New "A" Class. - davecooper

I am not a great fan of German styling which is one of the reasons I have steered clear of the small versions of the big 4. However, the announcement that the new Merc "A" class would move away from the mini MPV styling tempted me, as I pictured it as a smaller "C" class which is probably my favourite among the German rivals. I can also get some good deals on Mercs through the family. However, after seeing the spy shots, this car is unlikely to be gracing my drive any time soon. Maybe it will look better when finally launched but it looks like a typical Euro box with nothing in common with its larger stablemetes. A bit dissapointing as I was underwhelmed with the Audi A1 styling as well.

Oh well, back to the Far east!

New "A" Class. - tony g
Hi,dave,
I've bought and sold a few of the facelift a class models.
They always made feel slightly underwelmed.
Apart from the great badge they really offered little ,not that good to drive,not especially well made.They lacked the solid feel of traditional mercs. And were expensive to buy.
A focus 1.6 ,always seemed a better buy to me,better to drive,and much better value.
Unless of course you wanted to impress the neighbours ?

Tony g

a class models.
New "A" Class. - Collos25

The new "A" class is quite a change from the present version it was released to the German press earlier this year and is quite an impresive, designed to compete with the Audi "A1" I would have thought..

New "A" Class. - Sofa Spud

I always thought the original A Class was very neat looking, apart from the slightly awkward rear window styling.

The second version of the A Class looked a bit like one of the original type that had been dropped 20 feet!

I like the one-box styling idea and it's a pity Mercedes have now moved away from it, although I'm aware it was expensive to produce because of the double floor (originally designed with an electric version of the A Class in mind) and the terrible engine accessiblilty.

As for current Mercedes styling - fussy and messy. Why can't they leave the sides of the car alone, instead of putting in random slashes and absurd wheel-arch bulges? It makes the cars look like they've been involved in an accident! Perhaps it's the motoring equivalent of 'heroin chique' - call it 'write-off architecture DNA', perhaps.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 15/12/2011 at 11:03