Citroen Xsara Estate - Number plate lights not working - cottontop

Evening all,

Ph2 Xsara Estate back from its service, biggest issue is that the number plate lights are not working even after a change of bulb. I'm guessing they have checked the fuse box (maybe not both) but once ive done that whats the best plan of attack ? MOT isnt until the end of Oct so I have time and if the worst comes to it I can take it to an auto electrician.

Has anyone come across this before ?

Thanks in advance,

Richard

Citroen Xsara Estate - Number plate lights not working - Bromptonaut

Assuming fuse and second dud bulb eliminated check the wiring run between body and tailhatch. One possibilty is that conductor has broken where it's flexing as tailhatch opens/closes.

Same issue on Xantia causes various rear end failures including lights, lock and hrw.

Sorry just realised that this should of been posted in technical matters.

This could explain the very rare times when I can't open the boot door !! :)

Citroen Xsara Estate - Number plate lights not working - TeeCee

This could explain the very rare times when I can't open the boot door !! :)

Bingo! Every time a coconut.

Get that fixed ASAP. I had the same thing on another car (intermittant operation of the tail door lock system) which was due to chewed wiring between the door and the body. When the weather got cold and I turned on the rear window demist, it shorted across the loom and cooked the central locking / immobiliser ECU.

That was fun to fix. Cost me a few pennies to obtain a replacement ECU and prise the security codes out of the dealership to program it too.

Citroen Xsara Estate - Number plate lights not working - Avant

Moved to Technical.