Ford Focus mk2 - quiet comfortable tyres - MikeTorque

It's time to fit some new tyres.

Currently have Bridgestone ER30 205/55/16 91V tyres which came with the car. They are noisy over rough road surfaces and tend to go with a bang over rough patches or indentations otherwise they ride reasonably quiet over other road surfaces, they wear well. On wet roads they feel like they are on tiny marbles on sharper bends as I can feel the car slightly moving off line which doesn't inspire much confidence in wet conditions although they are still controllable.

So we're looking for something that is quieter and more comfortable.
We've tried Michelins Primacy HPs, they lose traction quickly on wet roads and squeal on roundabouts in dry conditions even at nominal speeds, not the most comfortable or quiet of tyres.

Have tried Goodyear Excellence on a Focus mk2, they were a good all round tyre, plenty of grip in wet & dry weather, quiet and comfortable as well.

What tyres have you found offer similar characteristics to the above Goodyear Excellence tyres which you would recommend? Thanks.

Edited by MikeTorque on 30/12/2011 at 14:52

Ford Focus mk2 - quiet comfortable tyres - gordonbennet

I've done a lot of online research on this very subject to lessen the road noise transmitted through my ageing Benz, but still retaining good grip.

One particular tyre stands out and that is Nokian Z G2, which may not be available in your size but its sister Nokian Z might, high quality Finnish made tyres not cheap, i have a set of their excellent winter tyres on my car at this very moment.

Slightly cheaper but scores well is Hankook S1 EVO, well regarded in Euro tyre tests.

In lower budgets Uniroyal Rain Expert and Rainsport seem to be well regarded for noise despite the directional pattern and are excellent wet weather and all round tyres too.

In lower budgets still Federal Formoza FD2 seems to fit the bill too, indeed i'm almost tempted to try a set just for the hell of it, my current summer tyres Toyo T1R have been sure footed in all summer conditions but the noise and harsh ride have worn me down.

Edited by gordonbennet on 30/12/2011 at 15:11

Ford Focus mk2 - quiet comfortable tyres - injection doc

This time we fitted a set of four Hankook's at the advice of our local dealership and I have to say the ride is much improved & road noise is considerably quieter !

Actually very impressed and would buy them again, I had previously been replacing the fronts every 9000 miles with Continentals but the Hanooks are even lasting longer as well

Ford Focus mk2 - quiet comfortable tyres - thunderbird

Ours came with Conti Sport Contact, very noisy. replaced with Pirelli P7, just as noisy. Replaced those with Khumo KU31, brilliant, made it a better car, reasonably priced too. On present car originally had Hankook 415's, brilliant and again cheap.

Ford Focus mk2 - quiet comfortable tyres - ed81

I previously used Hankook S1 Evo on all 4 corners on my Focus. Whilst the tyre were long lasting, I found them to be very noisy. These were replaced with Kumho KU31 and I can say they are much quieter and just as good in wet weather if not better.

Edited by ed81 on 01/01/2012 at 18:23

Ford Focus mk2 - quiet comfortable tyres - Pete Mansell

My MK2 Focus originally came on Pirellis, which were unnacceptably noisy. The Michelin Energy's now fitted are an improvement - but still not as quiet as Michelins on a previous MK1 Focus. Road noise seems to have got a lot worse from the MK1 to MK2.

Interesting answers provided so far. The Focus mk2 has wider tyres than the mk1 so that could be why road noise is more noticable.

I've had a look into Hankooks, what were the Hankooks tyre names for the tyres mentioned above ? Much road noise ? Comfortable over rough road surfaces ?

The Hankook S1 EVO seems to suffer from road noise so that's not so good for a noise sensitive Focus.

The Uniroyal RainExpert and Uniroyal Rainsport 2 both sound interesting as they are comfortable and quiet and do well in dry & wet alike, not so good for going hard round corners due to their softer tyre wall but I can live with that. Does anyone have either of these tyres on their Focus mk2 and if so what are their road noise transmission levels ?

The Khumo KU31, is that the same as the Kumho Ecsta KU31 tyre ?
What are its road noise transmission levels ?

Are there any other tyres people can recommend that have low road noise transmission and offer a comfortable ride ? Thanks.

The Khumo is the Ecsta KU31, road noise was low on our Focus.

Hankook Optimo K415, road noise was low on our Ceed.

The Hankook was also pretty good in last winters snow, never tried the Khumo but the tread pattern never looked like it would be much good in snowy conditions.

Ford Focus mk2 - quiet comfortable tyres - corax

It might also have something to do with the level of soundproofing. What model of Focus do you have, as the Ghia is supposed to be a lot better in this respect.

Many people complain about the road noise in the Octavia. A good layer of soundproofing felt in the boot floor is supposed to improve it.

Many people complain about the road noise in the Octavia. A good layer of soundproofing felt in the boot floor is supposed to improve it.

One of the cars we tried when we replaced the Focus was the Octavia. Had the Khumo Ecsta KU31 on the Focus at the time and on the same piece of newly surfaced motorway we had just driven on to the garage the Octavia was unbeliveable, the noise was painful, never heard anything like it. Back at the dealer we noted the car was on 15" Dunlops. He then offered us a drive in a better model with 16" Bridgestones fitted, the car was completly different, almost bought it. Don't think any amount of soundproofing in the boot of the first one would have helped since most noise appeared to be coming from the front.

Edited by thunderbird on 02/01/2012 at 14:01

The standard sound insulation is the same irrespective of the model, although some dealers will tell you otherwise. Sound insulation was improved when the mk2 was updated in 2008 but road noise is still an issue with some tyres which is especially noticable coming from the front tyres. A Titanium hatch has the same sound insulation as a Zetec, Style etc.

The exception to this is the updated Focus Estate 2008 onwards has a thicker layer of insulation carpet on the floor of the boot, this both improves durability for loading/unloading purposes and helps reduce rear end road noise.

What were the Bridgestones called that you tried thunderbird ?

Edited by MikeTorque on 02/01/2012 at 14:16

Has anyone got anymore suggestions or information to add ? Thanks.

Ford Focus mk2 - quiet comfortable tyres - Auristocrat

Extract from the latest Which? test on summer tyres:

Tyre test results

205/55 R16W summer tyres Price Availability Test score Continental PremiumContact 2 £93 Fair 69% Uniroyal RainSport 2 £86 Good 68% Michelin Primacy HP £103 Good 68% Bridgestone Turanza ER300 £100 Good 67% Nokian Z G2 £85 Poor 67% Firestone TZ300 a £82 Good 66% Dunlop SP Sport Fastresponse £88 Good 63% Semperit Speed-Life £84 Poor 60% Kumho Ecsta HM KH31 £92 Poor 60% Hankook Ventus Prime K105 £95 Poor 52% Avon ZV5 £84 Good 51% Best Buys

This is one of the most popular sizes in the market, so there's good incentive for tyre makers to do well here. Consequently, no fewer than five tyres this size were good enough to make the Best Buy grade. All offer balanced performance across all conditions and are class-leaders in some aspects of the test.

Continental Conti PremiumContact 2 Average price £93 Which? test score 69%

The Continental PremiumContact2 offers first-rate handling on dry roads, good wet and dry braking and good resistance to aquaplaning in bends and on straight roads.

It’s around average for noise, so motorway cruising at speed shouldn’t be too much of a strain.

Uniroyal RainSport 2 Average price £86 Which? test score 68%

This tyre has good all-round grip, and handling, whether it's in wet or dry conditions, on the straight and in bends.

It offers good value for money in terms of purchase price, compared with many direct competitors and it's widely available. However, it can't match the best on test for wear. The Uniroyal brand is owned in Europe by Continental.

Michelin Primacy HP Average price £103 Which? test score 68%

The Michelin Primacy HP is very well-balanced, providing excellent handling on dry roads, good wet and dry braking, and reasonable wet grip in bends and on straight roads. It’s around average for noise, and rolling resistance is slightly lower than most, so it should give reasonable fuel consumption.

It costs a bit more than competitor tyres, but given its class-leading wear rating and competitive rolling resistance, it may be worth the premium. And it shouldn't be hard to find as most outlets we checked stock it.

Bridgestone Turanza ER300 Average price £100 Which? test score 67%

The Turanza ER300 performs well in dry conditions. Wet grip is good on the straight and acceptable in bends, and although wet braking is not exceptional, it’s still OK.

Noise and rolling resistance are around average, so motorway cruising should be reasonably quiet and economical. It’s widely available.

Nokian Z G2 Average price £85 Which? test score 67%

The Nokian Z G2 is a very well-balanced tyre that offers first-rate handling on dry roads, good wet and dry braking, and good resistance to aquaplaning in bends and on straight roads.

It’s around average for noise and rolling resistance. When we checked, the price we found was competitive, but availability was quite limited.

Edited by Auristocrat on 04/01/2012 at 13:35

Ford Focus mk2 - quiet comfortable tyres - ChannelZ

Our fleet Focii run 205-55/16 tyres, and they were supplied with Goodyear NCT5 tyres. Most have had the Goodyear EfficientGrip fitted to replace the NCT5, and to be honest they're a step backwards.

I notice at least one car has had Uniroyal RainExpert fitted - they're quieter than both the Goodyears, far better grip if you can get past the "squishy" feeling. If you trust the grip and let the car move about on the Uniroyals, they far outperform the Goodyears.

Personally, I like the Hankook Ventus Prime on my Mondeo on the same size.

I did have Bridgestones (ER300) on at one time, they wore quickly and were quite noisy. Wet weather performance dropped significantly when the tread got below 4mm on them too.

No idea what the Bridgestones were, only drove the car for about 30 minutes.

Ford Focus mk2 - quiet comfortable tyres - ChannelZ

Octavias come factory fitted with ER300 Bridgestones on 16" wheels, Dunlop SP Sport 01 on 15" wheels.

Tyres are wearing out again, high mileage and rough roads has eaten away at them.

Has anyone tried Continental PremiumContact 5 tyres and if so what do you think of them ?
Are they more comfortable and generally improved compared with the PremiumContact 2 tyre ?

Ford Focus mk2 - quiet comfortable tyres - 72 dudes

I have been searching around for some front tyres for my 2007 Volvo S40 2.0D (same basic chassis as Focus). 205/50/17 89W My priorities are also comfort and low noise above outright grip and longevity I have pretty much decided that Avon ZV5 will be right for me: £104 per tyre when bought through blackcircles.com. My second choice would nave been Uniroyal Rainsport and a budget option Barum Bravuris 2 (which get very good reviews and cost £83 each for my size). Have a look at tyretest.co.uk for more information. The Continentals will be noisier than any of the above. Goodyear are also known to be fairly quiet. The problem is that if you like comfort and low noise, this means a softer rubber compound, which will wear out quicker than Michelin/Continental/Pirelli etc. On my last car I swapped worn Michelin Pilots for Goodyears (Excellence I think) and noise and comfort were improved.

Edited by 72 dudes on 04/07/2012 at 15:53

I'm currently using Goodyear Excellence tyres, quieter than Michelins but not so long lasting. With many of UK A & B road surfaces currently being top dressed with tar & grit the noise infiltration into the car is horrendous at times on freshly gritted roads, plus the Goodyears don't seem to soak up sharp/sudden bumps at all well instead a thump/jolt is transmitted through the car. Tyres pressures are spot on so I've ruled that out, grip on dry & wet roads is predictably safe & fuel economy is good.

This current set of Excellence tyres seem different to a previous set of Excellence tyres I had whereby they felt less comfortable from the start and transmitted more noise into the cable. Was the formula changed for the Excellence tyres at any time does any know ?

What I'm looking for is a tyre that is quieter and more comfortable than a Goodyear Excellence. Does the Uniroyal Rainsport or Rainexpert or another tyre beat it ?

Ford Focus mk2 - quiet comfortable tyres - RT

It may depend where the Goodyear Excellence were made - the Chinese-made ones are like chocolate !

According to the tyre walls they were made in France.

Ford Focus mk2 - quiet comfortable tyres - ifekas

What I'm looking for is a tyre that is quieter and more comfortable than a Goodyear Excellence. Does the Uniroyal Rainsport or Rainexpert or another tyre beat it ?

I've not used the Goodyear Excellence, but I had Uniroyal Rainexpert tyres previously, and while they were ok, I also wanted quiet tyres; after doing some research I decided on getting Michelin Pilot Sport 3. I find them quieter and better than the Uniroyals and worth the extra money... but if you find Goodyears quieter than Michelins you may be best sticking with them.

When you used Michelins, did you have the cheaper Michelin energy saver tyres which may have a harder compound which may make them noisier, or Pilot/Pilot Exalto?

Ford Focus mk2 - quiet comfortable tyres - Bobbin Threadbare

I've got Uniroyal Rains on my MX-5. They've got the chance to really prove themselves in this weather! I don't know if they're quieter or not, than other marques of tyre.

Looking at mytyres.co.uk, the Goodyear Excellence is no longer listed but the Optigrip and Efficientgrip have an internal noise score of 2.3/5 (with the lower the number the lower the noise.

Uniroyal Rainsport 2.4, slightly noisier

Avon ZV5 2.1 slightly quieter.

ifekas - they were Michelins Primacy HP. I haven't tried the Michelin Pilot Sport 3, however I notice mytyres->tyretest.com show internal noise 1.8, external noise 1.9, better than the Goodyears so it looks like a definate possibility and reasonably priced as well. I noticed the Michelin Primacy HP is shown with internal noise 2.0 external noise 2.1 which is slightly better than the Goodyear Excellence, strange as on the Focus they sound slightly more noisier and definately not as comfortable.

72 dudes - I've read the Goodyear Optigrip and Efficientgrip tyres are a little bit noisier than some tyres, how have you found them ?
mytyres are now showing the Goodyear Excellence tyres, maybe they had just run out of stock when you checked, now restocked and available to buy, mytyres->tyretest.com show internal noise 2.2, external noise 2.3.

Sorry, I have no experience of the Optigrip or the Efficientgrip.

Mine were Excellence and seemed quieter than the Primacies I had on previously and definitely felt 'softer'. Same as your experience.
Ford Focus mk2 - quiet comfortable tyres - willow

I have tried a few different makes of tyre but the one that suits my Focus above all the rest are the Dunlop SP Sport Fast Response, not the Blu Resonse, these are very hard and uncomfortable tyres, stay well clear, I speak from experience.