Volkswagen Golf V - Security system has disabled my Golf - rooksilver

I have just returned from 3 months abroad. Unfortunately on trying to start my Golf (2 years old) it was totally devoid of power. The remote would not even open doors.

Looking at various forums I found out how to open the door (use key in notch below the cover to the rear of handle), I then jump started car. It initially sounded car alarm, but this went off. When I tried next time car started perfectly and everything worked, however when I had driven some miles and parked the car it would not start again. It was totally dead, again the remote wouldn't even open doors. It must have had power in the battery by that time. I can now start car easily if I jump start, and car works quite normally when engine running but will not do anything after car is switched off.

Is this an alarm problem which disables car if you try and jump start it? I have tried phoning my normal garage to ask them whether it can be reprogrammed but they will not let anybody technical talk to me, all they want to do is send a car transporter and collect vehicle and take back to garage. If it's a question of a quick reprogramme of the alarm system I would rather drive it to an autoelectricians and get the job done while I wait.

Anybody got any ideas!

Volkswagen Golf V - Security system has disabled my Golf - elekie&a/c doctor

After 3 months of non use, I would think the battery has died and will not recover.Get a new replacement.Can't see this being an alarm or electronic problem.hth

Volkswagen Golf V - Security system has disabled my Golf - Peter D

It sounds like you have a failed battery that no longer holds a charge. With no jump leads but ignition on, do the head lights come on. I suspect not. Regards Peter

Edited by Peter D on 03/03/2012 at 12:59

Volkswagen Golf V - Security system has disabled my Golf - skidpan

Voltmeter across battery terminals. A healthy battery will show about 12.7 volts, 12.4 or less and the car will not even start.

Volkswagen Golf V - Security system has disabled my Golf - rooksilver

The problem is that if you immediately turn the ignition on after driving for say, about 5 miles, you get absolutely nothing! Not even a red light. A battery has to be very dead for that to happen and this battery is less than two years old.