All - free, safe, permanent solution for failed tailgate - bob930232

Hello everyone

Just to let fellow vehicle owners know that there is an alternative to wasting more money on buying new gas struts.

I’m not allowed to tell you the website.

I’ve had a nightmare with these failed gas springs.

The replacement ones keep on failing – it’s like they are made to fail.

What swung it for me is that it’s a free and permanent solution, and I can use it again & again on any other car

The girl looks hot as well J

Bob

All - free, safe, permanent solution for failed tailgate - Avant

Bob - I've hidden previous posts as you posted this same message on several old threads - just what people do when they're trying to plug a product. As you can imagine this isn't fair on our genuine advertisers.

If you really are just a satisfied customer, we can ask any forum members with falling tailgates to E-mail us at moderators@honestjohn.co.uk and we can pass this on to you.

Personally I've driven hatchbacks and estates since 1973 and never had the problem.

All - free, safe, permanent solution for failed tailgate - The Gingerous One

so this isn't an advert for an old bit of wood then ?

cut to size for the given car/bootlid application.

Lol The Gingerous One, about the wood.

The bit of wood did very briefly (and mean very briefly) cross my mind, but I instantly dismissed it because it’s extremely dangerous. I wouldn’t fancy getting under the hatch (which is basically a guillotine) with a bit of wood supporting it.

Having looked very carefully at their website I would be very, very surprised if that was the case.

Mainly because a bit of wood wouldn’t be safe.

These are bits from their website:-

Warning - Danger of Death

If this heavy part falls freely it will cause death, or paralyze you from the neck down….

Also, if this very heavy part falls freely it will do expensive damage to your car and break the glass.

DO NOT USE ANY UNSAFE SOLUTION to keep this component in the open position. This is even more so in windy conditions.

Our solution is completely safe, and is actually safer than when the brand new vehicle came out of the factory.”

I don’t see how a bit of wood would be safer than when the brand new vehicle came out of the factory.

However, I’m going email them and ask them about the bit of wood. Will let you know what they say.

Bob

All - free, safe, permanent solution for failed tailgate - ChannelZ

I dunno, over 25 years I've only had one car that's had a gas strut fail, that was on a Mk4 Astra. That was because it had a retrofit spoiler, so the boot lid was heavy and one strut couldn't hold the lid up. £10 from a scrapyard got me a pair of the uprated ones, which I've no doubt are still working on that car.

All - free, safe, permanent solution for failed tailgate - mss1tw

Mole grips worked on our old Transporter...

All - free, safe, permanent solution for failed tailgate - bathtub tom

A length of cane sufficed for my old '80s Austin Ambassador. They had the largest tailgate ever made at the time and would easily fracture the wing of a swan if unsupported.

All - free, safe, permanent solution for failed tailgate - thunderbird

Hatchbacks/estates since 1983 and never had a failed strut, always thought they were gas filled. The ones on the Puma only really worked properly (i.e. raised the tailgate from a press on the fob) on warm/hot days but they only needed a gentle reminder what they were there for.

Thunderbird – that’s what I used to think, until mine failed. The best option is if they didn’t fail at all, as I don’t want to spend any more money on my car than I need to.

However, the reality is that they do fail on a regular basis, and more often than people think.

Just found this, FYI:-

Honda Canada is recalling three different models over two separate defects this week, a possible gas leak and a rear liftgate failure.

The gas struts that raise and support the liftgate door may fail because of a manufacturing flaw, and could thus fall unexpectedly when that door is open. You might get thwacked in the head if you'd happened to be unloading groceries or something at the time.”

All - free, safe, permanent solution for failed tailgate - thunderbird

Thunderbird – that’s what I used to think, until mine failed. The best option is if they didn’t fail at all, as I don’t want to spend any more money on my car than I need to.

However, the reality is that they do fail on a regular basis, and more often than people think.

Just found this, FYI:-

Honda Canada is recalling three different models over two separate defects this week, a possible gas leak and a rear liftgate failure.

The gas struts that raise and support the liftgate door may fail because of a manufacturing flaw, and could thus fall unexpectedly when that door is open. You might get thwacked in the head if you'd happened to be unloading groceries or something at the time.”

Your second sentance makes no sense whatsoever.

They don't fail on a regular basis, how many cars do you see at the supermarket with pieces of wood or unconsious people behind them, simple answer is none.

That does not mean they don't fail and if I had one fail i would simply sort it.

As I said since 1983 no failures thus I will not be worrying.

Hello Thunderbird, in reply to your post, the 2nd part of my post doesn't agree with your past experience in these matters:-

All - free, safe, permanent solution for failed tailgate - TeeCee

Some good quality scaremongering there. Just the sort of bullwossaname you expect from snake oil merchants.

Of course "this heavy part" (presumably they mean "the tailgate") will not "fall freely" when gas struts start to go, the thing sags. If it's falling freely, you've ignored the problem for waaay too long.

When the pair on my Zafira got "tired" and the thing started to tap me on the bonce in winter (rather oddly failing to kill me or paralyze me from the neck down in the process), I just bought a pair of unbranded struts off eBay from Germany. 30 EUR the pair[1] and they're still going strong three winters later....

[1] Presumably GM can justify 60EUR per strut(!) on top of that(!!) for silkscreening their part number and logo onto 'em.

All - free, safe, permanent solution for failed tailgate - Ethan Edwards

Worked out what it is yet? I think it's a bungee cord system nailed to your front bumper.'

'Never be bothered by a closed tailgate again', new 'perma open' banishes your closed tailgate woes. Turn it round it's a ladies evening dress, amaze your friends gain a washboard stomach.......only $39.99 thats right only $39.99 including delivery.

Act now limited stocks........

h/t to Rich Hall.

All - free, safe, permanent solution for failed tailgate - Bilboman

Reading this thread got me thinking - why do so few "run of the mill" cars not have a proper support mechanism for the bonnet instead of the ubiquitous hinged strut that has to be slotted into place? It must be the crudest mechanism in the whole car! Why the penny pinching? Why force motorists to carry out a two-handed operation for such a routine task? It's true that the bonnet is probably opened once or twice for every 30 or 40 boot or tailgate openings, but it's a source of annoyance and inconvenience nonetheless.

I remember my dad's Maxi having an umbrella-style sliding strut which automatically clicked into place to hold the bonnet open, making it an easy one handed operation: hardly rocket science, is it? Admittedly BL cars of the 1970s did tend to have their bonnets open rather than other marques - only Leyland felt the need to advertise "Supercover" (with the backdrop of a broken-down car) as a unique selling point!

All - free, safe, permanent solution for failed tailgate - Bobbin Threadbare

My car has a skinny metal stick to hold the bonnet up, which has a plastic bit on the end. It doesn't fit into any of the possible holes in the bonnet lid at all!!! I work as fast as possible when I have to have the bonnet lid up!

The bonnet support is one of VAG's silly symbolic gestures to make people justify paying more for a VW over a Skoda, along with damped grab handles.

All - free, safe, permanent solution for failed tailgate - Bobbin Threadbare

'Damped'? As a physicist, this has a certain meaning to me. Please don't tell me that VAG actually market them like this......!

Lol The Gingerous One, about the wood.

However, I’m going email them and ask them about the bit of wood. Will let you know what they say.

This is the reply they have send to my email.

Dear Bob

Thanks for your custom and your enquiry.

We can assure you that you will very pleased with our discovery. We have used advanced mathematical, computer and analytical techniques to ensure that our solution for failed tailgate gas struts is more than 100% safe.

And our solution is NOT a piece of wood, or broom stick or any other derivative or permutation of these ideas.

Please do not use any of these methods to support the tailgate/hatch of a car/van/people carrier as it is very, very dangerous indeed, especially in windy conditions. It is not just your safety but the safety of others around the vehicle, especially kids.

In any case, the piece of wood would get in the way and restrict the access to the storage area. Also, it can easily fail especially if you are loading/unloading a bulky or awkward item, and bring that heavy hatch crashing down and causing damage to the car as well as to life and limb.

Our solution gives you EXACTLY the same level of access as the original factory fitted gas spring struts, and is completely safe. In fact, it is safer than when the brand new car came out of the factory.

These gas struts are very finely balanced & designed only JUST to keep the tailgate open. Even a loss of pressure of 5% in just one of the gas struts is enough for the tailgate not to stay open (i.e. a failure condition). Also, both struts are required for the tailgate to stay open; so failure of one strut means the tailgate will not stay open.

Please DO NOT USE ANY UNSAFE SOLUTION to keep this component in the open position. This is even more so in windy conditions. There is a real danger of death, or very serious injury.

Our solution is completely safe, and is actually safer than when the brand new vehicle came out of the factory.

Some other points of interest about our solution are (see our website for full details):-

- It is a truly inspiring & unique solution.

- A free solution that you can use again and again for free.

- We are so confident with our discovery that we can offer you a money back guarantee.

- A permanent solution. This solution will outlast any other moving part on your car, van or people carrier. In other words, you do not need to spend any more money on this problem again.

- Our solution also comes with some very useful & highly desirable (but unrelated) benefits to you.

- The car industry doesn’t really mind that your gas spring struts fail, because they benefit from this failure.

- Our solution is Green & Environmentally friendly

Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any other questions whatsoever.

Many Thanks

The support team.

A FREE*, SAFE, PERMANENT solution for failed gas spring tailgate struts

All - free, safe, permanent solution for failed tailgate - TeeCee

So it is a piece of wood and not a bungee then........?

What's the footnote that the asterisk next to "FREE" refers to?

All - free, safe, permanent solution for failed tailgate - Mazda-Man
Y

Edited by Mazda-Man on 09/03/2012 at 08:50

All - free, safe, permanent solution for failed tailgate - Mazda-Man

So it is a piece of wood and not a bungee then........?
What's the footnote that the asterisk next to "FREE" refers to? Yes I wonder... Could it be referring the reader to the actual costs involved in this taking advantage of this 'FREE' solution to a problem which doesn't really exist? If it is really FREE then why the need for a money back guarantee? What's that about? lol

Referring to the last couple of posts. In their reply to my question it clearly says

"And our solution is NOT a piece of wood, or broom stick or any other derivative or permutation of these ideas."

If just do a google search for something like

"failed tailgate struts"

you will see that it is a common problem, and an expensive one to fix.

"What's the footnote that the asterisk next to "FREE" refers to?"

Best if you visit the website and read it yourself.

If you email moderators@honestjohn.co.uk i'm sure they can tell you what the website is.

All - free, safe, permanent solution for failed tailgate - 1litregolfeater

My MOT tester knows the rigmarole. Doesn't lift, open manually, look for bit of wood.

It is actually better once they fail as it allows you to drive back from Wickes with stuff sticking out much easier and no worry.

All - free, safe, permanent solution for failed tailgate - KB.

Thread resurrection alert.

But having come across it I thought I might as well add to it instead of starting a new one ... and it does include posts from members no longer active here (for better or worse).

I banged my head, yesterday, on the tailgate of our Hyundai i10 due to the fact that the gas struts had lost interest after 8 years.

I rang a local Hyundai dealer .... £107 for the pair inc. VAT (supply only) ... would have had to be ordered as not in stock and then collected from 8 miles away.

Ebay and Amazon showed a few but strangely most, if not all, turned out to supply from Germany or elsewhere therefore not likely to arrive especially quickly.

Google turned up a UK company who had a proper website andphone number and who answered the phone straight away and who were helpful in the extreme. The struts arrived, well packed, before mid-day today (bearing in mind I rang them just yesterday) and fitting them was easy peasy.

They cost £38 for the pair including courier delivery and VAT.

Terrific service.

Avant knows I would have no connection and no desire to advertise commercially - but I think they're worth a mention ... SGS Engineering in Derby. I'd certainly recommend them.

Thanks for that KB - no problem with recommendations from satisfied customers!

All - free, safe, permanent solution for failed tailgate - corax

I've used SGS for gas struts and a trolley jack. Excellent products.

All - free, safe, permanent solution for failed tailgate - KB.

To be honest I initially just went to the site and straight to struts and that was that - but now you mention it I just went back and am mightily taken aback at what else they do.

They seem to like Milwaukee and Hyundai stuff but I saw Makita too. A veritable Aladdins Cave for blokes.

All - free, safe, permanent solution for failed tailgate - Ethan Edwards

Seeing as I was trading my Qq I bought two from Ebay cheapies cost about 15 quid. Worked fine...too well in fact. The tailgate shot up...but it stayed up so all good. It did nearly chin my wife...I did warn her it was a bit swift. Traded it in no problems.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 18/04/2019 at 06:55

All - free, safe, permanent solution for failed tailgate - barney100

Gas struts can't be all that expensive surely.