Vauxhall Astra (2002) 1.6club 8Valve petrol - Oil Grade Options - haggisandneeps

I believe that currently the oil in my car is 15-40 semi-synthetic. The halfords listing in the store says either 15-40 or 10-40 semi-synthetic. I have just spoken to Kwikfit about an oil change and it would seem that they would use 0-40. (I did not ask about type so don't know if semi or full synthetic) Car has done 91,000miles and uses oil. What is the correct option?

Vauxhall Astra (2002) 1.6club 8Valve petrol - Oil Grade Options - RT

Find out what ACEA-A? grade Vauxhall actually specify for your engine - rather than part-synthetic or fully synthetic.

0W-40 is generally more expensive to get the wider range of viscosity, and usually fully synthetic. It's great using it throughout an engine's life but will be a waste of money - particularly in an engine that's using oil.

Once an engine's into the "using oil" time of it's life (assuming no leaks) then it's best to use the cheapest oil that meets the vehicle manufacturer's specification - you're going to need an ever-increasing amount of it as the engine wear can't be put back.

From memory, the 2002 1.6 8v engine needs 10W-40 ACEA-A3 - check in the handbook, as it's been a while since I had my Astra.