Ford Ka - Can you help me value this please - Hugo {P}

Hi, long time no see! I've been spending my tine on Land Rover forums now that I have a Discovery Series 2. Hope you are all well?

I may soon have the task of disposing of a Ford Ka 1.3

It's a base model, no flashy trim and I think it has keep fit windows - anyone remember those? lol

It is a year 2002 and has some 27000 miles on the clock and a full dealer service history.

Selling privately or looking at offloading it to a dealer, what price could I reasonably expect to get for it please?

I am also thinking of making an offer myself, so views would be helpful please

Thanks

Ford Ka - Can you help me value this please - Avant

Welcome back Hugo! Very good to hear from you, and I hope the Discovery is going well.

The best place to look is on Autotrader, and you can specify make and model and see what comparable Kas are going for. Watch out for rust, and also make sure the sparking plugs aren't rusted in: but if the body condition is good and the engine isn't clapped out by short journeys (it'll make a tappety noise worthy of a diesel if it is), it could serve uu well alongside the Disco as Kas are a hoot to drive - particularly good for Cornish lanes if you still live there.

Thanks for the welcome!

The Disco is serving me quite well at the moment, save the engine imploding on me in April of last year! I was fortunate to find one of the last TD5 engines that were ever made and fitted into a low mileage 2006 defender. I am selling bits of the old one to try to recover some of the cost. So the engine is 3 years newer than the rest of the vehicle.

The problem with Auto trader in my experience is it is a poor guide to what cars actually sell for, plus most of those prices are dealer prices. many of them do seem over priced and most of the ones there are traders who will put theirs up for quite a bit more

I got one answer when just musing insurances. One of the sites gave me an option to assess the value of the car. It listed the forecourt price of £1500 or so, Private sale at around £695, trade in at £595 and auction at £495.Those I guess would be for average mileage, but this one has done rather less.

As I don't have a fourcourt the £1500 price doesn't really apply to me either to buy or sell.

The other problem is that I can only spend so much time trying to sell it and deal with no shows, tyre kickers etc. Selling to a dealer who will give me a wad of cash is tempting but I suspect I won't get a huge payout.

The last time I had to do this I simply took the car to a franchise dealership (it was about 5 years old at the time) and got the sales guy to make me an offer based on its condition. I ended up buying that one from the estate and paid marginally above what the dealer offered me for it (acting as executor). That was £2000 for a 5 year old Almera. The dealer offered me £1850 and suggested I could get about £2150 selling privately.

I may end up doing something similar with this one. That way the person I'm selling it for (elderly relative who can't drive anymore) may get slightly less for it but I'm not flogging myself silly for what could only be a hundred odd quid more.

But, any dealers etc out there would be welcome to give me an idea of a realistic price for a private sale please.

Ford Ka - Can you help me value this please - nick1975
If it's noted and taxed it's worth a oner
Ford Ka - Can you help me value this please - tony g
Hi Hugo
Sorry to say the ka is old school now,they don't bring a great deal,

Does it have much rust in the rear wheel arches ,and around the filler cap ,that's were they tend to go.

If it's not rusted and it has a new MOT, it would sell for a thousand on auto trader.it should appeal to a first time buyer,or for use as a family runabout.

I sell cars for a living and have tried all the different ways to sell.
Auto trader internet is the most effective ,and unfortunately it's also the most expensive.

Good luck.

Tony g

Edited by tony g on 05/01/2012 at 23:23

To be fair that would be a pretty good price. It was bought for around £5k when new in 2002. I remember it being bought.

Is that £1k a private or forecourt price in your opinion? If it's the latter what would be the private price please?

I suspect the MOT is due in August, as that is when the car was registered. I've got the V5 here but not anything else.

I am thinking of buying it myself if poss. I have a couple of children of driving age to get through their tests and the insurance is quite reasonable if put in my name with them as additional drivers.

I guess I would have to offset the costs of selling it against the expected price. That would probably include a valet, although it's quite clean, a new MOT, advert and not forgetting the costs of insuring it for other people to drive - an issue that traders don't have as they have their trade insurance.

If I were to sell it for the £1k I would probably have to outlay some £150 to do so, and that's assuming I don't have to do too much about insuring it to be driven by random tyre kickers. That would leave me £850.

I'm pretty sure the wheel arches are OK. It has been garaged every night since new, and the garage is in a block and is quite old and drafty but importantly, dry. Hence no damp but plenty of air circulation.

Thankyou very much for your reply.

Edited by Hugo {P} on 06/01/2012 at 00:38

Ford Ka - Can you help me value this please - primeradriver

Popular cars. £1000 shouldn't be an issue if in good condition. They sell on ebay auctions with many more miles for £800 so that is rock-bottom rate.