Toyota Carina E - How to keep a 15yr old car running - dsuk81

I have just been given a 1996 Toyota Carina E 1.8 CD 77,000 from my grandfather for free.

He owned it from a couple of years old and has been serviced every year / 3000 miles (not by dealer, just basic mobile service)

This is my 2nd car, i also have a Ford KA (for day to day)

Known issues:

Original Cambelt (should have been changed at 60k, but non-interfearance)

Gearbox a bit clunky

Drivers elec window doesnt work

Temp gauge stuck in middle

Boot struts dont open boot, very stiff

Havent tried A/C, doubt it will work, but not an issue

Economy light on dash doesnt work (probably bulb)

Condensation on rear window (put dehumidifier on parcel shelf, not sure if it will work)

Planned Maintenance:

Air Filter

Oil / Filter

New spark plugs (not platinum this time)

What else should i do?

Cambelt? Can i not run it until it breaks? (car only used at weekends 200mi p/m)

Gearbox oilchange?

Is there any way to fix boot struts, i put wd40 then grease on, helped a bit

Is there any benefit to giving it a tank of Shell v-power / fuel save and taking it up the rev range, i doubt my grandfather got above 3000rpm and i know the engine mode changes at 4400rpm?

Could i replace front window motor with one from the rear?

Hopefully i'll get a haynes for christmas...

Any advice welcome

Toyota Carina E - How to keep a 15yr old car running - unthrottled

Nice car!

Those old lean burn Toyotas can produce some fairly good economy if you try.

The turnover of V power is so low it's probably worse fuel than supermarket swill-fill it up with any fuel from a forecourt with highturnover and give it a blast-if you're sure that is a non intereference engine! A fifteen yr old cambelt is very old...

If the car has been sitting a while, check the brake calipers/pistons are working properly.

Some say that changing the gear box oil can make shifting smoother. My old Toyota had a fairly notchety gear change-nature of the beast?

Are the tyres worn and cracked?

tbh, the engine is likely to be the bit of the car that needs least attention.

Are the CV joint gaiters still holding grease? Are the brake lines still decent? It tends to be the parts on the underside of the car that fail first.

Edited by unthrottled on 19/12/2011 at 19:33

Toyota Carina E - How to keep a 15yr old car running - bathtub tom

I'd certainly recommend a cam-belt and tensioner, probably an auxiliary drive belt at the same time. Is the cost comparable to an inconvenient breakdown?

Pollen filter?

As unthrottled suggests, oil and filter, air filter, plugs and a good look over, but all that can wait until it's warmer. You might consider syphoning some coolant into a yoghurt pot and putting it in the freezer overnight, just to be safe.

An 'Italian tune-up' probably wouldn't go amiss.

Toyota Carina E - How to keep a 15yr old car running - dsuk81

I do like the relaxed driving style of the engine, hopefully economy will be good, only 70 miles in...

Always use shell fuel save, so hopefully this will clean things up a bit.

Car hasnt been used for a month, before that was only doing 3000mi per year, 1/2hr drives not short town trips.

Tyres seem ok, but will give a thorough check, havent looked at cv joints, only just looked up what they are, will have a look under the car at the weekend.However passed mot in oct, so presumably no problems

Any other advice, on running an old car...dont want to spend a fortune but would like to run it for a few years if i can.

Toyota Carina E - How to keep a 15yr old car running - unthrottled

See if you can pick up a front e/w motor from a scrappy. Should only be £10-20. I used Nippon parts when I had a Toyota.

If the car only gets used infrequently, the battery might be dicey-from frequent deep discharges.

I inherited a 92 Toyota and the brake lines were very rusty (as was most of the undercarriage). The brake calipers never really worked very well. If you're satisfied that the brakes are trustworthy, just drive it. Movement is the best thing to keep a car healthy-especially in winter. Don't be tempted to spend money on potions!

Toyota Carina E - How to keep a 15yr old car running - Talking Hoarse

You may be pleasantly surprised how well the car survives.

I suggest also check over /free off the brakes, and do any remedial work. Copperslip on onto all the brake pipe joins and clips, flush & bleed the brake fluid. Carefully examine all the rubber bits (eg brake hoses, coolant pipes, tyres) for any cracks and replace if in any doubt. I would also suggest flush & replace coolant but others (above) say just test. For longer term - you may (or may not?) want to preserve the car by spraying some cavity wax etc eg Waxoyl under the car, may save the cost of patches being welded.

Toyota Carina E - How to keep a 15yr old car running - gordonbennet

Lucky you, good car that, along with Corolla probably one of the most reliable and durable mass production cars ever.

I'd get cam belt done too, if you get a Haynes all the jobs you need to do on that car should be DIY, especially if you've got a mechanically minded mate that wouldn't mind popping over and keeping an eye on you...get a few cold beers in and plant him in a deck chair when the weathers warm beside you.

If it drives OK now i'd just give it a quick look over then use it through the winter carefully, taking note of the excellent advice above re checking things like anti freeze strength, brakes and CV joints, the only thing i would try and fix sharpish is the window winder, might only be a switch, if its the motor or mechanism get the bits from a breaker...a simple sharp pointed screwdriver type circuit tester is in invaluable for things like this and costs a couple of quid..

After the salt has gone give it a seriously good underbody wash then get down under and do your stuff, when you've done all the work underneath like stripping and checking the brakes replacing gear oil etc, then grease all the metal brake pipes up and slosh some waxoyl about wherever its needed, pay particular attention to brake pipes that disappear over the rear subrame etc, swines to change if they corrode on every car.

Worth looking after that car.

Toyota Carina E - How to keep a 15yr old car running - madf

We run cars for 15 years +.

Best advice:

Rust proof the petrol filler pipe to tak after remving all mud.

Ditt: all supension coils where rusty (they will break when rusty), all suspension brackets, all steel engine brackets. any rusty bits.

Takes 2-3 hours once every 3-4 years.. A nothing in the bigger scale.

Remove all whels and copper slip faces of wheels/hubs as they corrode(as above brakes and cambelt).

Check all hoses and hose through radiator fins to remove salt corrosion..

Change brake fluid. Change gearbox oil.. CAstrol SMS is good for notchy changes...

All brake lines to be rustproofed if not plastic covered.

Check exhaust system. A quick clean with wire brush and heatproof aluminium paint means it will last years.. our record is 13 years old and was still ok.

Preventative maintenance saves loadsofmoney.

Toyota Carina E - How to keep a 15yr old car running - mss1tw
Change brake fluid. Change gearbox oil.. CAstrol SMS is good for notchy changes...

Your whole post is spot on, but DAMN I wish I'd known that before I changed my notchy Berlingo's gearbox oil at the weekend! Granville 75/90 is what's in there now.

Suprisngly easy and pleasant job...

Toyota Carina E - How to keep a 15yr old car running - V4 Heaven
A man after my own heart! I have a Carina E 1.8 GS 5 door petrol manual. It is a 1997 and has just gone over 160,000 miles. The day after I bought it with 46,000 miles on the clock I drove it 1,600 miles to Naples in 2 days!

What can I say? I'm a big fan of servicing and preventative maintenance. Mine has a full service history and is serviced as per the service schedule by a local independent. Mine's just had a full service and a cambelt so I'm aiming for 200,000 miles before I consider replacing it. Have a go yourself if you're up for it.

It uses approx half a litre of oil every 9,000 miles (ie between servicings).

Gearbox oil should be changed every 27,000 miles. Third gear is my favourite; it'll pull from 10mph up to 85mph.

Needed a new radiator and water pump approx 2 years ago. Beware - garage honoured their original quote which was far, far less than what it should have cost. It turned out that access to the water pump was very tricky.

Mine's just had a new full exhaust which was £240 from a local supplier (Kwik Fit wanted £400!).

Funnily enough, mine had to have the driver's door window regulator replaced. I bought a pattern part and my local independent fitted it. that was about £120ish all in I think.

Insurance can be a bit heavy as it's group 10 and tax is an old skool £200+ per year.

I do 16,000 miles a year and as my commute is mainly A roads with flowing traffic, I can get 42-46 mpg. At an indicated 80mph I get 42 mpg all day. These averages are taken over a full tank of fuel.

Try different fuels but they don't seem to make much difference. My current tank of supermarket petrol seems to be lasting forever- 420 miles so far with a quarter of a tank to go.

There are no electrical problems and the electric sunroof still works a treat, however the air con has failed and a very expensive pipe needs replacing. Not worth it on my car which is worth about £350.

Italian clean outs are the way ahead, it currently gets about 2-3 a week although I don't go above 6,000 revs. There's nothing to be gained in taking it to the redline at 6,500.

I've contemplated replacing it a few times but then it passes another MOT without any work needing doing - it just keeps going! It is on its original clutch too, so should this fail I think it may be decision time.

Enjoy it!
Toyota Carina E - How to keep a 15yr old car running - Ernied

A couple of years ago I bought an ancient 1.4 Corolla (98) It was advertised as a decent banger still driving as new. Low miles and good service history. Quick road test and I couldn't pay fast enough. In spite of being 12yrs old everything worked as it should. Electric windows, electric sunroof, rear demister- everything perfect. It starts instantly, and judging by the labels on the battery, it might be the original fitment. The car is so reliable that I don't even think about it not starting, or not reaching my destination. The only downside is that the bonnet paint is suffering from peeling laquer. And I like the car so much that I'm considering having the bonnet resprayed !