Peugeot 407 Coupe - Advice on car purchase, any help would be great! - greenmeany

Hi there! First post here, but have been recommended by a friend!

Now this may sound like somewhat of a disjointed question, but I'll give it a try.

Basically me and my partner are looking to get a second car to do about 8000 miles in a year. It does not need a lot of room, but should be fairly comfortable.

We went and saw a 2006 Peugeot 407 Coupe 2.7 HDI automatic in black with red leather the other day, it was £6,500, 60k miles, and full peugeot history. We fell in love with the way it looked, gorgeous with the red leather.

Now, here is the question- would you recommend this car as a cheap weekend runaround? We have a company audi a8 for work, but this just be for shopping, and trips to see friends.

Secondly, the dealer told us that the 2.7 diesel is the same unit fitted to the Range Rover Sport, can you verify this?

Can we expect this car to be fairly reliable and trouble free or would you recommend another car. (It must be diesel as we like the low down torque, oh, and automatic).

Any advice would be great! Cheers

Peugeot 407 Coupe - Advice on car purchase, any help would be great! - Bobbin Threadbare

Hello - welcome!

I would say that you probably don't need a diesel for 8k miles p.a. It's also £245 p.a. to tax. I imagine that it wouldn't be a cheap weekend runaround! A little petrol Toyota Yaris is more your cheap runabout thing.

Peugeot 407 Coupe - Advice on car purchase, any help would be great! - greenmeany

I think I might end up sleeping on the street if I bring a Yaris home to the wife! She wants it to 'look nice' in her words, which really means that she wants a Maserati Granturismo!

Tax and a certain amount of fuel can be claimed back through our business, so dont worry too much about that. What about other cars I can put to her?

Peugeot 407 Coupe - Advice on car purchase, any help would be great! - sandy56

Like you I would be tempted by this Peugot.

However I would NOT buy this for such a low mileage. Not a good idea for a diesel.

For this low mileage go for a petrol, more fun, less noise, less weight, less bills.

Plenty of good 5 yr old petrol coupes around at reasonable money.

The shortest journey it will do is 15 miles, would this avoid these 'coking up' problems? We tested a 3.0 v6 petrol, and it was as flat as a pancake. The wife always seems to prefer a big diesel for strong low range torque.

Here is another one near us- they are unbelievable cheap!

http://www4.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201133410111206/sort/priceasc/usedcars/fuel-type/diesel/body-type/coupe/model/407/make/peugeot/page/2/postcode/tr262la/radius/1501?logcode=p

Edited by greenmeany on 05/03/2012 at 20:44

Peugeot 407 Coupe - Advice on car purchase, any help would be great! - unthrottled

The gearbox is Japanese and has been used by a lot of carmakers. As you know, the engine was also used by JLR. It should be fairly reliable, but if the 'box does develop a problem, it won't be cheap!

Not quite sure what the obsession with torque is when you're dealing with an automatic; it can jump down a ratio or two if required! Can't foresee any problems though.

I'm not sure why she likes it. But if I'm ever a passenger in the A8 when she is driving, my organs end up in the boot. When she flaws the 4.0tdi the earth spins a little quicker, quite frankly its ridiculous!

Peugeot 407 Coupe - Advice on car purchase, any help would be great! - SteveLee

Yes it is basically the same engine as fitted to the RR sport and Jag S Type/XF/XJ6D as long as you do reasonably frequent 20 mile+ a-road jaunts to keep the dpf happy it's a reliable engine.

Edited by SteveLee on 05/03/2012 at 20:48

Peugeot 407 Coupe - Advice on car purchase, any help would be great! - Happy Blue!

Lovely car, but completely wrong engine/gearbox combination for the type of driving you will be doing in it. Unless your trips are at least 15 miles, or you are driving it regularly and getting it warm, you will need a petrol engine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-MERCEDES-BENZ-SL-CLASS-SL-350-2DR-TIP-AUTO-FSH-SAT-NAV-PANORAMIC-ROOF-/220939152670?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3370ffed1e#ht_2477wt_937

I quite like this SL- then it wouldn't have dpf problems. Could get an extenteded warranty through warranty direct, or are they not worth the paper they are written on?

Peugeot 407 Coupe - Advice on car purchase, any help would be great! - unthrottled

not worth the paper they are written on?

Quite. Full of holes. If you can't afford potential repairs, you can't afford the car

Peugeot 407 Coupe - Advice on car purchase, any help would be great! - Bobbin Threadbare

You could get yourself a very nice Mazda MX-5:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20114442617...p

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20120845250...p

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20112840222...p

Peugeot 407 Coupe - Advice on car purchase, any help would be great! - Paul G1pdc

if you want more room than a mx5 what about one of these...

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/hyundai/coupe/coupe-2002/

What about a Hyundia Coupe, made up until 2009. the last couple of years worth had a mild face lift, and look very nice. in 2litre trim resonable on the mpg and insurance....if your running it through the company book the 2.7litre v6....

before you say no......have a look...."google" it....the last of the line look very nice...they also sell them with black or your RED leather...and a 5 year warrenty....

Dammit that was my next suggestion!! I was just Autotradering some examples!

Peugeot 407 Coupe - Advice on car purchase, any help would be great! - Paul G1pdc

HAHAH...ok bobin... put on some links showing some of the coupes.

HR manager i used to work with bought a 55 reg one last year and has been very pleased with it...loved the price as well...

the newer ones look the best...

Ok, some examples:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20120544620...p

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20120444405...p

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20114943320...p

The Hyundai Coupé is on my shortlist for next time I go car shopping!

Peugeot 407 Coupe - Advice on car purchase, any help would be great! - Oli rag

Ok, some examples:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20120544620...p

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20120444405...p

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20114943320...p

The Hyundai Coupé is on my shortlist for next time I go car shopping!

The V6 engine sounds fantastic in those.

You know I joked about the Maserati Granturismo. The wife is now seriously contemplating one. We drove by Dick Lovett Maserati today, and had a sneaky peek. Its the most beautiful car I have ever seen. Seriously contemplating it, but cannot find much info on the car. We had a look at the hyundai's, I didn't like the plasticy cabin, it was very poor compared to the Audi (which I know is more expensive!). Now I'm really confused!

This is a real jump - you've started by asking about Peugeots (not, to my mind, a luxury car marque by any stretch) and now it's Maseratis. The running costs etc will be vastly different.

If you have got around £6k to spend and you want something with that kind of status, have you considered a Porsche?

Yes, sorry I have made quite a jump there! And no... I have not ever considered a Porsche, I don't really like the 'styling (shock horror), they just seem a bit boring- probably just me!

To cut a long story short, I'm kind of reviewing my view of life. I almost died two years ago after a major heart attack. and it made me think that I have to live life for the moment. So I have up to £60k to play with for a fun weekend car, basically I am spending the inheritance on things that make me happy, before its too late!

So I am open to suggestions, the reason I stated at first about the Peugeot was because of the sheer shock of finding that a car with those looks was under seven grand. The wuestion is- would the maserati make us happier? Probably, but if not what have we lost- money, and that is all!

I digress, what cars would make you happy?

I digress, what cars would make you happy?

One that you can drive without any worry. Cars haemorrhage money-they are not investments. Only spend £60K if it's going spare. Don't be like the cretins I see in 61 plate Top-of-the-Range Audis trundling at 40mph in a bid to save a few pounds' worth of diesel! Penny wise and pound foolish.

Peugeot 407 Coupe - Advice on car purchase, any help would be great! - greenmeeny

I understand your concerns unthrottled, without wishing to divulge my personal finances, I do not have to worry about the car losing money. I am a happy go-lucky sort of chap, so if the car blew up in flames, I wouldn't fret, I would just enjoy the show.

Life is too short, and I want to have some fun, what do you suggest?

I only said that because of the £6.5k you expressed in the original post!

This really does depend on what you want to spend, but if you've got that much money on it, then how's about a Nissan GT-R?

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20114042015...p

Or, the 370Z?

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20121045493...p

One of those would make me very happy!!

Peugeot 407 Coupe - Advice on car purchase, any help would be great! - greenmeeny

Now we are talking, just told the son, and he said I would look like someone out of a movie called fast furious, I will have to google that!

Oh... its not what i expected, Japanese drifters! Looks fun, but I don't think they are beautiful. They look a tad 'aftermarket', if you get what I mean!

Edited by bluebeasty on 08/03/2012 at 19:37

'Aftermarket?!!' I might cry. I love Nissan's sporty efforts.

Ok you're gonna have to go classic.....! Now I'm at a loss. Maseratis are a bit 'eee look at how much money I've got'. What about a Lambo?

I didn't mean to be condescending but when i saw the following:

"Now, here is the question- would you recommend this car [Peugeot 407] as a cheap weekend runaround?"

I couldn't help but be confused!

I remember chatting to a chap that owner a Masserati Quattroporte and being struck by how differently his attitude to running costs was from that of a typical BMW owner. Completely unaware and uncaring about tyre life (they're £400 a corner), MPG (ha ha!), the optional spare wheel (£500), £1000 service etc etc. That's what it takes to enjoy a car like that.

What car would make me happy?

I think a bog standard C6 corvette would do nicely. Then I'll spend my time hunting down Mercs!

I think a bog standard C6 corvette would do nicely. Then I'll spend my time hunting down Mercs!

I saw one the other day!!! In Wigan.

If I lived in Wigan, I'd need a 'vette to cheer me up. They go round corners these days, sound great, have a proper manual box (try getting that on a merc), and can be quite economical on a run. All for $50,000-what's that ~£30,000?

Ok-the soft touch plastics aren't top notch quality-but, frankly, who'd care?

Peugeot 407 Coupe - Advice on car purchase, any help would be great! - jamie745

Aren't those the Corvette's with the squishy back end?

Yup, but it'll be everyone else looking at it!

Peugeot 407 Coupe - Advice on car purchase, any help would be great! - jamie745

I like the 407 Coupe, i was never sure about the 407 generally though as i was such a big fan of the 406. I felt the 406 should've stayed in production for another few years rather than being redeveloped into a whole new car. The Coupe 407 is its best bodyshape, even though the thing is massive (larger all round than the saloon).

But still....the face!!!

Peugeot 407 Coupe - Advice on car purchase, any help would be great! - Avant

Personally I much preferred the looks of the 406 coupe - graceful and flowing, and not trying to be too clever.

Welcome to the forum, Greenmeany, and I do hope you enjoy the search for a car. Looking around can be as much fun as buying.

This looks like a decision that you and your partner are making with the heart rather than the head - and why not indeed. It looks as if your priorities are good looks and good performance, especially low-down torque. If it were me I'd go for a convertible (I have an old BMW Z3 as a fun car). but you may prefer a closed coupe. Is it just for the two of you or do you need four seats?

My choice would be an Audi with a 3.0 litre engine: the 3.0 V6 diesel is a lovely engine and can be found in the TT and A5 (coupe or convertible) - or in the old A4 convertible if you don't want to spend too much. If you don't like Audis, the BMW 3.0 straight-six is another glorious engine in both petrol and diesel, with plenty of coupes and convertibles to choose from. A BMW is more for the press-on driver who likes to get the utmost out of their car; Audis suit a more laid-back style of driving.

Do keep us up to date with how you get on.

Edited by Avant on 09/03/2012 at 00:14

"and it made me think that I have to live life for the moment." .

my wife had a relative who did something along those lines, she had advanced cancer and had always struggled to be sensible and not buy anything on HP and live a quite life.

But after hearing from the hospital that nothing more could be done they thought blow it,,and that very weekend bought a MERC convertable on hp. She had a superb 12months in that car went almost everywhere with the roof down and a big grin.

My own father passed away from a heart attack aged 39.

to use a naff advert line....."one life, live it"......

Paul.

what about a big jag. a XKR or something like that....big, plush, crap mpg haha,,,or an Aston DB7/DB9 sod being sensible and worrying about mpg and insurance thats for when you retire....this is a weekend toy.....even get a private plate with +++TOY on it...