Student fees - tony g
Times higher educational supplement..Most graduates earn a considerable salary premium over those with two A-levels,

4000 police on the streets of London to marshall another student protest.

Given that the average graduate benefits from a substantially higher salary than the average worker,isn't it time that this priviledged minority ,stopped whining about having to contribute to their education .

Repayments on student loans don't start until they earn a reasonable amount.

How much does the extra policing Of demonstrations cost taxpayers.

Tony g
Student fees - bathtub tom

Oh come on, some of these 'students' will be studying things like the history of art, or doing media studies.

As far as I can make out, the former require a regal connection, whilst the latter come from 'yer local comprensive'.

Edited by bathtub tom on 09/11/2011 at 23:58

Student fees - Red&Bold

I agree, so far they haven't paid for anything themselves, very few will work during uni and rather take out a student loan, i think its time they started paying for their own education, instead of bumming off the average tax payer. I never went to uni, i joined the army instead and got myself a trade, now im working as a build and design engineer for a respectable company in civilian street. no harm done to me.

Student fees - Bobbin Threadbare

very few will work during uni and rather take out a student loan,

Not always true. I worked all the way through both my undergrad and PhD degrees. I also took a loan, as I was basically on my own financially. I pay the loan back through my wages.

I think the gist of the protest ought to be that the fees are very high for what a lot of courses actually will offer (I did meet a lot of people on muppet degrees with 6 hours of contact time a week when I had 20!) and that university shouldn't just be for the rich. I probably wouldn't go now - nine or ten years ago the system was simpler.

Student fees - tony g
How do we make degrees more relevant to the national economy.

As an earlier post said ,media studies ! Mediaval architecture ,why ! .weres the the relevance to anything productive.

The guy that does our minor dings / scratches ,has a degree in geography .

A sales rep that used to call for wel.... finance has a degree in town planning.

A total waste of a higher education.

Surely an education to a degree level should be considered a privelidge ,not a right.

Perhaps degrees in technical areas, engineering ,construction ,business management could be free .To encourage more people into them.
Student fees - bonzo dog

The entire problem arises from successive govts trying to push more & more young people into higher education ...largely to justify their claims that their education policies are working!

The costs are astronomic & like everything else traditionally state funded, HE has been looked at & deemed that those who will benefit most from HE should contribute towards it.

Personally I think HE should be entirely free but that the number of places should be cut back to those who have proved via academic & / or vocational application their worth.

Of course this won't happen as there is now far too great a belief that little Jordan & Kylie have a right to HE simply because they have reached the age of 18; it doesn't occurr to their parents that the fact that little Jordan & Kylie are both semi-literate should mean they are unsuitable for HE .... "Its there rite!"

As regards to the protesters, I've no doubt that most genuinely believe that HE should be free, as I do. Unfortunately most of them will take the view that the state should provide regardless of the cost; let's face it, they are of a generation (& a bit) brought up with this. I also suspect that most of them simply enjoy protesting & rallying against authority & if this disrupts the lives of others then so much the better.

Edited by bonzo dog on 10/11/2011 at 13:30

Student fees - tony g
Of course this won't happen as there is now far too great a belief that little Jordan & Kylie have a right to HE simply because they have reached the age of 18; it doesn't occurr to their parents that the fact that little Jordan & Kylie are both semi-literate should mean they are unsuitable for HE .... "Its there rite!"

Absolutely right ,we've educated more than one generation to bleat continuously about their rights ,a right to education ,housing ,healthcare.

We need to change that attitude from right to responsibility .ie
I'm responsible for my health ,my children ,my housing.

As an example huge numbers of people are obese ,this leads to many illnesses.
We expect the state to treat these free of charge.

The answer must be eat and drink less , be responsible.

If you benefit from higher education ,be responsible use your degree ,to benefit
Yourself and society.
Student fees - Bobbin Threadbare

Some of us try to do that - I don't have mickey mouse degrees.

I do think there are too many people going to uni though; it devalues the undergradute degree and means that you have to do a Master's or PhD to set yourself apart from others.

Student fees - Falkirk Bairn

I went to Uni nearly 50 years ago. I got fees paid and £240 (max) grant - say £2,000 in total. Full grant, although my parents had their own home but were in no way wealthy.

I paid tax at a higher rate for mostl of my working life.

I paid all the expenses for my 3 x sons whilst they were at Uni (no loans & no debts) - I did not pay fees as this was before Uni fees were thought of.

All 3 x sons are Higher rate taxpayers on their well above salaries ...............In their 30s their salaries dwarf my highest ever earnings of £60-£80K per year in the last 10 years of my working life.

Uni made a good return for me, for them and for the taxpayer - all 3 did engineering.

Student fees - tony g
Exactly the way further education should be,
A real benefit to the individual making the effort to obtain a degree.
An ever greater benefit to society as a whole ,plus degrees in something worthwhile .
Just thinking back to when I was doing o and a levels .That's showing my age .
I recall some of our teachers referring to pupils taking technical courses as metal bashers.
I believed at the time that history ,English literature etc had a greater value than technical subjects .
How naive ,perhaps that kind of attitude ,from the sixties ,is why the F E system is in the poor state it is.

Tony g
Student fees - Bromptonaut

I think the way the fees/loans thing has been presented in the media misleads. In reality the repayments work in almost exactly the same way a graduate tax would. There are almost no circumstances, unlike a mortgage or car loan, in which the whole sum can fall due and payable forthwith. But it probably looks and feels like a millstone when you graduate at 21 owing considerably more than my first mortgage. Incidentally, does the amount of loan outstanding have any bearing on the amount of mortgage a first time buyer might get at say 26?

While loans/fees were the glue that held the demo together there’s plenty more for students and wider youth to protest about and quite right that they should do so. The demo passed within a block of where I work. It provided an interesting sideshow (and an opportunity to make sure our business continuity planning was in order).

Quite a few other posters seem to view a degree as simply a vocational qualification. While subjects such as the ‘usual suspect’ media studies may be dubious History (ancient, modern or mediaeval), English Lit and dozens of other academic subjects are perfectly reasonably state supported. A degree shows one has the ability to study, apply oneself, read & analyse and then report cogently on differing sources and a hundred and one other things as well. Perfectly good preparation for a career in sales, commerce or whatever.

One of the brightest lawyers I’ve worked with in the last thirty years had a first degree in classics, plenty of judges read stuff other than law too. Somebody else I knew could write concise focussed ministerial advice one minute and easy read guides for the public the next; her degree was in music.

Horses for courses.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 11/11/2011 at 14:17