Ford Ka - Ford Ka 1.3 Endura - One oily spark plug - Help!! - 1998blueka

I have a 1998 Ka with the 1.3 Endura E.

It had a misfire issue which after a set of plugs and leads, went away. 3 of the 4 spark plugs snapped off in the head, meaning I had to get them out using a torx driver. This was ok but it resulted in debris falling into the cylinders.

I used a magnet and turned the engine over by hand to try and clear the cylinders out.

The car was then fine for a couple of weeks.

Now the misfire has returned twice in about 6 weeks. Each time cylinder 3's spark plug is fouled. It is black and has oily deposits on it. I changed the spark plug each time and misfire goes away for about 3 weeks.

The engine is noisy, and has smoke coming out the exhaust. It uses quite a bit of oil, too.

Does anyone know what I can do to solve this? Would resetting the valve clearances help the situation? Why is the plug fouling?

Thanks

Ford Ka - Ford Ka 1.3 Endura - One oily spark plug - Help!! - Peter.N.

I don't think that there is much doubt that you have advanced engine wear with possibly broken rings on No 3 cylinder. I think a good seconhand engine would be your best course. I assume that its done a high mileage or hasn't been maintained very well.

Ford Ka - Ford Ka 1.3 Endura - One oily spark plug - Help!! - jc2

Usually rings on these.

Ford Ka - Ford Ka 1.3 Endura - One oily spark plug - Help!! - jc2

Usually rings on these.I put a new set of standard rings on mine when it started using oil-no further problems.It's an easy job to take the head off and have a look-no cambelt-no chain.

Edited by jc2 on 30/11/2011 at 10:34

Ford Ka - Ford Ka 1.3 Endura - One oily spark plug - Help!! - 98blueKA

I can't seem to login using my original username. So I've had to make a new account!

Thanks for the replies.

As for taking the head off and examing the potential damage, it's an idea. Could you please tell me what's involved in changing the piston rings? I presume the bottom end needs to come off to change them, is that correct?

Thanks again