1996 Volvo 850tdi estate - Engine management system - Ercol

The engine occasionally misfires which can be followed by engine shut-down,all dashboard lights blazing and no power steering or brake servo.After pulling over and waiting for a few minutes engine can be re-started to resume journey as if nothing had happened! My local Volvo garage is unable to find the problem so have gone to a Bosch service centre.Despite their best efforts,a replacement electronic diesel pump and new crank sensor the problem persists. The car has travelled over 122,000 miles ,has been Volvo maintained regularly and otherwise goes well. The Bosch workshop suspects the wiring or the Control Unit but the former is encased and difficult to trace and check and the latter could I fear be an expensive item to diagnose,repair or replace. Any ideas please.......(I am getting to hear about similar problems with other cars,both diesel and petrol and of all ages - is it something to do with the additional sun-spot activity up there?)

1996 Volvo 850tdi estate - Engine management system - injection doc

I seem to remeber these have a pre-pump in the tank driven by a relay. Volvo's in their early years had problems with the relays overheating and shutting down. Once they cool they would restart no problem. There were never any fault codes recorded flagged when this occured