USED - Cars @TESCO - oldroverboy

Just looked on the "Everylttlehelps" website and found an insignia, 2008/58. 32000 miles at what looked a reasonable price, but then read the terms and conditions, last service at 23000 :LAST feb, So called out of curiosity One month RAC premium warranty, what about soga? Oh, you can extend the warranty but all breakdown costs excluded.. and will the car be serviced at a main dealer before delivery, we'll find out and let you know.. OK. I'll think about it, And in one of the dailys they are alledgedly selling 2000+ vehicles a a month.

You can't see the car till you have bought it... and i would never do that for a 3 yr old car, (will risk it for a 6 month old still under warranty.. but not from a "retail trade sales". Too many unaswered questions for me, and for very little more there are plentyof carsupermarts where you can see the cars at very similiar prices.

USED - Cars @TESCO - gordonbennet

If you're thinking of an Insignia to replace your Epica could i respectfully suggest a test drive include all your normal manouevres and parking requirements, the mirrors and their placement on the car are not good IMO, almost imossible to see the ground beside the rear wheels, nice car otherwise though.

Electric handbrake on the one you are considering?, if so does that bother you.

Electric handbrake on the one you are considering?, if so does that bother you.

The only reason i am considering an Insignia is because of the truly excellent customer service from Cawdor cars who have serviced it twice now correctly and economically for me,

Before making a decision about an insignia, cawdor are happy to lend me a car for an extended test drive,

But generally I haven't liked mercedes type hand brakes, no experience of electronic ones, but wait and see. There are plenty of options still without leccy hand brakes, but next car WON'T be french or italian, probably another "unpopular" large korean, or may be just an i30/ceed or similiar.. won't be new new, but pre-reg or about six months old with manufacurers warranty, and a 1st service stamp in the book at purchase time..condition of purchase! Have seen lots of tthe Geelys in the middle east (jordan) where they use them as taxis, and if it can withstand the thrashing it gets from a middle eastern taxi driver, it should be able to cope wirh ORB and SWMBO, See open minded aren't i? There again , SWMBO's 1993 toyota starlet is still in daily use out there with one of her family.

Final little note, in Jordan Diesel engined passenger cars have not been allowed for some years!

USED - Cars @TESCO - gordonbennet
There again , SWMBO's 1993 toyota starlet is still in daily use out there with one of her family.

Cracking little car that, the politicians wet scrappage dream took those and other little gems out of the picture....Mechanics at small Toyota dealer i know were nearly in tears when 1 lady owner and serviced by them from new was scrapped under that vulgar destructive mess with 35k from new and as new condition, what a waste.
USED - Cars @TESCO - bonzo dog

I've had an Insignia & have to say that I thought the electronic brake was great, once I got used to it.

Also love the electronic tail-gate on the sports-tourer.

But as has been said elsewhere, the rear vision is damn awful!

USED - Cars @TESCO - SteveLee

Cheaper than a 2009 (09) Vauxhall Insignia 2.0 CDTi 130 Exclusive with 33,921 miles for £8,699? www.cargiant.co.uk/Vauxhall/Insignia/details-52632...0

cargiant.co.uk/Vauxhall/Insignia/details-526321-Vauxhall-Insignia.asp?viewtype=0

Was just "browsing" in my original post, and comments were about minimal price difference, service history and mostly about not being able to see the car. carggiant have a midget customer service reputation, and neither of the cars acually falls within my search criteria, which is pre-reg or up to 1 year old, service stamp at point of purchase and manufacturers warranty, not some attempted trickery with 1 month platinum warrantyand the obvious £500 claim limitation with the blatant attempt to bypass the Sale of Gooda act.

so even if i buy from a car supermarket, will be 1. covered by the original warranty, and if not by soga. Point one of ny friends still in the trade made was, even if there is a warranty problem, let the selling dealer take care of it. THEY are responsible.

Hi ORB, You will be covered by both the dealer supplied 1 month warranty AND SOGA.

Whether the manufacturer's warranty is still in place I can't say; you would need to get confirmation from that manufacturer on this. However as Tesco are not telling you that the manufacturer warranty IS in place, then they are being straight with you ie you need to assume it isn't.

Your friend is correct, responsibility for faults that fall under SOGA is the retailer's responsibility ...... the problem is that it's not up to you to decide which faults actually fall under SOGA. As I'm continually saying, only the courts can decide this; that's the way the law is framed

Good luck with your decision

Hi ORB, You will be covered by both the dealer supplied 1 month warranty AND SOGA.

I know my "rights" and also my duties when buying a car.

The problems I see are because many people invariably believe what the selling dealer tells them, and I have seen at first hand a dealer say to a customer that when he signed the warranty for the 3 month free warranty he signed away his rights under SOGA.

Its not me that will get caught out, because I have a set of rules i follow when buying cars, whether for me or family and friends, After all i spent most of my working life in the motor trade, and have seen most of the "tricks". I know a trading standards officer near here in south wales, and on talking about an ex vehicle of mine with him, the reply was "thanks" we've got our eyes on him! (the selling trader)

BUT, unfortunately not everybody can buy new or nearly new and benefit from manufacturers warranties

Edited by OldRoverboy on 27/12/2011 at 18:49

USED - Cars @TESCO - unthrottled

BUT, unfortunately not everybody can buy new or nearly new and benefit from manufacturers warranties

Unfortunately buying a second hand car is not under the purview of the welfare state. If you buy second hand, you can walk away with a car at a fraction of the list price. It is just not reasonable to expect a car sold at 10% of its original value to perform like a new car. The SOGA is to provide protection against unscrupulous dealers who knowingly pass on crocks of carp onto ignorant and unsuspecting buyers. It is not there to provide a warranty on the cheap.

Unfortunately buying a second hand car is not under the purview of the welfare state

Best statement I've ever heard or read on the subject ..................

............BTW. what does "purview" mean? :)

If you buy second hand, you can walk away with a car at a fraction of the list price. It is just not reasonable to expect a car sold at 10% of its original value to perform like a new car.

You pays your money, (If you've got it)( and if you want to) and then you don't have to suffer the charlatans that have always inhabited any sort of trading since time began. How many times have we collectively advised people on these pages to treat a large big engined old car purchase as if they had say £3500 to throw away if they had a major fault on a 10 year old Jag or Bmw or somesuch. My personal choice is that I buy as new as I can, (the epica cost me £7021 on the road instead of £16000 ish new at 6 months old) and I got the balance of manufacturers warranty. (the aveo i got at about the same ratio and I think that is a pretty good fraction of the list price, but everyone is free to do as they wish. And Thank the good lord above that those of our previous governments who decided on the rubbish that was masquerading as a car industry can no longer dictate what we drive.

USED - Cars @TESCO - RT

You pays your money, (If you've got it)( and if you want to) and then you don't have to suffer the charlatans that have always inhabited any sort of trading since time began.

Trading in new cars just gives the charlatans a higher target price !!

USED - Cars @TESCO - unthrottled

I think part of the problem is that, unlike old cars, modern cars tend not to fail gracefully. They either work as new-or not at all. Existing problems are often insidious.

Old cars would often gradually succumb to rust and mechanical wear. These problems were often obvious and progressive. It was quite easy to place a value on a used car.

But what value do you attribute to a 10 year old car with a failed DMF? Without replacement, the car is not 'fit for purpose' as a car. But a replacement might cost nearly as much as the car is worth and essentially return the car to as new condition-when it might have had a value 10 times its current value. There isn't a happy medium.

We see a lot of questions asling what is the best car to buy for circa £2000. My answer is to forget the SOGA with its weasel words and spend £1000 on a simple car. With a bit of luck, you'll still have £1000 towards your next car. Without a bit of luck, £1000 will keep a simple car on the road for a long time-or buy another simple car. Either way, you stay on the road.