Toyota - Two stroke cars. - Oli rag

I know toyota and orbital have developed 2 strokes, but has everyone given up on them? I also know that long term emissions seem to have been one of the problems with them. Evinrude the outboard manufacturer seem to have been having success and critical acclaim for their etec range, could this technology not solve the previous problems?

Toyota - Two stroke cars. - craig-pd130

The problem is NOx emissions, if I remember right, hard to manage with 2-strokes although techniques like variable exhaust port heights (varying effective compression ratio) help, and work is ongoing.

Toyota - Two stroke cars. - jc2

Another problem is the lubrication of the moving parts without the oil getting to the combustion process-a California firm was working on an engine where the crankcase was separated from the combustion chambers-this appears similar to the Evinrude E-TEC-whether this technology could be reliably tranferred to motor vehicle engines at a reasonable cost is another matter.Intererestingly,Evinrude are owned by Bombardier Group and Orbital technology is used on Mercury Outboards.

Edited by jc2 on 25/01/2012 at 16:26

Toyota - Two stroke cars. - unthrottled

Marine engines are subject to much laxer emission controls than highway engines. It is not possible to run a two stroke in closed loop in conjunction with a 3 way catalytic converter-which rules out its use in petrol engines.

The critical acclaim is mainly from the companies' press offices!

Diesel engines?

The only company making high speed two strokes is Detroit Deisel-and they've spent twenty years desperately trying to get out of the two-stroke business. They know more about two strokes than anyone else-and the fact that they're not interested should tell you something...

Detroits were horrendously noisy, had a narrow rev range, slobbered oil and had worse emissions than a four stroke. The kicker was that weren't as fuel efficient as 4 strokes either. Absolutely no reason to revisit the concept.

Once turbocharging and high pressure injection allowed 4 strokes to reach the same power levels as two strokes-the detroit was dead.

The 2 stroke has one major advantage: because it fires twice as frequently as a 4 stroke, the torque delivery is smoother and it imposes less stress on the clutch and drivetrain. But the list of negatives is just too long.

Toyota - Two stroke cars. - craig-pd130

Yep, it's a shame because a stroker just feels so ... alive. Especially triples, their power characteristics are bewitching.

I've only ever owned 2-stroke bikes, with one exception. To me, they're just more fun to ride.

The exception was a 1968 TR6 650, which actually used more oil that my Suzuki GT250 did :)

Toyota - Two stroke cars. - focussed

Evinrude have had and are still having major problems with their engines and was a major factor in causing them to go bust the last time before Bombardier took them over-they are so finicky that the spark plugs have to be indexed -ie the earth electrode has to face a certain way in the combustion chamber-there is no earthly reason why anyone should buy an engine of this type-if you want a decent outboard, buy a Honda or Suzuki four stroke.

Quite.

Even with direct injection, you can't get round the 'four stroking' problem when the throttle is closed. Some people just won't let go of two smokes.

Toyota - Two stroke cars. - bathtub tom

>>Yep, it's a shame because a stroker just feels so ... alive. Especially triples, their power characteristics are bewitching.

Who can ever forget those Wartburgs?

;>)

I prefer detroit diesels myself but I see what you mean! I just don't understand why companies spend time trying to bring them up to 4 stroke standards since the task is impossible.

Best remembered fondly.