Most reliable car for 1000 miles a week - TR7

Hi I get 20p a mile fuel plus a monthly car allowance. Can anyone recommend a reliable efficient car about £8000 max?

I do about 1000 miles a week.

Thanks in advance

Most reliable car for 1000 miles a week - jamie745

Well on 50k+ a year a diesel is obviously a must and something pretty comfortable to be in is probably on the requirements list! In general though most things tend to be quite reliable in that sort of driving. It'll always be running warm and presumably on motorways regularly, thats how a car likes to work.

Most reliable car for 1000 miles a week - gordonbennet

That mileage it might be worth getting a Hyundai and taking advantage of their 5 year unlimited mileage warranty, assuming the unlimited bit still stands.

So whatever you fancy in their range, of course the warranty will depend on correct servicing which will be frequent, however no car is going to stand that mileage unless its maintained well.

Most reliable car for 1000 miles a week - unthrottled

Assuming most of that mileage is cruising on motorways/A roads, most anything should be reliable-unless you're unlucky enough to get a lemon.

Gotta be diesel at that mileage. You can get a late model, low mileage 1.9 TDI Golf for for under £8k. PSA HDi engines are fairly robust, and the cars are cheap-especially Citroens.

How about a Citroen C3 1.6 HDi for about £5k? Not exciting, but the resale value will be terrible on any car that clocks up £50k p.a. With the lump sum left over-and your monthly car allowance and fuel mileage, you could easily buy something fun for the weekend. Sitting at 70-80 on the motorway, there's very little to distinguish between any modern car, so no point splashing out on something fancy.

Edited by unthrottled on 04/03/2012 at 17:40

Most reliable car for 1000 miles a week - Collos25

Did you know you can claim the difference from what you receive in mileage allowance and the government set figure I think its 40p so if you do a reasonable mileage you will receive a cheque for around 500ukp every year,the claim formis on the internet.

Thanks Collos yes I do that

Most reliable car for 1000 miles a week - craig-pd130

Well, I did NOT know that one could claim the difference between government rates and the employer rate for business mileage on company cars, too.

That's me on the phone to the tax office in the morning. I only do about 4K work miles a year, but can backdate this 4 years. Cheers guys :-D

I think this is only paid if you do over 10000 miles a year. But worth you checking it out.

Most reliable car for 1000 miles a week - Collos25

Its paid at full rate up to 10000miles and then it reduces to I think 23 pence I claim it every year its done for me but last year I had a cheque for 420pounds.Anybody who is employed and claims mileage can and does qualify.

Most reliable car for 1000 miles a week - unthrottled

Can I throw in a left field option?

How about a Mazda 6 2.0D. That's right, the one with the dodgy DPF regen system. Mimsers have lots of problems with this DPF system, but plenty of those cars clocked up galactic mileages without a problem.

Travelling 50,000 miles/year, the regen problem should not be a problem-and you can pick one up for buttons.

Can I throw in a left field option?

How about a Mazda 6 2.0D. That's right, the one with the dodgy DPF regen system. Mimsers have lots of problems with this DPF system, but plenty of those cars clocked up galactic mileages without a problem.

Travelling 50,000 miles/year, the regen problem should not be a problem-and you can pick one up for buttons.

Thanks I'll look at them.

Its interesting you mention that unthrottled because i have seen diesel Mazda 6's with 200k+ on them still working, yet all i hear about is how they blow up after 3 days. Maybe they just dont handle the average mileage-short trip-cold start life cycle of the typical owner particularly well?

This brings me back to my point, almost anything is reliable if used in this way. Some Taxi companies still use Peugeot 406's and Vauxhall Omega's, hardly two cars renowned for bulletproof reliability but they're doing 250k+ with no issues. Because they're in use all of every day, always running warm, always moving.

A typical car spends most of its life stationary and most of its time moving is spent cold which is awful for an engine.

Most reliable car for 1000 miles a week - balleballe

I know of 4 people that had a mazda 6 or mazda 3 with the 2.0D

Three have had no problems (30k+ miles a year)

One has had DPF problems (20-25k a year)

You pay your money, and take your chance........

Most reliable car for 1000 miles a week - Roly93

Did you know you can claim the difference from what you receive in mileage allowance and the government set figure I think its 40p so if you do a reasonable mileage you will receive a cheque for around 500ukp every year,the claim formis on the internet.

I think it is actually 45p up to the first 10K miles, I do about 12K business miles so I always claim ! After the first 10K it goes down to 25p.

Most reliable car for 1000 miles a week - ChannelZ

Hyundai i30 or Kia C'eed. 5 year or 7 year warranty respecively. Very good cars, very good engine with the 1.6CRDI.

Most reliable car for 1000 miles a week - Smileyman

Yes, you can claim tax relief on the shortfall if your employer does not pay you mileage at the gov rate, ... even more valuable if you are a 40% tax payer!

see link below.....

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/relief-mileage.htm

Most reliable car for 1000 miles a week - concrete

I claim for about 25K-30K per annum for mileage. First 10K at 45p then 25p thereafter. However I don't have to make any claims to HMRC. My company pay me monthly. My mileage claim, along with fuel receipts for proof of purchase, goes in with my monthly expenses and is paid within 5 days. The money sits in a high(ho-ho-ho)interest account to pay fuel on credit card, servicing etc. Works a treat and my personal tax code remains at a full 757, so less income tax to pay. Cheers Concrete

Most reliable car for 1000 miles a week - barney100

You can get a decent Merc C220 diesel for that 8k. Get one of those used car waranties with it. I saw my old one on the motorway the other day which I sold three years ago, looked just the same.

I saw my old one on the motorway the other day which I sold three years ago, looked just the same.

How else would it look?

Most reliable car for 1000 miles a week - barney100

worn out, spewinig smoke....rusty....full of holes.....resprayed......uncared for......generally scruff, etc etc. No, it looked just the same as I sold it.

Thanks for suggestions guys still looking........

Most reliable car for 1000 miles a week - Avant

Have a look at the thread started by Rustygate, which asks a similar question. Here's the suggestion I made there:

I agree that the Kia Ceed is well worth a look. A Focus estate should be on your shortlist - more of them around than Kias, and better to drive than any Vauxhall.

If you look at anything from the VW Group ( a Golf estate or Octavia hatch or estate would have lots of room for surfing kit without being any more expensive to run than a 306) go for the 1.9 TDI rather than the 2.0 unless you can afford a 2.0 common-rail diesel. The 2.0 PD had some reliability issues. Driven gently a 1.9 TDI can give you 60 mpg on a long run.

Any used diesel is something of a gamble so make sure it's got a full service history and a change of cambelt if relevant.

Good luck!

Do your duplicate posts count as spamming? :P

looking at a 2009 2.0 pd octavia .Are these reliable?

Probably OK as by 2009 (just before the CR engines came in) they should have Bosch injectors rather than the Siemens items which gave all the trouble.

Most reliable car for 1000 miles a week - Xileno

You need something economical, comfortable, refined, relaible and cheap second-hand.

Something others ignore due to the bad reputation of its predecessor.

Laguna MK3 dCi 2.0 150 ticks all the boxes. Reliable Nissan-Renault 2.0 chain-cam engine.

Superbly comfortable and refined.

Well built.

Very low road noise intrusion. I can almost nod off driving these zzzzzzzzzzzzzzEverything the MK2 should have been.

Possibly a bit dull to look at but you won'tbe seeing the exterior much.

Interior is a nice place to spend many hours.

Edited by Xileno on 10/03/2012 at 21:02

Xileno - that looks like the stupid, pathetic Internet Explorer imposing itself again. Try using Google Chrome or Firefox.

Using Firefox on this occasion!

Good to see your 'face' around, just like the old days...

Likewise! Do you still have that valiant old 205 GRD as your spare car - from the days when Peugeot could do no wrong? SWMBO had two 205 diesels followed by a 206 which was a huge disappointment.

Yes still have the 205 although it is currently not in use. I shall tax and insure it for the summer months and then put it back in the barn for the winter months, prefessionally decommissioned of course...

Like yourself, we found the 206 a disappointment, at the time I think the only available engine was the 1.9. Later 206s came with the 2.0HDi and also a 1.6 - maybe impressions may be different now.

Driving the 205 does make one feel a bit vulnerable these days - it's light-weight compared to modern designs but that 1.7 diesel still impresses after all these years. Emissions probably off the scale now though with all these Euro rules.

At the moment my everyday car is a humble Ford Focus Zetec which has exceeded expectations. I do not currently drive a Renault although I am looking to correct this failing shortly...

Do you still play the organ?

Thanks for all the info. I bought an i30 premium crdi 2008. I will keep you posted.

Sounds like a good choice, pkqpr. Good luck with it.

Yes, still organist at Sonning-on-Thames, Xileno - well remembered! Been there for 34 years, for the first 20 or so of which one is the 'new organist'.