Need some help with my next purchase - vxr53

I'm looking to spend £2000 on my next car, I'm looking at a focus/astra size. My car wont be used that much during the week as I cycle to work. But at weekends going to days out and visiting family etc, I reckon I will do about 150 miles a weekend as an average figure.

Does this make the idea of a diesel model a no no???

Anybody got any suggestiond for something, reliable, comfortable (ish) and not too thirsty, I want about 40mpg average or above. I'm hope I'm not asking too much!!

Need some help with my next purchase - ChannelZ

Petrol Focus or Astra sounds like the job.

I think a 1.6 will provide near 40mpg and have some go if needed. A perfect blend of performance and economy. Is 40 mpg achievable in the real world with a 1.6 16v??

Need some help with my next purchase - unthrottled

yes.

Need some help with my next purchase - Trilogy

Toyota Corolla.

Need some help with my next purchase - Avant

For £2,000 you'll get a newer petrol than diesel. I agree with the suggestion of a Corolla - there's nothing quite like an old Toyota for soldiering on almost forever.

Alternatively if you often carry people in the back the old-shape Honda Civic 1.6 is a contender. Either of these driven gently on a long run should give you 40 mpg.

I've browsed auto trader and a 2003/4 Toyota corolla looks a very good option for 2 grand. I don't think I'm that bothered if I get a 1.4 or 1.6, as long as I get a good one!!