Volkswagen Golf V TDI - Dubious service record from 'National Auto Centre' - asdf

I have just bought a second hand Golf V TDI with 89k on the clock which claims to have had the timing belt changed in the service book, although there is no invoice to go along with the entry. Having inspected the belt myself I find it hard to imagine it being 89k miles old. Obviously I am keen to establish whether this has been done, as the tick in the service book could have been added by anyone along the way. The stamp reads:

NATIONAL

AUTO CENTRE

IDL 3812

Can anyone shed any light on how I might find this garage to query their records? It is dated Jan 2010. Car was bought from the a dealer who naturally cannot help.

Any help or pointers much appreciated!

Volkswagen Golf V TDI - Dubious service record from 'National Auto Centre' - 659FBE

At that mileage it's easy to see if the belt has been changed.

The cambelt tensioner has a pointer and slot which are used to set the initial tension in the belt. With a cold engine, having pushed the vehicle forwards slightly in top gear to tension the belt, the pointer should be in the middle of the slot. This of course applies to a new belt - which will also have its lettering visible on the back.

As the belt wears, the pointer will move to the left as you look at it - on my AWX it had moved about 10mm when I changed the belt at 60k miles. After a further 10k miles, the pointer is still within the slot. The lettering had worn off the original belt and is still just readable on the present (Conti) belt.

I would be highly concerned that a National Chain garage would not understand the fitting and tensioning procedure. If there are any white marks anywhere - they did it wrongly...

Volkswagen Golf V TDI - Dubious service record from 'National Auto Centre' - asdf

Hi, thanks for your response - I forgot to mention a few important details:

belt allegedly changed at 66k miles, currently on 89k so done 23k on the new one

Engine is the 1.9 105PS TDI, car built late 2004 - not sure of the engine code, or how I find this out for certain?

I will have another look at it and the tensioner and see if I can see the pointer/slot arrangement. I do feel a bit nervous about the national chain aspect!

Cheers,

Alex

Volkswagen Golf V TDI - Dubious service record from 'National Auto Centre' - 659FBE

The engine code is on a paper label on the cam cover and is also included on the vehicle build list. This is a paper label fixed to the inside of the spare wheel well and is also on the front inside cover of the service book. It's usually a 3 letter code.

I would expect a belt which has done 23k miles to have just discernable lettering on the back (if it's a Conti belt) and I would expect the tensioner pointer to be just to the left of the slot when set to the conditions as detailed above.

On a PD engine I would regard it as essential to change the tensioner, small roller and the water pump at the time of a belt change. Look carefully to see if the water pump casting is brighter than the surrounding metal. Failure here is very damaging to the engine - VAG were stupid enough to put the pump on the tight side of the belt which severely shortens bearing life...

I should have said that the water pump casting should appear cleaner than the surrounding metal. The pump has a bright finish aluminium body and the cylinder block is grey cast iron.

Thanks for your help - sounds like a detailed inspection is called for.

The engine code is BKC

Cheers!

Alex