Ford Mondeo - Views on this please guys? - Superbad

Hi,

I've been to see this, just wondered what people thought:

1. Was missing the stone chip protector on the drivers side rear door. Considering it's not just stuck on, why would it be missing?

2. Is on a 2 year service plan?

3. Looks a lot cheaper than Mondeos of the same age, spec, mileage.

4. Has a warranty through a 3rd party - Maprfe

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-Ford-Mondeo-2-0-Zet...

Thanks to anyone that replies. I don't know too much about cars and don't want to buy a lemon.

Ford Mondeo - Views on this please guys? - bathtub tom

Can't see it. Get the message: This listing () has been removed, or this item is not available.

Sorry,

tinyurl.com/c5qadnn

Ford Mondeo - Views on this please guys? - unthrottled

£6750 looks a lot for a 2 litre petrol nowadays. Not a lot of demand for this engine.

Is the engine bad?

Or just the cost of petrol going up?

I've owed the same car for 11 years, like this car but don't want to buy a lemon

Edited by Superbad on 13/12/2011 at 20:17

No, it'll be very nice. But against the 50mpg+ figures quoted for the diesel, 35mpg looks pretty unappealing.This is largely what governs the market value.

That's not the whole story though. For some users the petrol makes much more sense.

Ford Mondeo - Views on this please guys? - Graham567

Just valued the car on Glasses guide and it came up with this.

With a selling price of £6750 its not a bad price.

Part-exchange Price: Excellent condition: £6170 Average condition: £5730 Below average condition: £5140

Edited by Videodoctor on 13/12/2011 at 19:57

Ford Mondeo - Views on this please guys? - tony g
Hi,presuming that it's a new shape mondeo,the price is reasonable.
However it's value will drop like a stone over the next year .The 2.0 engine will kill it's value.
I've a 2007 56 reg 1.8 5 door lx petrol old shape for sale ,50k miles fsh ,nice car.yours retail for £3250 ! That gives me a profit.
Will yours be worth £3000 next year ?

Tony g

Edited by tony g on 13/12/2011 at 20:56

Ford Mondeo - Views on this please guys? - sandy56

I Like petrol cars but until I get 45-50 mpg I wont be buying one unless I only do about 5-6000 miles ayear.

It just isnt worth it.

Diesel is the way to go at the moment and if you pick the right one the disadvantages you can live with. I am tempted by the new hybrids but they are too expensive for me at the moment, and I like to stay in the fast lane on the motorway where hybrids make no sense.

Thanks for all your replies guys, much appreciated.

My current car does around 35mpg. I do less than 10k a year. A lot of shortish journeys and I don't think diesel like short journeys?

2 year service intervals, common for this sort of car?

Condition wise, it's almost perfect. Just the stone chip protection
Missing, just wondered why this would be the case, seeing as it it's painted the same colour as the bodywork

Edited by Superbad on 13/12/2011 at 21:30

Ford Mondeo - Views on this please guys? - oldtoffee

Seems a fair price - quite a few at cargiant around that price some a bit more. It will depreciate a fair bit more over the next 2 years but if you're planning to keep it for say 4 or 5 years you won't suffer too badly. Road tax will sting each year and you'll be getting low to mid 30's mpg on a run but you won't have the worry of diesel particulate filters, injectors, dual mass flywheels going pop under your ownership. Lots and lots around at that age, coming off leases so if it is the type of car you want you can be very choosy about mileage, condition and proper service history.

Ford Mondeo - Views on this please guys? - bathtub tom

I can't see what you mean by 'stone chip protector', but if it's on one side but not the other then that implies accident damage repair on the side it's missing.

May not be an issue, but could be worth getting a professional opinion if you really want the car.

Ford Mondeo - Views on this please guys? - jamie745

No, it'll be very nice. But against the 50mpg+ figures quoted for the diesel, 35mpg looks pretty unappealing.This is largely what governs the market value.

That's not the whole story though. For some users the petrol makes much more sense.

Its not all about mpg and petrol v diesel though is it? Its short sighted to say 'its a petrol it should cost £4.23' because that'd be stupid. I think its a fair price because 2.0TDCi Mondeo's on a 58 plate with under 40k on them are going for about £7,500+

The petrol one the OP is looking at is unlikely to have been a company car - the fact its petrol and only done 34k in 3 years suggests that - so its not a car thats been worked hard, its only just out of warranty so there should be no problems, the dealer is supplying it with a 12 month warranty and its obviously priced to take a possible p/x into account. Also dont forget low mileage users wont want a diesel, theres also far more diesel Mondeo's to choose from than petrol's on the used market.

By the way, 35mpg looks quite high to me!

No it isn't. I was just pointing out that market demand governs the price. Since very few Mondeo buyers would consider the petrol-the market price will be low. That is an opportunity for certain motorists...

Ford Mondeo - Views on this please guys? - jamie745

I'd stick to the rule of 'if your first offer doesnt embarass you its not low enough' and go in there and offer them £4,000 + the OP's car of 11 years and start the ball rolling.