Audi A3 Sportback - Mixing Tyre Treads - metalmarky

Can anyone advise whether there is a problem mixing tyre treads front and rear. My wife's A3 has Dunlop Sport tyres on the front axle marked AO (Audi Only). The rear tyres now need replacing and we have been offered Dunlop Sport Max. The dimensions, speed rating and loadings are the same, the only difference is the tread pattern. Also, should the tyres be rotated front to back? Many thanks in anticipation

Audi A3 Sportback - Mixing Tyre Treads - skidpan

You will be fine. Would not recommend mixing on the same axle though. Always put the tyres with the best tread on the rear.

Audi A3 Sportback - Mixing Tyre Treads - Roly93

No problems doing this but personally I wouldn't buy Dunlops intentionally.

Audi A3 Sportback - Mixing Tyre Treads - daveyjp
Didn't know Audi have followed merc and have a stamped tyre. A gimmick. Same size, speed and loading is fine

I've had two A3s and handbook said newest tyres on the front.
Audi A3 Sportback - Mixing Tyre Treads - metalmarky

Many thanks for your assistance gents. The Dunlops lasted 31K

Audi A3 Sportback - Mixing Tyre Treads - Roly93

Many thanks for your assistance gents. The Dunlops lasted 31K

No more than average for rear tyres on one of these, I had Dunlops on both of my A4's and they lasted a long time, however for the latter part of their life they caused a strange 'noisy wheel bearing' sound when driving on smooth road surfaces which is a common fault on Audis fitted with Dunlop SP Sport Maxx tyres. The noise went when I changed tyres, but it was so incredibly irritating and why I dont like Dunlops. I have to admit I didn't know some of them were marked Audi only though.

Edited by Roly93 on 23/02/2012 at 09:42

Audi A3 Sportback - Mixing Tyre Treads - gordonbennet
I've had two A3s and handbook said newest tyres on the front.

Oh dear, what are those who believe all writ is gospel to do..;)

Tyre companies say this...we must do

Handbook says that...we must do.

Audi A3 Sportback - Mixing Tyre Treads - daveyjp

I know gordonbennet - I wonder if tyre companies possibly have a vested interest! i.e. seling more tyres

Audi A3 Sportback - Mixing Tyre Treads - skidpan

Years ago the advice was always fit the new tyres to your driving wheels i.e. front on FWD rear on RWD. This still holds good for RWD cars but when you have new tyres on the front of a FWD car with well worn ones on the back in wet conditions the rear can loose grip prematurely and put you off the road or worse still involve others in your accident. If you have the worn ones on the front the worst that normally happens is the front looses grip and you plough strait on, not exactly desirable and it can still have dire consequences of course but statistically its a safer way to have an accident if you are going to have one.

Audi A3 Sportback - Mixing Tyre Treads - sandy56

worn tyres on the front are you mad?

Look up tyre performance/brake performance- the majority of your braking effort is on the front tyres, poor braking and ooops...

Always put the best tyres on the front and they should be of the same spec. The number of people who cant be bothered to learn the basics desrve all they get..

Audi A3 Sportback - Mixing Tyre Treads - BAGLANBOYBRIAN

It depends whether you want to go through the hedge frontwards or backwards. Worn tyres on front OFF ROAD FORWARD. Worn tyres on back GO OFF BACKWARDS. Take your pick.