KIA Rio - 2012 Kia Rio Ecodynamics anyone? - mark45

Well I've been mooting the idea of getting a new car, probably looking to replace by September/October time or so (like to plan in advance) although I'm not quite sure yet, as it is not neccessary but would be more convenient I would say in terms of car sharing/deadlines etc.

I have shortlisted the Kia Rio mostly because of the low running costs in terms of initial expense and high mpg for the 1.1 diesel ecodynamics.

I wanted to know if any one had any experience with these cars and what the real life mpg would be and what your thoughts are on this car? Good or bad, please share.

KIA Rio - 2012 Kia Rio Ecodynamics anyone? - MikeTorque

Yes I driven the Kia Rio 1.1 CRDi a few times. It was 2 spec. on 16" standard alloy rims. The 3 cylinder diesel engine is the best small diesel out there right now, smooth, quiet and amazing torque even at lows revs (VW need to take note and fix their gruff 1.2 TDI 3 cylinder). The driving position I found was spot on with plenty of adjustment, the cockpit is a really nice place to sit and all the dials, switches etc. functioning well and were clear. The steering is fairly light and doesn't offer much feedback but there is plenty of feedback from the road but not always the type you want (see below).

Mucking about on various runs with mixed driving the mpg was around 63, in urban traffic it was higher, the engine loves lows revs and sips little fuel in the process. Settle down on an A road and 75 mpg is easily within reach. With 6 gears available there is always the right gear available and the gearbox is slick and easy to use.

The all round disc brakes were superb, stopped the car quickly and exactly where you wanted it. The door mirrors offer good visibility.

Now the downsides. The ride is hard over rough roads, the 16" rims have low profile tyres and the spring settings don't offer enough travel, hit a rut in the road and it feels like the car hits the bump stop, smooth roads are fine, potholes can be felt too much. The 15" wheels in the 1 spec. do offer a more comfortable ride, the tyres have a higher profile tyre wall and they help absorb rough roads better.

The most serious concern I have is the view out of the rear of the car, it's terrible, the rear window is set too high and the C-pillars have huge blind spots which makes reversing a serious problem. Kia should have designed the rear window to run lower across the rear hatch area and either added a C-pillar glass area or redesigned the C-pillar to aid rear visibility.

The windscreen blower took several minutes to clear a lightly misted screen, even with the air con on, it should have done better.

I also found my left foot would catch when bringing up the clutch pedal, especially noticable when parking, there's not enough foot clearance in the footwell.

Hope that helps.

Edited by MikeTorque on 21/01/2012 at 23:05

Thanks for the write up, I appreciate it. This car seems worth looking into more despite the disappointments regarding demisting and potholes but hopefully the '1' will be a good car to test in my case because of the 15" wheels.

There are some things I would like to clarify however if you (or anyone else for that matter) don't mind regarding to steering, rear view and clutch.

Firstly, you mentioned the steering 'doesn't offer much feedback.' I am really sorry and have only driven one car (Nissan Micra) so have nothing to compare it to. For me, this seems very dangerous but I am not sure what you mean? Do you mean for example that the slightest movement in the steering wheel results in a disproportionate steer in other words more steer than what it seems?

Secondly, regarding to rear view does not seem to be a dealbreaker in my case since I rarely go to town or have a need for complicated parking procedures - only bay parking. However, in your opinion do you feel that a parking sensor is needed or that it is unsafe for general reversing?

Lastly, I am not sure what you mean by your left foot 'would catch when bringing up the clutch pedal' - I apologize I've never heard this expression before plus I have never driven a diesel before if it relates to that.

Thanks again.

The steering doesn't communicate much information of what's going on between the tyres and the road. This isn't a problem for many drivers but personally I prefer some communication (but not too much) with the road as it provides information of road conditions and enhances the driving experience.

I considered if parking sensors would help with the rear visibility issue. They would help detect objects that couldn't be seen, but personally I find there are too large a chucks of areas behind the C-pillars & hatch that were invisible, so much so that a child would not be visible and even with parking sensors fitted a mobile child could be undetected and hit before braking action could be taken.

The footwell area on numerous cars have panels, steering, clutch and brake components, depending on design sometimes I find the end of my shoes can catch. When using the clutch a foot has a tendency to move slightly whilst maneuvering and that can cause contact with something. It doesn't affect every driver, much depends on how the driver uses the clutch, what size shoes they wear etc.

The important thing is to take a good long test drive in the Rio in the spec you require. If you like the car and reckon you can live with it then choose a colour you like and place an order. It's worth getting a feel for what discounts are available on the Rio so you can haggle a deal before buying, also if trading-in then ensure you know what your car is worth. Cost to change is the bottom line.

KIA Rio - 2012 Kia Rio Ecodynamics anyone? - ChannelZ

To be brutally honest, Mark, if you're used to driving a Micra, anything made in the last 10 years is going to be infinitely better.

I think "steering feel" is overrated unless you're a wannabe racing driver. We've two cars in the household, and I drive lots of other cars during my day job. I own a Mk3 Mondeo, and drive a Mk2.5 Focus during the day, both of which are considered to be up there amongst the best handling "normal" cars, with unequalled steering feedback.

The other car is an i30, which is considered to have vague, wooly steering. You know what? Within a mile of driving the i30 I'm used to the difference in the steering, and it goes round corners just fine. OK, you can't feel every little ripple and bump on the road through the steering wheel like the Mondeo or Focus, but it'll still hit the apex on roundabout exits. When the missus drives the Mondeo, the only comment she has is the hydraulic power assistance on the Mondeo is heavier than the electrically powered assistance on the i30. Again, she's perfectly fine within a mile or so. She does grumble about the Mondeo's heavy brake and clutch pedals compared to the i30, though.

As for wheel sizes on Korean cars, I agree that you should go for the 15" wheels. The i30 we have (2010 1.4 Comfort) is on 15" rims with 185-65/15 tyres, and to be honest it's bordering on crashy on potholes. I don't think I'd find the ride acceptable on 16" wheels at all. I can only assume the Rio would be the same as the i30 in this regard. Also it's only about £50 for a premium tyre on the 15" rims compared to around £80 for a similar tyre on the 16" rims.

KIA Rio - 2012 Kia Rio Ecodynamics anyone? - colinh

This is a big failing of Kia/Hyundai cars - no flexibility of options - "if you can this, you get that" - this being a reasonably-kitted interior, that being low-profile wheels with a bad ride. One assumes it is done to simplify their production.

KIA Rio - 2012 Kia Rio Ecodynamics anyone? - thunderbird

We have a Ceed 3, came as standard with 17" wheels fitted with 45 profile tyres absolutely fine on the road, no different to Ford it replaced. Its not crashy in any way. That said we have since bought a set of 16" wheels to which we have fitted 55 profile winter tyres and in all honestly the ride is slightly better but its not a huge difference. Our Ceed is post facelift and they are said to have improved the ride on these later cars.

Edited by thunderbird on 23/01/2012 at 16:38

KIA Rio - 2012 Kia Rio Ecodynamics anyone? - Talking Hoarse

The other car is an i30, which is considered to have vague, wooly steering. You know what? Within a mile of driving the i30 I'm used to the difference in the steering, and it goes round corners just fine. OK, you can't feel every little ripple and bump on the road through the steering wheel like the Mondeo or Focus, but it'll still hit the apex on roundabout exits. When the missus drives the Mondeo, the only comment she has is the hydraulic power assistance on the Mondeo is heavier than the electrically powered assistance on the i30. Again, she's perfectly fine within a mile or so. She does grumble about the Mondeo's heavy brake and clutch pedals compared to the i30, though.

As for wheel sizes on Korean cars, I agree that you should go for the 15" wheels. The i30 we have (2010 1.4 Comfort) is on 15" rims with 185-65/15 tyres, and to be honest it's bordering on crashy on potholes. I don't think I'd find the ride acceptable on 16" wheels at all. I can only assume the Rio would be the same as the i30 in this regard. Also it's only about £50 for a premium tyre on the 15" rims compared to around £80 for a similar tyre on the 16" rims.

Agree with your comments about the i30 - although mine feels very agile and pointy to me after a Vectra B! Any crashing noises (from front suspension?) that appear (especially in cold weather?) on your i30 may be some seals /covers on front struts misplaced - I think there is a bulletin & a dealer warranty fix. My own i30 has 16" wheels - but I use 15" (195/65) wheels on it with winter tyres at the moment. There is little difference in ride quality if I compare the 2. And yes - the wider 16" tyres hang on better in summer, but the Michelin Alpins are absolutely supreme in cold weather & especially snow.

Agree with your comments about the i30 - although mine feels very agile and pointy to me after a Vectra B! Any crashing noises (from front suspension?) that appear (especially in cold weather?) on your i30 may be some seals /covers on front struts misplaced - I think there is a bulletin & a dealer warranty fix.

We had the recall, that was the ARB links and bushes, and the rear bump stops.

I still think the car doesn't cope with ruts and manhole covers anywhere near as well as a Focus or Astra. Too stiffly sprung in my opinion. But, that's my opinion, and I guess it's to do with what you're used to.

KIA Rio - 2012 Kia Rio Ecodynamics anyone? - TeeCee

If the ones I have had as temporary vehicles on fleet over the years were anything to go by, a blancmange would feel "agile and pointy" after a Vectra.

The exception here was a rental I got of one of the last Vectras ever turned out, the Insignia was already shipping in numbers. Finally, but too late, GM got the suspension and handling dead right.

Worst was a mid-production 2.2 "C" model Estate. The only car I've ever thought of as female, 'cos it was so ruddy vague and indecisive about which way it wanted to go next. It had an enormous backside too.......;-)

KIA Rio - 2012 Kia Rio Ecodynamics anyone? - jamie745

The 3 cylinder diesel engine is the best small diesel out there right now

Yes but thats like being the most attractive man in Royston Vasey.

KIA Rio - 2012 Kia Rio Ecodynamics anyone? - unthrottled

+1

Thanks guys. This message is just to keep you updated and to show my appreciation for the comments and replies you have made.

I saw my first Kia Rio spot on the road in 'real life' when I was in Bedford the other day and swung round the roundabout because it was going the other way. However did not catch up to it but the few seconds I saw it I thought it looked really nice. Very distinctive front. That reminded me of this topic I started.

Whilst I did read it the month previous I and of course appreciated the feedback I thought I would owe it to you guys for me to relpy. Firstly to say thank you for the feedback and give an update.

So far what I have learnt is to take a test drive. I have a route in mind and a dealer I would be interested travelling to to try it out since it is on my usual route and also I would like to drive it there and back and see what I feel like. I guess this would be the best way to do it to know if I can get along since it is an almost daily thing. Now unfortunately it seems these Kia Rio '1' 1.1 ecodynamics are apparently in short supply. Reading on other forums, they are possibly only going to be made from July. I thought I would like to test the one I am interested in i.e. the '1' 1.1 CRDI rather than the '2' which seem to have more stock, besides as I said I am not looking to purchase right now anyway, in a few months.

Now I wanted to ask, do you think it is possible to have some slight modifications to the trim levels. e.g. can I ask/pay extra for items available in the '2' and have them fitted in? For example, I would prefer the LED mirror indicator lights and arm rest (which are not available in the '1') Or are these the set levels only? Sorry to ask, have not really asked for such customization like this before.

Good luck, KIA and Hyundai are the "we build 10,000 of this spec, then 10,000 of the other spec, park 'em in a field until someone buys one" sort of manufacturer, very much like Zanussi or Hotpoint. :)

I really doubt you'd get them to build to spec, and if you did I recon you'd have a VERY long wait.

KIA Rio - 2012 Kia Rio Ecodynamics anyone? - diddy1234

I doubt that.

Mine was delivered to me within a week of arriving in the uk.

I checked with Kia and it was made one month before being shipped to the UK.

If they were to sit in a field somehwere, id rather it be in South Korea than the UK.

I doubt that.

Mine was delivered to me within a week of arriving in the uk.

I checked with Kia and it was made one month before being shipped to the UK.

If they were to sit in a field somehwere, id rather it be in South Korea than the UK.

What? Did I say anything about where the field was?

KIA Rio - 2012 Kia Rio Ecodynamics anyone? - Happy Blue!

The equipment differences between grades cannot always be obtained by buying a lowere grade and adding on the things you want. You can with various hi-spec european cars, but unlikely with Japanese or Korean irrespective of where built.

Generally, you do not want to do what you suggest as the depreciation hit will be enormous. People will still view it as a Rio 1 and ignore the money you paid for the extras. Buy a Rio 2 with those extra's as standard and you suffer a msaller hit.

If you want the smaller wheels and bigger tyres of the Rio 1, then buy a set of wheels and tyres for the 1 and swap over onto the 2. Tell you insurance company. As there will be no power or weight difference between the cars, there is no reason why you cannot do this.

Thanks everyone.

I was considering what you and others had said, just sticking to the standard trim levels.

However I wanted to check something in case I make a mistake.

If I were to buy this car with the intention to keep it for a very long time - as long as possible (such as the Micra currently, bought new from 2002 and will still be used in the family). And if the options can be obtained then would it make in my circumstances (i.e. not specifically for re-sale value) then would it make more sense to purchase the options that I want on the [url=http://www.kia.co.uk/new-cars/range/compact-cars/new-rio/accessories.aspx]accessories list[/url] without me buying a more higher trim level.

It would save me money, in the extra stuff that I did not specify and the higher insurance cost for the '3' (bigger engine, no 1.1 available). For example, I wanted rear sensors (which are only standard in '3') and cruise control (also only standard in '3')?

These can be obtained at an extra cost of £568.30 + £133.99 = £702.29 rather than me having to spend an extra £2,670 on the '3' from '1 'and compromise fuel economy (70.6 vs 88.3),

Although the increase would have been an extra £979 from '2' to '3'. If I were considering a '2' then upgrading to '3' would have made sense. But since I am interested in '1' then adding these options is justifiable?

Sure is justifiable, if you want the options then fit them I know I would. However, rear parking sensors can be fitted for between £199 to £250 if you choose something like the XVision parking system. Never mind depreciation, in 10 years time it won't make any difference anyway.

Well I guess one good thing about needing a new car in the long term is to see what new developments there are and competition.

After some consideration, and upon discovery of the Hyundai i20 facelift including the introduction of the same Kia 1.1ltr CRDi 88mpg engines into these cars and hopefully at a lower price than the Rio is a worthy contender!