Vauxhall Corsa - Corsa 1.2di 2002-2005 & ta for help so far! - TRAVELMAN

Hi all! Thanks SO MUCH for the advice so far! I'm not at all technically minded so it's helped greatly! In my search for a 1.4d or less (to keep the £30 tax) thanks to you guys I've narrowed it down to Toyotal yaris (reliability, pre-2005 on PDF, & i think a cam chain not belt), Fiesta 1.4di as choice 2-depending on local availability (more fiestas than yaris's!_.

Could I ask you guys about corsa 1.2di? They seem to be good value-cheap parts & plently around & I think even cheaper on insurance. Do the older models (2002-2005) have PDF filters?

Again-thanks so much for the time & effort to help me!

Last question-if I find a from a private seller & like it-would it be worth paying for an RAC inspection?

Bump bump...any ideas anyone?

Vauxhall Corsa - Corsa 1.2di 2002-2005 & ta for help so far! - ChannelZ

I wouldn't touch one with yours. It's a horrible little engine from FIAT. Camshafts snap, turbos go, EGR issues, wiring loom issues, cam chains stretch, and it wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding anyway.

Go for the 1.7Di/ DTi /CDTI Corsa if you really want one, it's a solid old engine that'll go on for an eternity.

I wouldn't touch one with yours. It's a horrible little engine from FIAT. Camshafts snap, turbos go, EGR issues, wiring loom issues, cam chains stretch, and it wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding anyway.

Go for the 1.7Di/ DTi /CDTI Corsa if you really want one, it's a solid old engine that'll go on for an eternity.

Ah....ok. Honest john car review had 'reccomended as a used buy' ??! . What are your thoughts on a Fiesta 1/4di?

Vauxhall Corsa - Corsa 1.2di 2002-2005 & ta for help so far! - gordonbennet

You don't need to go as small as as a 1.4, several small cars have excellent 1.6 Diesels and still fit in the £30 VED band.

Citroen C2 and C3, Pug 207, Fiat Punto, Fiesta.

Ah thanks! Didn't know that! Any reccomendations out of those 3?

Ah....ok. Honest john car review had 'reccomended as a used buy' ??! . What are your thoughts on a Fiesta 1/4di?

The 1.4TDCI is the same engine as fitted to the 206/207, and some early Yaris. They're an OK engine, but really very slow. They also have issues with the injectors seizing in to the head, but that's a once-in-a-lifetime issue if you need injectors doing.

As someone else said, the 1.6TDCI is far better, and in the Fiesta doesn't have a DPF. Same engine again in the 207, but had a DPF in the 207.

Personally I'd have a 1.6HDi 207 before a 1.4TDCI Fiesta. Bigger car, better engine.

Also, the 207 can have the DPF removed really easily, it's a £400 job to remove the DPF, fit a bypass pipe, and remove the DPF functions from the ECU. Brilliant if you're using the car for short journeys - you get the punchy engine, and none of the pitfalls with clogged filters.

Vauxhall Corsa - Corsa 1.2di 2002-2005 & ta for help so far! - madf

The 1.4TDCI is the same engine as fitted to the 206/207, and some early Yaris

No: itt has NEVER been fitted in a Yaris. The Yaris has always been fitted with Toyota's 1.4 diesel engine. Period.

The 1.4TDCI is the same engine as fitted to the 206/207, and some early Yaris

No: itt has NEVER been fitted in a Yaris. The Yaris has always been fitted with Toyota's 1.4 diesel engine. Period.

Oh, well, excuse me. I'll go and whip myself with a rabid, rusty barbed wire chain. That'll teach me for making a mistake.

Vauxhall Corsa - Corsa 1.2di 2002-2005 & ta for help so far! - Avant

My daughter's 1.3 petrol Yaris costs only £30 to tax. Go for a petrol unless your annual mileage is 20,000 + .

Vauxhall Corsa - Corsa 1.2di 2002-2005 & ta for help so far! - 1litregolfeater

Japanese cars sell on their reputation for reliabilty, I'm not sure if this can be justified any more.

Diesel cars sell on their reputation for economy. These days, I think you have to do over 20,000 miles a year.

So I think it comes down to looks. The Corsa used to be pretty and the Yaris used to be ugly. They made the Corsa ugly and they made the Yaris prettier.

Think I'd wear a blindfold and a mask and get a Yaris based on it's reliability.

Or chicken out, get on the internet and meet her cheap cousins from Korea