CRV - diesel or petrol - HELP!!!!! - me decide - Honda crv - Mr Dee

Going to purchase a 2008 Honda Crv- this weekend, however i have a choice between two:

VTEC - 58 - 51k miles

CDTI - 08 - 81k miles

my question is:- which on would be more reliable for us averaging 12,000 miles per year ?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Avant on 16/03/2012 at 22:50

CRV - desiel or petrol - HELP!!!!! - me decide - Honda crv - unthrottled

The vtec might have the edge in reliability-but it will chew fuel.

CRV - desiel or petrol - HELP!!!!! - me decide - Honda crv - elekie&a/c doctor

At 12k p/a ,my choice would be a petrol.An auto version will do around 25mpg ,but you have not got the problems with blocked particulate filters and gummed up egr valves.hth

CRV - desiel or petrol - HELP!!!!! - me decide - Honda crv - balleballe

This honda engine does not have a dpf. DPF's were only fitted after 08 in their 'I-Dtec' diesels.

The diesel is a wonderful drive and economical (in the accord anyway). There are known problems with the engine though - such as turbo bearing failure, EGR problems and timing chain rattles. The first two are general problems with diesels. The latter seems to be just with this engine

CRV - desiel or petrol - HELP!!!!! - me decide - Honda crv - unthrottled

such as turbo bearing failure, EGR problems and timing chain rattles. The first two are general problems with diesels.

I wouldn't say that turbo bearings and EGR problems are inherent problems with diesels. They seem to be a problem with some engines. Lots of desels live long, relatively trouble free lives-even DPF ones!

My mum has a Mk V Golf with the 1.9 DPF engine. So far no EGR/DPF problems. Now if a PD engine can cope with a DPF, a common rail engine certainly should!

CRV - desiel or petrol - HELP!!!!! - me decide - Honda crv - Tonto1

Would agree with unthrottled. My own experience of the 2.0 VTEC was that it was totally trouble free. However, don't expect more than 30/32mpg in mixed urban/moterway driving (best I ever got was 35mpg and that was driving likie a nun).

Also worth taking the VTEC for a decent test on the motorway if your going to spend much time at 70(ish) MPH - it can be rather noisy, as revs are fairly high even with the 6 speed box. I presume the diesel would be a deal quieter in this this respect

back to the drawing boad CRV - desiel or petrol - HELP!!!!! or Xtrail Petrol - Mr Dee

Hold on! - back to the drawing board

I have just seen an 2007 NISSAN X-TRAIL 2.0I TREK 5DR NEW SHAPE 6 SPEED and also thinking about throwing this in the mix-- as that im worried that xtrail desiel look like too much problems.

suggestions comments invitted??