Vauxhall Omega - Vauxhall Omega 2.2 CD Auto Gearbox Problem - JJFranco

Hi! I have an old 2002 Vauxhall Omega 2.2 CD Automatic.

It has an occasional, slight shudder through the drive-train at about 50/55 mph which, I think, is not wheel related. On top of that, if I rest my hand on the selector, I can feel a slight movement to and froe through the selector lever when accelerating and decelerating as if it were a manual and I've never known this having owned many automatics. Very occasionally, I will lose drive altogether for a few seconds as if I'd pressed an imaginary clutch pedal. I have heard that this is not an unknown problem on larger engined Vauxhall automatics. Obviously the momentary loss of drive is the most worrying problem. Be very grateful for any info! Cheers!

Vauxhall Omega - Vauxhall Omega 2.2 CD Auto Gearbox Problem - RT

First thing to do is drain the fluid and refresh with new, latest spec Dexron - it may not cure the problem but will eliminate it as a possibility. You don't say what the mileage is but the old fluid may well be in a poor state anyway.

Hi! Yeah, the mileage is around the 100K mark, so nothing outlandish. I think it has to be the Dexron IIIG instead of what Vauxhall supply. You're right of course, and any repair would obviously involve changing the oil anyway. It's just I've had one or two bad experiences changing the oil in these 'sealed for life' auto-boxes. But thanks a lot for the advice!

Vauxhall Omega - Vauxhall Omega 2.2 CD Auto Gearbox Problem - TeeCee

It's just I've had one or two bad experiences changing the oil in these 'sealed for life' auto-boxes.

At 100k, you're far more likely to have a bad experience not changing it, I'd expect it to have lost its "pinkness" and be a rather murky colour by now. If you use regular Dexron, you'll probably have to do this regularly (annually?) as you'll be lacking the long-life "snake oil" additives in the GM product.

Then again, GM's snake oil is so ruddy expensive you'll get through an awful lot of Dexron changes before you lose out......

Dexron is a GM specification - I doubt that Vauxhall branded ATF is anything other than straight Dexron.

At 100k, you're far more likely to have a bad experience not changing it, I'd expect it to have lost its "pinkness" and be a rather murky colour by now. If you use regular Dexron, you'll probably have to do this regularly (annually?) as you'll be lacking the long-life "snake oil" additives in the GM product.

Then again, GM's snake oil is so ruddy expensive you'll get through an awful lot of Dexron changes before you lose out......

Yeah, thanks! I'm convinced about this now. One guy even suggested that it could be the ATF causing the loss of drive if it were in poor condition, (although I'm not sure I'm convinced about that.) I was just wondering whether Mobil 1 Dexron-VI or Mobil 1 Synth would be a better bet? And could you please tell me more about the GM product. ATF is not something that's changed every five minutes so I would like to install the best quality available.

Cheers!

Dexron III is a very old specification - use the latest as all Dexrons are backwards compatible - I think Dexron 6 is the latest but they might be onto 7.

Yeah, think you're right. Was just asking TC whether Mobil 1 Dexron or Synth would be compatible? Would welcome any advice on the best suitable ATF.

Cheers!

Anyone know if Amsoil Synthetic is compatible?

Have a look on the Opie website - for each product they give complete compatibility and approval information.