Toyota Yaris - replacement clutch under warranty? - birdieman

I have owned a toyota yaris from new since march 2010 after about a year (9000 miles) the clutch started to slip and I believe that the dealer fixed it under warranty. I am now at 18000 miles and about 9 monhts later and the dealer informs me i need a new clutch at £950 which will not be under warranty (toyota have also refused to contribute) apparently it is due to my driving style/wear and tear any input?

Toyota Yaris - replacement clutch under warranty? - madf

Model?

Toyota Yaris - replacement clutch under warranty? - Chris M

Yes, learn to drive. There will be plenty of backroomers who have had clutches last 180,000 miles or more. To go through two in 18,000 miles shows a lack of mechanical sympathy. How about finding an advanced driving instructor who can identify the errors you are making and suggest how to improve.

I have actually driven many different manual cars over the years and this is the first one I have had a problem with but thanks for your input

Yaris 1.3TR

Toyota Yaris - replacement clutch under warranty? - focussed

Quote -"Yes, learn to drive. There will be plenty of backroomers who have had clutches last 180,000 miles or more. To go through two in 18,000 miles shows a lack of mechanical sympathy. How about finding an advanced driving instructor who can identify the errors you are making and suggest how to improve."-Unquote

I am a qualified driving instructor who also teaches to advanced standard-I had the clutch fail in the same manner in my Honda Civic 2.2 ctdi at 25K miles about a year ago. The faulty clutch and DMF were replaced under warranty. There was no wear or damage visible on the clutch or flywheel faces-it isn't the drivers fault if it's a faulty clutch to start with.

Toyota Yaris - replacement clutch under warranty? - Chris M

Does a Yaris 1.3TR have a DMF?

It appears the OP is an experienced driver, so my diagnosis may be wrong. It seems strange that two clutches fail at 9,000 miles though. Are they a known weakness on the Yaris? It would appear that Toyota either don't think so or aren't admitting to it.

Toyota Yaris - replacement clutch under warranty? - madf

"Are they a known weakness on the Yaris? "

Not so given by the lack of posts on the Yaris Owners club Forum.

There appears to be much interest and posting on Toyota Club forum.

Even one appears to have been replaced 3 times to date under warranty.

Does anyone know whether a yaris 1.3 tr would have a dmf ?

Would other manual cars (eg the jazz?)have the same clutch system?

Are there any other possible explanations for the wear on a clutch plate which could be interpreted as driver error?

Thanks nice to know i am not alone. The dealer told me they had one go after 500 miles!

I have paid £943 under dispute, and am keeping the parts for an independanr review .

Toyota Yaris - replacement clutch under warranty? - gordonbennet

Are there two Birdiemen here, or is there a post or two missing?

Some serious clutch that at £943, Landcruiser one gone in this time has it.

Just by way of an update, and following continuing discussion, the Dealer has now been back to me, and a satisfatory conclusion has been reached.

Thanks to all of those who contributed.