Volkswagen Golf - Focus v Golf - retained value? - Dingle232

I am looking at changing my car for a couple of options:

• 59 plate Focus Zetec 1.8 TDCi with 18k miles at £8700 or
  • 08 plate Golf Match 1.9 TDi with 24k miles at £8700

Which would be the better buy in terms of retained value in around 2 years? I do around 12k miles a year.

Any other comments on which is generally the better buy would also be appreciated. Am not sure what year VW managed to rid the Mk5 Golf os the ABS pump issue?

Cheers.

PS: Or would a Focus 1.6 TDCi on a 59 plate be a contender for £8300?

Volkswagen Golf - Focus v Golf - retained value? - Avant

If you do no more than 12,000 miles a year, you'll do better to find a newer petrol version for your money. A Golf will always cost a bit more, but pay for itself by holding its value better.

Thanks Avant - I kinda suspected that would be the case but, say in 12 months from now, is an 08 plate Golf likely to lose me less over a 59 plate Focus? I suspect that the answer is yes but obviously want to lose the least.

Take your point over the petrol v diesel but it's a conscious decision to buy a diesel.

Volkswagen Golf - Focus v Golf - retained value? - daveyjp

Quite easy to get an idea.

What is an 07 Golf with 36,000 on the clock selling for?

What is a 58 Focus with 30,000 selling for?

Quite easy to get an idea.

What is an 07 Golf with 36,000 on the clock selling for?

What is a 58 Focus with 30,000 selling for?

Golf - £8490

Focus £8290

Looks like the Golf is the better retained value on this basis.

Volkswagen Golf - Focus v Golf - retained value? - bonzo dog

but it's a conscious decision to buy a diesel.

Then change it, seriously!

The problems currently being experienced by diesels - turbo, DMF, DPF + the premium diesel is at the pumps outweigh the savings on fuel consumption, IMO

Volkswagen Golf - Focus v Golf - retained value? - bonzo dog

Hi Dingle, you've already answered your own question - for the same money you can buy a Focus with 18k or a Golf that is 18 months (or thereabouts) older with a third more mileage; clearly the Golf depreciates less.

On the other hand Fords (in general) are more reliable than VWs & parts & labour costs for service & repairs are likley to be cheaper with a Ford than a VW, whether inside or outside of the franchised network.

I know where my money would go - the Ford

Either way, good luck

Volkswagen Golf - Focus v Golf - retained value? - Bobbin Threadbare

I'll reiterate something I've said before - I commuted almost 30k p.a. in a 1.6L petrol Focus. It would have been more expensive to buy a diesel in the first place, the diesel version was a little more for me to insure (no idea why!) and judging by the requests for help in the Technical section of this site, it would also have needed lots of irritating repairs. I'm happy with petrol (even more so since my mileage dropped a lot and the differential between petrol and diesel is going up).

I hadn't really considered petrol to be honest as I never believe the official mpg figures (for diesel either FWIW). A friend of mine has a 59 plate Focus 1.6 Zetec and it DRINKS petrol like there's no tomorrow.

The difference between petrol and diesel Focii, same year same variant, is around 700 quid on the purchase price.

A friend of mine has a 59 plate Focus 1.6 Zetec and it DRINKS petrol like there's no tomorrow.

Ah mine was the more old-school Mk I Focus LX (a 52-plate). I'd have run it till it fell to bits except I began to hanker after a little more power for big hills!

I have just run a like for like Petrol v Diesel calc on the What Car site and the payback time for diesel over petrol is a tad over a year which is not too bad really.

As an aside does anyone know definitively from which year VW fitted their Golfs with ABS pumps that didn't fail? I think it was 08 onwards but cannot be sure.

Volkswagen Golf - Focus v Golf - retained value? - Trilogy

How about? http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201145428009623/sort/priceasc/usedcars/maximum-age/up_to_2_years_old/body-type/hatchback/price-to/10000/price-from/7000/maximum-mileage/up_to_20000_miles/model/golf/make/volkswagen/postcode/pl210we/radius/1500/page/1?logcode=p

If you go for a Golf make sure you get a MK6. It's significantly better than a MK5, and IMO looks better. Also, a MK5 will depreciate more than a MK6.

"I have just run a like for like Petrol v Diesel calc on the What Car site and the payback time for diesel over petrol is a tad over a year which is not too bad really."

Please note others comments about reliability of modern diesels. Replacing a DPF i.e. diesel particulate filter, will more than wipe out your savings on fuel over a year. I was talking to the guy who services my car and he was telling me about a BMW which he works on. It's had 5 replacement DPFs in 5 years.

btw I run a Skoda and a Mercedes diesel. I wouldn't run a diesel if my mileage was only 12,000 a year.

Edited by Trilogy on 01/12/2011 at 20:54

How about? http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201145428009623/sort/priceasc/usedcars/maximum-age/up_to_2_years_old/body-type/hatchback/price-to/10000/price-from/7000/maximum-mileage/up_to_20000_miles/model/golf/make/volkswagen/postcode/pl210we/radius/1500/page/1?logcode=p

Looks a nice car but had a bump.

Please note others comments about reliability of modern diesels. Replacing a DPF i.e. diesel particulate filter, will more than wipe out your savings on fuel over a year. I was talking to the guy who services my car and he was telling me about a BMW which he works on. It's had 5 replacement DPFs in 5 years.

btw I run a Skoda and a Mercedes diesel. I wouldn't run a diesel if my mileage was only 12,000 a year.

Fair point but I have been running diesels for 15 years (granted only the most recent would meet your definition of 'modern' and my other half just as long - she has a Mk 6 Golf) and neither of us have ever ever had a problem with any of them save for a few niggles.

I currently have a '58 i30 and it's been brilliant in the main.

Dingle, fair comments, and the best way, is experience.

Sorry, I didn't notice the bump, it was really the version I was suggesting.

Maybe, if you haven't already done so, it would be best to drive your short list to help you make your decision.

Good Luck!

"I currently have a '58 i30 and it's been brilliant in the main."

Tell us why you want to change - in the case of the Golf to something older.

The i30 is great but having had both Focii and Golfs before - they are much better to drive and I always enjoyed driving them. The i30 is not a 'bad' drive; just not quite as engaging.

In addition the depreciation on the Hyundai is alarming to say the least. I reckon an 08 Golf will be worth more in 12 - 18 months than the i30 will be by some way.

Volkswagen Golf - Focus v Golf - retained value? - balleballe

I'll reiterate something I've said before - I commuted almost 30k p.a. in a 1.6L petrol Focus. It would have been more expensive to buy a diesel in the first place, the diesel version was a little more for me to insure (no idea why!) and judging by the requests for help in the Technical section of this site, it would also have needed lots of irritating repairs. I'm happy with petrol (even more so since my mileage dropped a lot and the differential between petrol and diesel is going up).

And I do 25-30k miles a year in a 2.0l petrol

Had that been a diesel I would only save around £500 a year on fuel

Unless we leave the EU, i'm sticking to petrol lol

I then dropped to about 22k in a 1.8l petrol. Balleballe and I are in the superb Mazda owners' club ;-)

I can't get my head around a petrol again after having a diesel for so long.

Volkswagen Golf - Focus v Golf - retained value? - balleballe

I then dropped to about 22k in a 1.8l petrol. Balleballe and I are in the superb Mazda owners' club ;-)

Most certainly :D

They are by far the best handling of all the mainstream Jap's, IMO

Volkswagen Golf - Focus v Golf - retained value? - barney100

The small amount of money the golf is worth than the focus after two years needs to balanced against the service/repair costs of the cars and the one you actually prefer, insurance and mpg could narrow the gap but I don't know the details.

Barney has made a very valid point. There are so many variables, and the depreciation you suffer will be governed by the p/ex when you change, unless of course you sell privately.

Going by HJ's Real Life Fuel Consumption Indicator on this site.

Ford Focus 2008

Comparing a 1.8 petrol, with a 1.8 diesel over 12,000 miles I've gone with 36 mpg vs. 48mpg. Assuming petrol is £1.30/litre while diesel is £1.40/litre fuel cost would work at at £1933 and £1575 per year, which equates to a difference of £358. No doubt other comparisons of engine size will vary.

TDCi ECOnetic 65.7–70.6 mpg 60.8 mpg 58.6–64.4 mpg 1.6 TDCi ECOnetic Start-Stop 74.2 mpg 1.6 Ti-VCT 42.8 mpg 35.1 mpg 33–38 mpg 1.8 40.3 mpg 36.8 mpg 32–41.2 mpg 1.8 FFV 40.3 mpg 40.3 mpg 37–42 mpg 1.8 TDCi 53.2–54.2 mpg 48.1 mpg 43–52.8 mpg
Volkswagen Golf - Focus v Golf - retained value? - JohnM{P}

My high mileage experiences with 2005 Golf 1.9 TDi are posted here:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=80894

To update, I p/ex'd it a year ago the week before Christmas at 160k against a 2007 1.9Tdi Roomster (much easier for my elderly parents to get in and out, plus more room to transport my son's stuff to university). I do miss it though and often wish I had kept it (though I am happy with the Roomster); it could easily have passed for 100k less.

It appeared on Autotrader between Christmas and the New Year and disappeared, presumed sold, within a week, so a high mileage Golf is obviously still desirable...

I had no DMF nor ESP issues. The turbo went at 100k, which seems to be a weakness on the earlier cars, however check to see if the 2008 model you're looking at has a DPF.

(Only other significant costs were a radiator, new bonnet catch and sealing the boot air pressure valve to stop a leak).

In my post, I said that I'd had a 1.8 Focus diesel for a short while - I could have lived with it, but the Golf was the nicer car in my opinion.

Good luck, whichever you choose!

Volkswagen Golf - Focus v Golf - retained value? - akr

I've had numerous Golfs, diesel and petrol. In my experience the petrols have been spot on with very little going wrong. The diesels, on the other hand, have been less good, although my experience of diesel Golfs have been Mk4s which are known to be crap.

Golfs will always fetch more money than Focii on resale but never ever think they'll be more reliable, cos they won't be. Therefore, as a private buyer like me, it's a gamble - you're gambling the advantages of reasle on the Golf against the cost of repairs when it goes wrong cos that'll cost you many more pennies than a Focus.

You takes your choice.....

Volkswagen Golf - Focus v Golf - retained value? - thunderbird

Had both Golf and Focus Diesels in the past, 1.9 TDi Golf and 1.6 TDCi Focus. Never had a serious problem with either, had Golf for 6 1/2 years and Focus for 5 years. Golf had more niggles and minor repairs, Focus only had an alternator belt other than tyres and servicing. Golf lost £12,000 in depreciation, Focus lost £8,000. Based on that the Focus would be my choice.

BUT

When we looked at replacing the Focus we decided on an identical car but luckily we checked what the servicing costs were for the newer (59/10) plated car. Old Focus did not have dpf, new one did, £200 after 3 years to re-fill additive tank, £1000 after 6 years to replace dpf. 1.8 TDCI did not have dpf thus decided to try one, engine was truly hateful after 1.6 TDCi, would not pull away without mega revs and was really noisy and rough, old school diesel.

Decided to look at Golf. VW dealer we had bought 4 cars from in the past was not interested in even leaving his desk to talk to us, even suggested we try a different dealer, OK it was raining. Alternative dealer was just as useless wanting us to drive a Sciriocco rather than a Golf or Passat.

Bought a Kia Ceed, newer car, cheaper to service, better warranty and a dealer that actually wanted to be helpful.

Thunderbird that's a really useful appriasal thanks. The Focii I have had in the past have been the 1.8 variants and I have to say I thought they were pretty solid - never had a problem but your post is quite thought provoking.

The BIG draw with the i30 I have has been the dealer experience - they are absolutely excellent and nothing is/has been too much trouble at all. I'm just in a quandary in that the i30 will further depreciate with the imminent arrival of i30-2 in March. It's that old question of spend a little to change now or a lot more in March?

The other contender I have started to look at is the Mazda 3. My agenda is to get a decent, reliable motor with minimum outlay.

" Golf lost £12,000 in depreciation, Focus lost £8,000. Based on that the Focus would be my choice."

Understandably so, Thunderbird - but can you tell us how that happened? Normally VWs, rightly or wrongly, hold their value better than Fords. I've had several VAG cars from new but although I'm the first to agree that modern Fords are good cars, I wouldn't buy one new.

Maybe you got a partcularly good dicount when you bought the Focus?

Thunderbird - I really like that you just bought a Kia instead!! Stuff the main contenders and get the market opened up and more competitive.

The Cee'd, the Hyundai i30 and the Mazda 3 are all valid prospects in the Focus/Golf size category. I have to say, Japanese car fan that I am, you'll get a lot more spec for your money from a Mazda 3 than a Golf.

What about a Skoda Fabia? It's a VAG vehicle and they're quite quirky and roomy looking.

The Fabia is a good idea - and thre's an estate veraion available too. If that's still too small, bear in mind that the Octavia is built on the Golf platform.

Avant - Yes we got a very good discount on the Focus but we also got a reasonanble discount when we bought the Golf. The difference was not £4000 and the bottom line was I had to find a lot less to buy a Focus than a similary specced Golf that would have been older. Would have definitely bought another but for the dpf service costs.

We also looked at the Octavia (along with many other cars) before we bought the Ceed, really liked it but the steering wheel adjuster control was placed in exactly the place where the wifes left knee was when she was changing gear, very bad design and dangerous in a accident. Not a problem for me, only a problem for shorter people but a serious problem, Golf was the same.

We also quite liked the i30 but the nearest dealer was also an Alfa and Subaru dealer and charged servicing costs to match plus the Ceed (we bought the SW) was absolutely huge in comparison. Don't regret decision at all but we will find out about residuals come trade in time. Considering it was £4500 less than a similary specced Golf we will have to be very unlucky for it to be worth £4500 less than a Golf when its 5 or 6 years old.

Thunderbird how do you find the Ce'ed drives? I had one as a hire car about 12 months ago (the pre facelift model) - 1.6 CRDi. The spec on the car was fantastic but I found it a very 'heavy' drive and there was a very very noticeable steering pull to the left; something which I hav read about being a problem with Ce'eds. The engine was definitely fantastic and more sporty than the configuration in the i30 (it's the same unit I believe?).

Considering my i30 is basically a Ce'ed I find it a much more refined drive and definitely a bit softer ride wise - no sterring pull either. The newer Ce'ed may be different but I am not sure what if any changes they made over the original.

Thunderbird how do you find the Ce'ed drives? I had one as a hire car about 12 months ago (the pre facelift model) - 1.6 CRDi. The spec on the car was fantastic but I found it a very 'heavy' drive and there was a very very noticeable steering pull to the left; something which I hav read about being a problem with Ce'eds. The engine was definitely fantastic and more sporty than the configuration in the i30 (it's the same unit I believe?).

Considering my i30 is basically a Ce'ed I find it a much more refined drive and definitely a bit softer ride wise - no sterring pull either. The newer Ce'ed may be different but I am not sure what if any changes they made over the original.

Dingle

Ours is post facelift SW3, 2011 model year 115 bhp diesel. In its class the drive is spot on and it is definitely not a heavy drive, my wife is an 8 stone weakling and she loves it. The ride is spot on and there is much less wind noise and road noise than the Focus. After the 110 bhp TDCi Focus the performance is a revelation especially when you find that if you give the accelerator an extra strong push you get 100% throttle instead of 80%, its an economy feature that no one tells you about, its in the handbook if you are sad enough to read it, I found it when fitting mats.

Yes it does pull slightly to the left but so did the Focus. On a motorway/dual carriage way type road its hardly noticeable (on a newly surfaced piece of road near home it runs strait as an arrow) but on A and B roads with a noticeable camber it does pull, move over to overtake and guess what, with opposite camber it pulls slightly to the right, its clearly a "design feature" and not a fault. After about 11,000 miles there is no tyre scuffing thus its definitely not suspension settings.

The i30 and Ceed share a majority of their components, everything is stamped Hyundai/Kia, bit like VW group products I guess. The engine in the post facelift car is described as being a different one despite being the same capacity exactly, all I know is its is magic for a 1600.

Average mpg over 11,000 miles has been almost 50mpg which is a calculated figure and not from the fuel confuser on the dash, having said that it looks pretty accurate. Thats probably slightly better than the Focus but our usage is different now since the wifes commute is longer thus its difficult to say for definite. The old Golf always appeared to give fantastic mpg figures but Mr VW made the odometer overead by about 5% which rather flattered the figures, Mr Ford was spot on and Mr Kia actually makes his odometer underead by 3%, how many people are sad enough to check that.

Is thare anything I don't like about it, well yes there is, Ceeds are VAT free now (just like Skoda's), had to pay VAT on ours. Having said that the price to change when we bought it was virtually the same as a Focus 1.6 TDCi Titanium Estate after Mr Ford had knocked his usual huge discount off the price but the Kia has kit that the Focus was missing plus its way bigger. According to Mr Parkers guide (have always found it to be a good benchmark) a 57 plate Ceed SW is worth £300 more than a 57 plate Focus estate but £1,335 less than the Golf Estate, which I am happy with especially when you consider they wanted about £4,000 extra for the Golf.

As I said happy so far, ask me again in 4 or 5 years’ time, I will know for certain then.