any - bangernomics and new mot - barney100

With this new mot looming will bangernomics survive? I've managed to run old 'uns for years but with airbags and esp etc etc apparently to be targeted maybe my days are numbered! which cars do you think best to avoid huge mot bills in the future. apparently car and component manafacturers lobby the wonderful eec to stiifen up mots to ensure our safety,,,,,,,,,not of course to increase their profits.I want a petrol car with steel wheels, mimmum airbags, no esp or the like with some degree of comfort for me bad back.

any - bangernomics and new mot - gordonbennet

Volvo 740/940 then or one of the few 240's still for sale, get a good low mileage well cared for example, have it LPG'd, and enjoy cheap easy DIY motoring for many years.

Another good bet would be Toyota Camry, it will have a lot of electrics and all the bits you don't want but the bits will continue operating for many years....have a look at ebay number 170749300748, if i was in the market for another car i'd be round there like a shot.

any - bangernomics and new mot - unthrottled

Barney-I agree 100% with your sentiments. I don't need any electronic carp to keep my car under control and don't see why I should be coerced into having it.

I'm worried about the next MOT because I removed the airbag warning LED a couple of years back. Airbags weren't mandatory when the car was registered, so why should the car be condemned for a non-critical feature that it was never obliged to have in the first place?!

any - bangernomics and new mot - jamie745

Slavery was legal when my slave was born so why can i not use him now?!

Come off it Jamie. For the most part, cars are tested to the standards of the day. For example a 1988 Fiesta doesn't have to meet Euro V emissions levels. If it is legal for an old car to not have seat belts, why should mine be condemned for a non functional air bag light, when it wasn't required? I wouldn't mind if I was permitted to remove the entire b***** assembly!

any - bangernomics and new mot - jamie745

For the most part, cars are tested to the standards of the day. For example a 1988 Fiesta doesn't have to meet Euro V emissions levels.

True however there are areas such as the LEZ in London where you can only use a Euro V van or some such in. You pulling up in a 1997 Transit saying 'the LEZ didnt exist when the van was built!' wont gain you entry.

However i think you're actually onto something with the example about the Fiesta and Euro V emissions levels. If they could go round and scrap all old cars they probably would, but they cant. So the next most effective thing they can do is to ensure bangernomics doesnt make sense financially and essentially force them off the road by inventing rules which will result in the banger's demise.

They cant force your car to meet Euro V rules, but they can make owning it more inconvenient to eventually force you into a Euro V car.

True.