Reg Transfer - fitting plates & notifying insurer - Monaghan
I am transferring a reg from one vehicle to another (both mine). I understand that I will receive new tax discs quite quickly but that the new V5 certs will take longer. Should I / can I wait for the V5 before putting new plates on the vehicles? And, if I do delay the replating, at what stage should I notify my insurer? Finally, with all the ANPR devices that are around, is there a transition period when both reg numbers (old & new) will be treated as valid? - and, if not, at what stage of the transfer is ANPR programmed with the new reg? Thanks for any advice!
Reg Transfer - fitting plates & notifying insurer - RT

I did all mine in one day at the local DVLA office - they give you the VED disk straight away and the documentation necessary to get new plate made up - they don't take the old VED back so nothing changes initially.

With two VED disks in your possession you can choose when to get/fit the new plates. I notified my insurers by phone as soon as I'd switched plates. Mine was parked on private property at the time - if it's parked on the highway it's more complicated but that''s largely theoretical.

The plate authorisation runs out after a month, I think but by then the new V5C should be with you.

Logically, there must be links between the old and new numbers as DVLA don't know the actual date of the switch. In my case the DVLA vehicle check took longer to show the change than the MID insurance database - a couple of weeks compared to a couple of days.

There is a risk that ANPR might flag you up for a stop but since you've got all the relevent documentation for the police it's not an issue. Presumably ANPR uses the same database as the DVLA vehicle check so the new number may not appear for a couple of weeks.

Many thanks for your reply. I visited the local DVLA office on Monday and they took my V317, tax discs, V5s, MOT etc and said they would send out the replacement tax discs & documents. Apparently they deal with too many applications these days to issue everything on the spot. Your advice is much appreciated.

Reg Transfer - fitting plates & notifying insurer - Ubermik

how did you stand legally with not having a tax disc to display? I am about to put the number plates on the car I drive on retention but I need to still use the car and as I understand it even if a vehicle is legally taxed and shown on the database as being taxed its still an offence to not display a tax disc unless thats changed

the local DVLA office did not take the old tax discs - so they are still displayed on both vehicles - sorry for wrong info in previous post, they took everything apart from the tax discs

Edited by Monaghan on 23/11/2011 at 21:49

Reg Transfer - fitting plates & notifying insurer - Ubermik
P