Ford Mondeo Mk2 1999 - Gluing mirror back on windscreen - Whacko

When trying to stick the mirror back on (with Loctite 'Rear View Mirror Bonder') is it necessary to remove the black rectangle stuck to the screen, if so how ? I've tried a razor blade and it won't touch it. Advice would be much appreciated.

Ford Mondeo Mk2 1999 - Gluing mirror back on windscreen - Chris M

Personally, I've never had much luck getting mirrors to stick back, so last time, I visited a windcreen place and they did it for free. Mirror stayed in place!

Edited by Chris M on 04/03/2012 at 12:16

Thanks Chris M.

Ford Mondeo Mk2 1999 - Gluing mirror back on windscreen - likerocks

DIY shops sell epoxy putty for repairing drilled holes in walls. I've successfully used a blob of this to put a mirror back on. Leave the black rectangle in place - the matt surface is better for sticking to, so long as it has no previous adhesive residue on it. Oh, and support the weight of the mirror until the resin sets.

Thanks likerocks.

Ford Mondeo Mk2 1999 - Gluing mirror back on windscreen - TeeCee

Most car accessory shops sell the correct super-strength sticky pads that would have originally attached the mirror.

Clean mirror "foot" and black screen insert[1] with alcohol, peel off covers and stick mirror on with pad. Instant fix, no need to wait for glue to dry or support anything.

[1] Normally it's impossible to remove this as its embedded in the screen. Its job is to provide a non-glass surface for the sticky pad to stick to and also prevent U/V from degrading the adhesive.

Ford Mondeo Mk2 1999 - Gluing mirror back on windscreen - jc2

As someone has already said,the black square is to stop degradation of the adhesive;the correct adhesive is available from Ford dealers.

Ford Mondeo Mk2 1999 - Gluing mirror back on windscreen - ChannelZ

You can also unclip the mirror from it's mount, and just stick it on to the screen, using duct/duck tape to hold it on.

jc2 thank you, will call the local dealer.

TeeCee thank you. Point about UV and the black area understood.

Ford Mondeo Mk2 1999 - Gluing mirror back on windscreen - jc2

TeeCee suggests alcohol for cleaning the screen-methylated spirit is cheaper and as good.