Rover 214 SLi Buying advice please. - lightning
I am going to look at a 1993 (L Reg) Rover 214 SLi tomorrow. Is there anything on particular on these cars I should look out for?
Thanks and Happy New Year.
Rover 214 SLi Buying advice please. - memyself-aye
I owned an N reg 214i - single cam as oppossed to the twin cam on the SLI model but otherwise identical - took it from nine to ninety two thousand miles in five years.
The main weakness is in the cooling system it\'s small (very fast warm up but big head warping problems if you lose coolant) -the car should have had a new radiator by now if not, budget for one (£75)-they\'re easy to fit.
Cam belts are not particularly notorious but again should have been replaced.
Rear suspension bushes -the press fittings in the radius arm - can be MOT fails and are tedious to change.
Mine also had a starter problem due to worn flywheel teeth jamming the starter motor- needed a new flywheel.
They often fail MOT\'s on the front suspension lower knuckle joint -looks like a dog\'s toy bone - appartently they\'re too weak to absorb front suspension movement over time. THey are however cheap and easy to replace.
Apart from that it\'s just the usual.
Dont pay too much - I sold mine 18 months ago for £900
Good luck
Rover 214 SLi Buying advice please. - Dave_TD
I hope you've looked in the cbcb? Here's the page you want:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.php?url=/carbycar/index...m
Rover 214 SLi Buying advice please. - David Lacey
Yep, can concur with all of the above - good solid little motors.

Many of which have covered some considerable mileages.

Keep the cooling system in tip-top condition and there's no need to worry! You'll love the quick warm-up in the winter, due to the low coolant volume within the engine itself....about 1.5 litres!

Loose any of that coolant and you'll pay dear!

MG-Rover Problems? forums.mg-rover.org