully - VR6

I just thought I would post to say that you CAN get money back if you have paid via a debit card. The protection is not the same as with a credit card, but you can get the bank to get the money back if the product you are buying is faulty, not as described etc...

The protection is called 'chargeback' and you have 120 days to initiate a claim with your bank. You won't instantly get your money back, but it will open up a dispute for you.

More info: (Links to Which.co.uk) tinyurl.com/6zntsy3

bmw 320i m sport convertible 2007 - stupid mistake buying without checking carefully - glowplug

Am I misinterpreting the original posters meaning?

The way I read it is that the second reading several months after the first is lower, which if the car was know to have driven nowhere is OK but there is the possiblility that in those 5 months the car could have clocked up thousands of miles and given a trim. More info is needed I'd say because it would be a strange choice of car to do lots of miles in a short time - price of fuel and such.

Steve.

bmw 320i m sport convertible 2007 - stupid mistake buying without checking carefully - Armitage Shanks {p}

Totally agree with VR6. My partner paid for an airfare with a Visa Debit card and got her money back after a long drawn out fight and a warning shot to Visa from the FSA. As he says the magic word is chargeback. Stick with it and you will win, in the fullness of time!