Ford Fiesta - Push on fuel hoses - pullgees

Replacing the Bosch fuel filter on my diesel there are two push on fuel hoses. The connectors have two tabs either side which you have to pinch in to release the hose.

Can someone explain how these connectors grip the pipe, I just don't understand how they work, what is preventing them sliding off? Just curious.

Ford Fiesta - Push on fuel hoses - daveyjp
Push your finger in one and you will learn a painful lesson in how they work!
Push your finger in one and you will learn a painful lesson in how they work!

I would if my finget was small enough.

If there is tension on the tiny semi circular clips I would have though that pinching the tabs in would increase the grip not release it. They are complicated little things and i suppose rather hard to describe the function without a diagram.

Ford Fiesta - Push on fuel hoses - jc2

They're called "John Guest" connectors-they don't clip over anything-they will fit on any metal or plastic pipe of the correct diameter.Can also be used for water and CH systems.Details of how they work are on the "John Guest" website.

They're called "John Guest" connectors-they don't clip over anything-they will fit on any metal or plastic pipe of the correct diameter.Can also be used for water and CH systems.Details of how they work are on the "John Guest" website.

I had a look on that website but cannot see any explanation of how they work. Also could they be Bosch connectors using a John Guest principle I'm wondering?